Bit of a blog - HAL Oosterdam - South America & Antarctica - Dec/Jan 2023/24

NorbertsNiece

15 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Letter regarding missed port of call tomorrow 

So sorry to hear that you had to miss Punta del Estes, but I think it is wonderful that the captain did his captain’s talk with so much detail on the seas and weather.  

I don’t mind missing a port when the communication on the situation is that good. About 6 years ago, we were on a Viking Ocean cruise and missed two out of 4 ports (Algeria and Sardinia) and people were upset, but the communication on that particular cruise from the captain and crew was quite poor.  

Also thank you for your information re the Panama Canal talk—we might have decided to not go, except that we ARE interested in how the Canal affected shipping in this part of South America.

• Like 1

This is the 2nd outdoor pool and bar. The main pool can be, and currently is, covered.

We don't get turn down at night..... Nurdin, our room steward left us a towel animal and chocolates this morning ❤️

20231219_160338.jpg

20231219_161325.jpg

20231219_161409.jpg

20231219_161415.jpg

Herbal tea selection available on board

20231219_162614.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorbertsNiece said:

We dressed up for dressy night.

I’m impressed! You look fantastic.  We travel light…carryons only.  My DH will have black dress pants, white shirt and 3 ties.  I will have a black skirt and 3 dressy tops.  We eat in the MDR every night unless we are in a specialty restaurant.  My fellow cruises on the 1/29 sailing will be happy to know that we will be using the excellent HAL laundry services.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

We don't get turn down at night..... Nurdin, our room steward left us a towel animal and chocolates this morning ❤️

I assume (hope) that is by your choice, rather than the stewards are not doing it.  This topic has been discussed elsewhere, with a few people saying they weren't offered it, whereas most, think it is by the guests choice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I assume (hope) that is by your choice, rather than the stewards are not doing it.  This topic has been discussed elsewhere, with a few people saying they weren't offered it, whereas most, think it is by the guests choice.

Yes. We were asked if we wanted it and we declined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We arrive in Puerto Madryn tomorrow afternoon. We will probably take a walk around ashore. The day after tomorrow we have a very early excursion start.

While Puerto Madryn has roots from the British Isles, the scenery is unmistakably Patagonian, with sweeping vistas and colonies of sea lions and penguins. Somewhat unexpectedly, this Argentinean resort is named after a Welsh baron, one of a number who left their home country during the Industrial Revolution, due to the economic impact it had on rural communities. Somewhat ironically, it was the boom of large-scale manufacturing here, particularly the aluminum factory, that has seen Puerto Madryn flourish, and its current population of around 70,000 is more than ten times the number of residents in the 1970s. Today the legacy of the Welsh settlers who arrived in the 1860s is more or less limited to street names in Puerto Madryn itself.

• Like 2

I am enjoying reading the Daily in anticipation of my cruise.  Is “Ed” your cruise director?  If so, I always find the morning Coffee chats enjoyable.  I always loved the Culinary demonstrations and am very happy to see them back.   I have never seen a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet posted on the Daily.  I am anxious to hear your impressions of the “almost a seas day events”. Wishing you a fabulous day!

• Thanks 1

Had a wonderful CC Meet and Mingle this morning organised by a roll call member; she did an amazing job. Much fun at the gift exchange.

We're currently tying up in Puerto Madryn. Right below our Verandah is a seal. I video-ed it for over 4 minutes as we neared it's resting place in the hope of catching it slip into the water but it stayed there until I couldn't see it anymore!

20231220_135105.thumb.jpg.883b42564bdaae963bf8dc7eede13288.jpg

20231220_135125.thumb.jpg.036635b862906a6653d2d54cc66bbd90.jpg

20231220_135458.thumb.jpg.b0b7b9b2548c411636805b9d370a4b61.jpg

20231220_135538.thumb.jpg.1a7ce34a31071e401bc2af570feca77f.jpg

20231220_140059.thumb.jpg.ffce66850f5aac1bc8f8dd9ddc637e8a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jo-D said:

I'm on the Jan 7 2024 version of this cruise (in a room three doors down from yours, apparently) and I REALLY appreciate you posting all this!  

Right? Isn’t this blog wonderful? Every morning over coffee I’m sharing it with my hubby.

And see you on the Jan 7 cruise @Jo-D!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you NorbertsNiece for this amazing "take us along."  I'm a Travel Advisor and have a couple onboard your cruise, so I'm loving the fact I can follow along.  If you meet Dick and Patty from Syracuse , tell them Marilyn said Hello.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise -- I'm loving traveling along with you via your posts!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1