January 7th NCL Star cruise to Antarctica , Argentina and Chile with a 10 day stay photo travelogue

scubacruiserx2

Any chance you can post a Daily or two as the cruise goes on? In particular, I'm interested in the lectures, when they're scheduled, and whether they're replayed later on TV...

5 hours ago, TQuila said:

Any chance you can post a Daily or two as the cruise goes on? In particular, I'm interested in the lectures, when they're scheduled, and whether they're replayed later on TV...

I won’t be posting the Daily, but I can tell what the lectures are if you like . I will post photos of the Freestyle Daily’s after we get home. Along with many other photos of the trip.
Scheduled lectures tomorrow are Intro to the Antarctica Program, A Short History of the End of the World,

I have not seen any lectures on tv yet.

• Like 2

It's getting more windy , and colder . We had to offload a guy at Mar del Plata for a medical issue . We hope and pray that they are getting the treatment that they need and that they are getting better . 
CC Meeting went well. Several officers, Cruise Director and Food and Beverage showed up. Thank you ziggyuk for your planning and organizing.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bluenose1 said:

Great review. Thank you very much. Did you ever cross the antarctic circle ? Once again thank you. 

Not quite, the Antarctic Circle is at 66.57 Degrees south, most cruise ships get to about 65 degrees south at Paradise Bay.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not quite, the Antarctic Circle is at 66.57 Degrees south, most cruise ships get to about 65 degrees south at Paradise Bay.

6 hours ago, bluenose1 said:

Great review. Thank you very much. Did you ever cross the antarctic circle ? Once again thank you. 

We got closer than Mic, but did not actually cross the Antarctic Circle. We did get our Blue Nose when we crossed the Arctic Circle,  north of Iceland.

• Like 1

Missed Punta Arenas today because of strong winds and winds affects on the tenders. Weather was forecast to get worse.Currently cruising toward Glacier Alley in light steady rain and fog. Projected arrival at Glacier Alley is 20:00?

We are scheduled to arrive Ushuaia 2 hours early at 8:00am.

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Saturday, January 13th, arrived Ushuaia at 08:00 and left at 17:00.

Cruising to Antarctica by way of Drake “shake”. Loud and bouncy night. 15 foot ways, windy and on and off rain. 
Princess ship seen returning this morning. Looking forward to calmer weather and Antarctica.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 3:03 PM, TQuila said:

If you find the “book of face” group for the Norwegian Star South America and Antarctica group, go to the files link. The dailies are posted there. 

Edited by aggie311

Hope the transit thru the Shake isn’t too bad for you @scubacruiserx2 

Sorry you missed Punta Arenas, but look forward to this year’s photos from the straight.

felling a bit envious as I watch light snow fall gently outside. Pretty outside but missing the thrill of Antarctica!

On 1/7/2024 at 6:29 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

But now we don’t know, but will update when we find out.

Your thread has been quiet.  Hope all is ok.  I’m interested in the current embarkation process in Buenos Aires.  How did it go for you?

They would be in Antarctica now and will likely have no satellite coverage for 4-5 days weather dependent, so wifi would be dodgy. We will have the same issues with iffy wifi. For our cruise. They get to the Falklands on the 18th.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:29 AM, MicCanberra said:

They would be in Antarctica now and will likely have no satellite coverage for 4-5 days weather dependent, so wifi would be dodgy. We will have the same issues with iffy wifi. For our cruise. They get to the Falklands on the 18th.

Currently in El Chalten , Argentina hiking Mt. Fitzroy . Wind speed of 100 Km. per hour at Torre’s del Paine , Chile on Tuesday . Almost as windy today with rain . Gas line for rental car was 1 hour . There was a strike Wednesday protesting new presidents policies that shut down many flights . We are scheduled to fly to BA Saturday and home on Sunday . We will review the cruise and post photos after we return . We will answer some questions in a general manner if we can , saving some for the review .

• Like 2

A word to the wise . When we flew from AEP domestic in BA we had to by a suitcase to meet the 15 K maximum weight . We could carry the same weight in 3 bags , but not the 2 checked bags that we had brought internationally . We locked it with a lock from our carry on . When we arrived at El Calafate we found that the lock and the zipper holders that you put the lock thru had been broken . Nothing was taken but the main compartment cannot be locked . Also , Pat’s large suit case had been open and the contents had been rearranged , again nothing taken but it was still locked with the same type of lock that was broken on the other suitcase ! Weird . We may have to invest in the cellophane suitcase wrap for insurance.

Edited by scubacruiserx2