My LONG Celebration Story - 11/26/23 to 12/03/23

mlshum

4 minutes ago, mlshum said:

I am so so sorry that part of this story disappeared again!  Cruise Critic won't let me edit so here is the part that "fell out this time.  Hopefully, I won't have this problem going forward.  Thanks so much for your patience with me!

We sat down and Misso started.  Suddenly, I did not feel well at all.  I excused myself for a minute. I   thought my problems would pass quickly but they instead started getting worse very quickly.  I knew pretty immediately what was wrong.  I had a UTI.  I have them pretty often, but I’d never had one come on this fast and this hard before. 

This is how a box of AZO got it's place in my to go kit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mlshum said:

I just finished writing about that!  Part of my last post....the most important part....somehow disappeared so I just got the details posted.  I appreciate that.  It's never fun to be sick on vacation!

I just found your post. It’s incredible how severe a UTI can be, and how quickly yours came on.  At least you knew what it was, but how miserable to not be able to see a doctor until morning. Honestly on these huge cruise ships, they should have some sort of medical available 24/7.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I just found your post. It’s incredible how severe a UTI can be, and how quickly yours came on.  At least you knew what it was, but how miserable to not be able to see a doctor until morning. Honestly on these huge cruise ships, they should have some sort of medical available 24/7.

A UTI is awful and not something to take lightly and I agree, there should have been medical 24/7.  What if someone breaks their arm?  Wait till 8am?  That doesn't seem responsible of a ship that has passengers captive with no outside recourse.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

This is how a box of AZO got it's place in my to go kit.

Exactly!  That will now be in our little first aid kit every time.  I never occurred to me before....I will never forget it again!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Yes!  Here you go:

Thank you so much!  Now I need to find a little downtime to read this!  Ron will probably die of embarrassment if he'd featured.  That is, unless he's still "owning it" this much later.  LOL

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I was glad it didn't take longer than that and I didn't have further to go!  I've always felt so sorry for people who have to go to the hospital while on vacation.  I can't say enjoy nice things about the ships medical center.  They were fantastic!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

A UTI is awful and not something to take lightly and I agree, there should have been medical 24/7.  What if someone breaks their arm?  Wait till 8am?  That doesn't seem responsible of a ship that has passengers captive with no outside recourse.

You know, I really hadn't thought of that before but you're absolutely right.  I wonder if there was an actual emergency if they would open for that particular instance?  I'd think they'd almost have to be available.  I seem to remember seeing a number on the phone for emergency service when I called to get info on what I needed to do.  Hopefully that is the case.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mlshum said:

Thank you so much!  Now I need to find a little downtime to read this!  Ron will probably die of embarrassment if he'd featured.  That is, unless he's still "owning it" this much later.  LOL

No, he’s safe; I try not to feature other “civilians” on the ship, because they might be comfortable with being in front of people you’ll never see again ON the ship, but you never know who sees stuff on the Internet!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mlshum said:

You know, I really hadn't thought of that before but you're absolutely right.  I wonder if there was an actual emergency if they would open for that particular instance?  I'd think they'd almost have to be available.  I seem to remember seeing a number on the phone for emergency service when I called to get info on what I needed to do.  Hopefully that is the case.

Well on my Royal Caribbean trip in October, there was a major medical emergency in the middle of the night where the doctor needed someone with a particular blood type for a transfusion—I know this because they annouced which blood type they needed into the staterooms. They found someone, stabilized the patient, and a helicopter emergency transfer was made.  So I think for real emergencies medical does spring into action

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

No, he’s safe; I try not to feature other “civilians” on the ship, because they might be comfortable with being in front of people you’ll never see again ON the ship, but you never know who sees stuff on the Internet!

That's so true!  Probably a really good policy! He's a good sport and I know he'd just laugh about it!

• Like 2

Well on my Royal Caribbean trip in October, there was a major medical emergency in the middle of the night where the doctor needed someone with a particular blood type for a transfusion—I know this because they annouced which blood type they needed into the staterooms. They found someone, stabilized the patient, and a helicopter emergency transfer was made.  So I think for real emergencies medical does spring into action

Wow!  That's terrifying!  I hope that person made a full recovery.  Very scary!  I think they would almost have to be flexible with emergency situations.  I know the one person that a ship can't sail without is the ship's doctor....not the captain...the doctor.

