Aft cabin - Arvia

doog442

Hi all - would very much appreciate your advice/guidance. First post and first cruise. Our bid for a cabin upgrade from inside to smaller balcony was successful and we’ve been offered aft deck 15 under the infinity pool. I’ve read about DJ playing loudly for 4-5 hours every night. Does anyone know what kind of time it finishes? We’d love the view and balcony but wondering whether best not to accept the upgrade and keep out inside cabin due to potential noise. What would you advise to choose in this situation? We have 48hours to decide. Many thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Clothirks said:

Hi all - would very much appreciate your advice/guidance. First post and first cruise. Our bid for a cabin upgrade from inside to smaller balcony was successful and we’ve been offered aft deck 15 under the infinity pool. I’ve read about DJ playing loudly for 4-5 hours every night. Does anyone know what kind of time it finishes? We’d love the view and balcony but wondering whether best not to accept the upgrade and keep out inside cabin due to potential noise. What would you advise to choose in this situation? We have 48hours to decide. Many thanks in advance!

Is this Arvia Caribbean? If so which date.

8 hours ago, Clothirks said:

My understanding is that when you make an upgrade bid and it is accepted you cannot back out of it, so I don’t think that’s an option for you. People often overlook the fact that upgrades are always allocated and there is going to be a risk that you might end up with a cabin that has some issues.

However, getting that out of the way, I would be happy with the outcome in your case. A balcony cabin absolutely transforms a cruise experience for the better (for countless reasons) and aft cabins are usually quite desirable as the outlook is lovely and you don’t tend to get noise from other guests walking past your cabin late at night. You may hear noise from the Sunset bar, but up on deck 15 it will be less problematic than lower decks. It sounds as though it doesn’t go on until the early hours. Being higher up you will also be less affected by the Sun canopies on the Sunset bar deck that can affect the outlook from lower aft cabins. I can’t advise on the infinity pool issue and I know that’s a problem that many have reported but, frankly, I’d rather have a shower of water on my balcony from time to time than have an inside cabin. Depending on when you go, the new ships can feel quite busy and crowded compared to the older ships and you might be very glad to have the private outdoor space. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Clothirks said:

I'm not being picky but which cabin have you been offered as I don't think there are any cabins on deck 15 (exactly) immediately below the infinity pool?

image.png.b9184517be8f54fe4f654d4b4581dd81.pngimage.png.42e368f7bbbf12f532dec78db00d06b2.png

I don't think that you will hear any music from the Sunset Bar on deck 8. Even if you did from memory it finished at 10pm. On our August cruise there was a "Silent" Disco one evening around the Infinity Bar deck 16 which finished at 11pm (and they are anything but "silent" with lots of passengers singing along). However, that may have been exclusive to an August school holidays sailing.

Personally I'd take the risk and accept the upgrade as I'd much prefer a balcony cabin over an inside but only you can decide. 

26 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I'm not being picky but which cabin have you been offered as I don't think there are any cabins on deck 15 (exactly) immediately below the infinity pool?

image.png.b9184517be8f54fe4f654d4b4581dd81.pngimage.png.42e368f7bbbf12f532dec78db00d06b2.png

I don't think that you will hear any music from the Sunset Bar on deck 8. Even if you did from memory it finished at 10pm. On our August cruise there was a "Silent" Disco one evening around the Infinity Bar deck 16 which finished at 11pm (and they are anything but "silent" with lots of passengers singing along). However, that may have been exclusive to an August school holidays sailing.

Personally I'd take the risk and accept the upgrade as I'd much prefer a balcony cabin over an inside but only you can decide. 

Looks like 15738 and 15739 are in the splash zone! There was a ‘silent’ disco in the atrium on Iona when we were on her in August. It drowned out the 710 Club performance that we were watching and it was so silent we could still hear it when we returned to our midships cabin on deck 10. As I said at the time, never have so many tone deaf people been gathered together in one place 😂 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, DamianG said:

The smaller balcony cabins are dark orange, so I assume it be one of 15730 - 15733.

• 1 month later...

Just a live update. Yes we have thumping music from the sunset bar below us...it tends to be when the DJ is in situ...the other day we had Ibiza dance tunes for a good couple of hours ramped up. I'm open minded and also enjoy my music but after two hours we had to shut the door....shame as we have a large aft facing balcony but this was headache inducing and we're 3 floors up.

