Live from Ascent’s second week long sailing ever!

Ben100014

We are on board January 7th so following your live report closely! 

We have been on the Beyond a few times, and our favourite bartender was transferred over to the Ascent. 

His name is Mauriti and he worked at the Sunset Bar…he’s the best! 

Hoping he is on board so if you are at the Sunset Bar, maybe look for him 😊 and let me know. 

Are the solo guitarist still playing at the sunset bar?

Thanks for posting your thoughts on everything. These are always fun to follow along! 

3 hours ago, Koohiichan said:

Thanks for this live report. It’s getting me excited for our New Years cruise. Would you mind telling me where the plunge pools are? (I cruised Apex last year but don’t remember seeing those on that ship.)

Thanks,

Koohiichan

Edge and Apex do not have the plunge pools…

Will be on E Class first time on new Ascent Feb 11.  Great information.  Once we are on board walking around ship, these posts come back to mind after reading with the “oh, OK, this is what they were talking about” .  Gleaning good insights.

We have a booked time MDR seating - someone on one of the pre cruises said you can ask for any of the 4 MDR restaurant menus wherever you are seated and order your choices and they will be served where you are.  Have you been told that?

Plunge pools look interesting - how many people can they accommodate?

9 hours ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

Will be on E Class first time on new Ascent Feb 11.  Great information.  Once we are on board walking around ship, these posts come back to mind after reading with the “oh, OK, this is what they were talking about” .  Gleaning good insights.

We have a booked time MDR seating - someone on one of the pre cruises said you can ask for any of the 4 MDR restaurant menus wherever you are seated and order your choices and they will be served where you are.  Have you been told that?

Plunge pools look interesting - how many people can they accommodate?

WE too will be boarding on the 11th for a week before heading over to Beyond for a B2B!  Looking forward to the two Edge ships. Sailed Beyond last year and enjoyed it. Posted a live from…..See you on board. 

Cheers! 

4 minutes ago, sun bum said:

Sailing the Ascent in January 2024. Wondering what night the new "Shine the Night" deck party takes place?

Do you have anymore information of what this party is and is it because its a new ship? I sail 2/18 on Ascent. TY

23 hours ago, mikeysed said:

Do you have anymore information of what this party is and is it because its a new ship? I sail 2/18 on Ascent. TY

All i 've seen is a video on Celebrity Cruises Facebook page showing the party outside on the pool deck. Most everyone is dressed in "sparkly clothes". The DJ is located above the pool bar where the large light installation is. There is a guy dressed in all silver with a very large disco ball for a head. It's takes the place of the old white party.

• Thanks 1

Like OP, I am loving this ship and this cruise. We have eaten at Rooftop Garden Grill and Fine Cuts. Both were Exceptional. The filet at Rooftop was marvelous! We try Eden tonight.

Note - this is a Celebrity issue, not (just) an Ascent issue. I am NOT impressed with the wines included on the ‘premium’ package. Every wine I used to enjoy is now at least $2 per glass over the ‘premium’ limit of $17 per glass. In the olden days, the sommelier kept refilling my glass when the wines I enjoyed were on the package. Now they let it get empty as they are apparently measuring ‘by the glass’ for those that want an upgrade to the included wines.

The staff / crew that we have talked to all got on in October, and their contracts seem to end as early as March and as late as May.

8 hours ago, DingoMom said:

Note - this is a Celebrity issue, not (just) an Ascent issue. I am NOT impressed with the wines included on the ‘premium’ package. Every wine I used to enjoy is now at least $2 per glass over the ‘premium’ limit of $17 per glass. In

Couldn’t agree more!  We loved Ascent but found the wine selection by the glass along with the prices to be a major disappointment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Couldn’t agree more!  We loved Ascent but found the wine selection by the glass along with the prices to be a major disappointment. 

This is one of the main drivers behind my starting to consume more cocktails than wine when cruising. 

Just now, DaKahuna said:

This is one of the main drivers behind my starting to consume more cocktails than wine when cruising. 

We did as well.  As a matter of fact, we spent a great deal of time at the World Class bar overlooking the Martini Bar and enjoying the music.  The craft cocktails are great but even some of those are now priced over the $17 limit.  One thing I noticed was that this bar was full service with the bartenders serving wine as well as other cocktails that weren't on the bar menu.  I told DH that I thought that the WCB on S class ships only served what was on their cocktail menu.  I could very well be misremembering but I was impressed with the full bar set up on Ascent.

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The craft cocktails are great but even some of those are now priced over the $17 limit.  One thing I noticed was that this bar was full service with the bartenders serving wine as well as other cocktails that weren't on the bar menu.  I told DH that I thought that the WCB on S class ships only served what was on their cocktail menu.  I could very well be misremembering but I was impressed with the full bar set up on Ascent.

That is disappointing to hear. 

I have been able to get a drink not on the menu at the WCB but only simple things like a shot of Zacapa XO.  I have not asked for a regular cocktail, or anything out of the ordinary at the WCB as I have heard them tell others they only served from their menu. 

I do not have to worry about it for my next cruise as there is no WCB on the Millennium.  

I do plan to try and spend more time at Cellar Masters just to see what they have and hopefully enjoy some peaceful entertainment. 

On 12/11/2023 at 9:37 AM, LuckyCruiser60 said:

Thanks Ben!  I'll be sailing on the Ascent Jan 7th-14th.  I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts and insights!  Enjoy!!

I’ll watch for your comments we are sailing in April.  My disappointment with the Beyond was the shows and I assume the As ent is following in that same vein:  acrobatics and lots of stage movement  ugh!