Ideas for celebrating birthday on a Sea Day

kag3120

Although we’ve done a couple VO cruises, they were both very port intensive. So we didn’t spend much time learning all what the ship has to offer. Our upcoming cruise (New Zealand, Australia, and Bali) is a longer one with plenty of sea days. Including my husband’s birthday. 

For you more experienced cruisers, do you have some suggestions about what I might plan to do to celebrate the occasion on board that might be fun/ different besides just booking a restaurant reservation?  Thanks for your ideas!

If you notify Viking using the tellus email address, they will arrange something for your stateroom. We have done this several times with "something" ranging from most recently chocolate covered strawberries (anniversary) to the first time, a nice small carrot cake and a bottle of wine (both of our birthdays on the same cruise). 

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

If you notify Viking using the tellus email address, they will arrange something for your stateroom

I never notify Viking of any occasions,  but they always seem to find out.  My birthday fell during our Med. Antiquities cruise this year, and on the morning on my birthday, everyone, from the captain to our room steward, wished me a happy birthday, by name.  They brought me a special cake at Manfredis that night and everyone sang.  It was really quite embarrassing, in a fun sort of way.  

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Avery said:

Everyone's birthday is on record in your Viking profile from the first time you book.

Yes, but after spending several anniversaries onboard, they seem to know that, too.  On this last cruise, the CD told me that a memo goes around to everyone with each days’ birthday people.  Now, 2024 will be interesting, because I celebrate my birthday the day we disembark.  After birthday breakfast on the ship, I get to spend the rest of my birthday at LAX 😕

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, but after spending several anniversaries onboard, they seem to know that, too.  On this last cruise, the CD told me that a memo goes around to everyone with each days’ birthday people.  Now, 2024 will be interesting, because I celebrate my birthday the day we disembark.  After birthday breakfast on the ship, I get to spend the rest of my birthday at LAX 😕

Does not get much better than that.....😱

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Everyone's birthday is on record in your Viking profile from the first time you book.

Normally that's true, and in my profile my birthday is correct.  However, on our last cruise they must have transposed the numbers because I got to celebrate my birthday early.  The housekeeping staff really enjoyed the chocolate cake with strawberries 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone. We have had the good fortune of celebrating an anniversary and Viking sent us a gorgeous little cake. But what I was looking for were things that were offered on sea days to do that aren’t necessarily advertised. Like I’ve heard there’s a cognac tasting?  I’ve read about different classes or other things on board sometimes offered on sea days. Just don’t know what they are as we never took advantage. 

Jim Avery—a party with 12 friends would be fun. Too bad we don’t know anybody else on the cruise!  Not sure we’re charming enough to make 12 new friends so fast😊 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

@kag3120 as soon as you board, head to guest services to find out about the various events like tastings and ship tours. 

We had several sea days on our last cruise. We stopped at guest services before going to our stateroom and booked a tour of the bridge, a galley tour, and a cooking class.

15 hours ago, kag3120 said:

Thanks everyone. We have had the good fortune of celebrating an anniversary and Viking sent us a gorgeous little cake. But what I was looking for were things that were offered on sea days to do that aren’t necessarily advertised. Like I’ve heard there’s a cognac tasting?  I’ve read about different classes or other things on board sometimes offered on sea days. Just don’t know what they are as we never took advantage. 

Jim Avery—a party with 12 friends would be fun. Too bad we don’t know anybody else on the cruise!  Not sure we’re charming enough to make 12 new friends so fast😊 🙂

On our New Zealand/Australia cruise there was a gin tasting and a champagne tasting. There may have also been a cocktail class. They announced them on board & we had to sign up for them. We were unexpectedly stuck at sea for 8 days, so these were nice to help fill those days.

@kag3120 Did you join your roll call for the cruise?  Is there a Meet & Mingle set up?  Maybe you can "get to know" some folks pre-cruise or at the M&M.  

I don't know about spa things but what about getting foot massages or other treatments?  We did the Bali to Sydney and we did a Martini  tasting which I found to be fun and interesting - and I'm not a Martini drinker usually.  I'd probably start my birthday with waffle at Mamsen's. 🙂 ...and maybe a mimosa for dessert?

• Like 1

Thanks to all. The champagne, martini, gin tastings etc would be fun. 🍸🥂🍷🍹

hopefully one of them will be offered on his birthday. 

Thanks for the reminder about joining the Roll Call. We’re doing the NZ/Aus/ Bali (31 days) so maybe we WILL have  12 new friends!  Appreciate all the ideas!

• Like 2