• Like 1

Wow!!  That sounds very intense!  I don't even know my blood type but my DH could maybe help out since he's a universal donor.  Blood banks love him🥰

• Like 3

Just now, ninjacat123 said:

Wow!!  That sounds very intense!  I don't even know my blood type but my DH could maybe help out since he's a universal donor.  Blood banks love him🥰

I'll bet he's the most popular person at the blood drive!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mlshum said:

Wow!  That's terrifying!  I hope that person made a full recovery.  Very scary!  I think they would almost have to be flexible with emergency situations.  I know the one person that a ship can't sail without is the ship's doctor....not the captain...the doctor.

Yes, we heard that they made a full recovery. It also scared the heck out of me getting an announcement in the room in the middle of the night—put me right on edge, but was glad they could find help for the patient.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mlshum said:

I'll bet he's the most popular person at the blood drive!

They are always hitting him up.  I was for years "person non grata" for blood donation because I lived in London in 1987 for 6 months.  The blood people said I could have mad cow disease.  Now, I guess they're not worried about that.  Unless I start mooing😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Yes, we heard that they made a full recovery. It also scared the heck out of me getting an announcement in the room in the middle of the night—put me right on edge, but was glad they could find help for the patient.

Oh I can imagine that would be terrifying!

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

They are always hitting him up.  I was for years "person non grata" for blood donation because I lived in London in 1987 for 6 months.  The blood people said I could have mad cow disease.  Now, I guess they're not worried about that.  Unless I start mooing😉

That’s hysterical!  lol. I suggested to Ron once that we give blood.  He agreed to it.  When we got there we were told they would be taking our blood pressure and it had to be under a certain amount.  I struggle with high blood pressure.  Unfortunately mine was too high and they wouldn’t take my blood.  Ron was safe, however, and they did take his.  As we left he wanted to know if I had any other “fun couple’s activities” planned.  Lol

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I had the same issue for the longest time because I lived in Germany during that same time period. But along with Mad Cow there was also Chernobyl fallout so I doubly couldn't donate.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

We saw an incident with emergency response a few cruises ago as well. We were sitting and chatting with a couple when the guy seemed to drift off to sleep. No biggie, we were on sun loungers in Serenity. We continued to chat with her for a bit and then she said they had planned to get some pictures of the port. She woke him up and he seemed okay at first but then he kind of slumped back on to the chair. She roused him again, but then he fell to the floor. There was a crew member there by the hot tubs and he had basic first aid training.  They tried to get him water and wet a cloth for his head. Within a few minutes two guys with bigger bags of supplies showed up, started doing blood pressure etc.  Up until then, I had been basically patting the lady’s back and trying to reassure her. She was calm at that point, so after making sure she was okay, we left the area to give the medical team more room. No idea how things turned out. But they were definitely on call. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

We saw an incident with emergency response a few cruises ago as well. We were sitting and chatting with a couple when the guy seemed to drift off to sleep. No biggie, we were on sun loungers in Serenity. We continued to chat with her for a bit and then she said they had planned to get some pictures of the port. She woke him up and he seemed okay at first but then he kind of slumped back on to the chair. She roused him again, but then he fell to the floor. There was a crew member there by the hot tubs and he had basic first aid training.  They tried to get him water and wet a cloth for his head. Within a few minutes two guys with bigger bags of supplies showed up, started doing blood pressure etc.  Up until then, I had been basically patting the lady’s back and trying to reassure her. She was calm at that point, so after making sure she was okay, we left the area to give the medical team more room. No idea how things turned out. But they were definitely on call. 

It’s good to know they were available.  I think emergency services would have to be available with that many people on board.

On 12/16/2023 at 2:47 PM, mlshum said:

I am so so sorry that part of this story disappeared again!  Cruise Critic won't let me edit so here is the part that "fell out this time.  Hopefully, I won't have this problem going forward.  Thanks so much for your patience with me!

We sat down and Misso started.  Suddenly, I did not feel well at all.  I excused myself for a minute. I   thought my problems would pass quickly but they instead started getting worse very quickly.  I knew pretty immediately what was wrong.  I had a UTI.  I have them pretty often, but I’d never had one come on this fast and this hard before. 

Those are the WORST. Hope you healed up quickly! 

• Like 1