We've just had the same today which is still ongoing,combined with some drunken ladies shreaking in the jacuzzi for the last hour it's a little lively.

That aside the view is exceptional,  nothing coming down from the infinity pool water wise I'm aware of and we had some heavy seas off Puerto Rico yesterday.

I'd liken the noise as to being above a swimming pool at a hotel with thumping music blaring out where you'd probably ask for a move if you didn't have such a special view, larger than average balcony and of course at night no corridor noise.

9 hours ago, doog442 said:

Just a live update. Yes we have thumping music from the sunset bar below us...it tends to be when the DJ is in situ...the other day we had Ibiza dance tunes for a good couple of hours ramped up. I'm open minded and also enjoy my music but after two hours we had to shut the door....shame as we have a large aft facing balcony but this was headache inducing and we're 3 floors up.

We've just had the same today which is still ongoing,combined with some drunken ladies shreaking in the jacuzzi for the last hour it's a little lively.

That aside the view is exceptional,  nothing coming down from the infinity pool water wise I'm aware of and we had some heavy seas off Puerto Rico yesterday.

I'd liken the noise as to being above a swimming pool at a hotel with thumping music blaring out where you'd probably ask for a move if you didn't have such a special view, larger than average balcony and of course at night no corridor noise.

Oh dear, we are on Iona in October in an aft suite, deck 12. What time of day and for how long is the DJ in situ?

This thumping music was unbearable on Arvia last Caribbean season. We complained to the butler and because other aft cabin/suites had complained to him, he had it stopped. It was such a shame to have the fabulous wrap round balcony but having to retreat inside when the DJ started. We now cruise on Britannia aft suites as they have no bar or hot tubs beneath, just the lovely swaying wake!

12 hours ago, doog442 said:

28 minutes ago, silkworms said:

This thumping music was unbearable on Arvia last Caribbean season. We complained to the butler and because other aft cabin/suites had complained to him, he had it stopped. It was such a shame to have the fabulous wrap round balcony but having to retreat inside when the DJ started. We now cruise on Britannia aft suites as they have no bar or hot tubs beneath, just the lovely swaying wake!

Let’s hope it only occurs in the Caribbean. 

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Let’s hope it only occurs in the Caribbean. 

Sadly not. The review I initially saw that mentioned the thumping music was on a Med cruise I presume as it was filmed in August.

Anyway today we have a sea day and between 2pm and 4.30 pm we have DJ Riggsy and his same thumping Ibiza chill out tunes... which rather lacks imagination as we're in the Caribbean...😏

5 hours ago, smokey01 said:

Oh dear, we are on Iona in October in an aft suite, deck 12. What time of day and for how long is the DJ in situ?

On Arvia 2pm -4.30 pm weather permitting. This is certainly the case on sea days. However in La Romana yesterday it got really ramped up from 4pm until 7pm as they tried desperately to create some sort of party atmosphere. Can I just add I expect background music at a bar which is fine, you can hear it but it's not intrusive but this is something else.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:41 PM, doog442 said:

On Arvia 2pm -4.30 pm weather permitting. This is certainly the case on sea days. However in La Romana yesterday it got really ramped up from 4pm until 7pm as they tried desperately to create some sort of party atmosphere. Can I just add I expect background music at a bar which is fine, you can hear it but it's not intrusive but this is something else.

I have to say im surprised by all the comments re loud music from the Sunset Bar, we returned last weekend from the 14 day Arvia cruise and we had a suite cabin on deck 9 right above the bar and for all the time there we never heard any loud music and we did use our balcony every day for long periods, we also had our freinds with us who had balcony cabins and they would end up in the Sunset Bar every afternoon so when we saw them down there would join them and again never any loud music.

Sure there was music playing but never to a volumn that was unacceptable so I can only assume something has changed this week.

6 hours ago, Cash123 said:

I have to say im surprised by all the comments re loud music from the Sunset Bar, we returned last weekend from the 14 day Arvia cruise and we had a suite cabin on deck 9 right above the bar and for all the time there we never heard any loud music and we did use our balcony every day for long periods, we also had our freinds with us who had balcony cabins and they would end up in the Sunset Bar every afternoon so when we saw them down there would join them and again never any loud music.

Sure there was music playing but never to a volumn that was unacceptable so I can only assume something has changed this week.

Something had changed I'm afraid... however total silence this evening which I presume was down to justifiable complaints.The sun is setting,G&T in hand and it's just perfect as we leave for Antigua.

• Like 2