LIVE from the Viking Neptune World Cruise includes FTL and LA

BobCatter

Fabulous photos and information posted on this thread.  I will miss reading updates from those of you who will be leaving the cruise, but understand why you have made the decision.  It must have been a tough choice, and one I am glad that I did not have to make.  For those of you who are staying onboard, I hope that you will continue to post when you have the time.  It's wonderful to dream of our future cruises, and plan what and how we would want to do things based on information and photos that allow us to sail vicariously with you.

Your time and dedication to updating this thread is much appreciated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Wavetripper said:

All things being equal. Meeting up would be a good day on the 8th.  The 9th not so much at this point, flight times you know.

Yep, that’s what I’m thinking. We will be sightseeing with our niece and her gf and will plan on doing the trip up the Thames or maybe back, see the Observatory, Neptune out in the river (hmm, wonder if we could come on as guests?), and meet anyone who is interested at a Greenwich pub.

12 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So what’s the Neptune’s population after leaving Singapore.  Sky reportedly now has 620 with over a hundred doing the Indian overland. 

My understanding was that as of Singapore, ~250 people had left. India Overland has ~150 going, plus several other privately organized India tours totally another 60 people or so. We started with 848 world cruisers as we left LA. 

7 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

I’m amazed so many people don't wish to continue, and see South Africa, etc. I can understand a minority, but nearly a third?! 

Many people that I have talked to had already been to Africa and done of them multiple times or already had a trip scheduled to go to Africa later this year or next year. 

• Like 2

Thanks. I find it interesting so many on a Viking WC have ‘done’ Africa already, but not Europe (or maybe they are happy to ‘do’ Europe again!) I see quite a few posts on the WC forum asking which WC go via Africa and not Europe, as so few do.  

• Like 2

Just now, Goosebear Mum said:

Thanks. I find it interesting so many on a Viking WC have ‘done’ Africa already, but not Europe (or maybe they are happy to ‘do’ Europe again!) I see quite a few posts on the WC forum asking which WC go via Africa and not Europe, as so few do.  

I think for some, it was the strings of multiple sea days that was the deciding factor. Rather than “doing” Africa which is typically a land trip, the World Cruises have become more like a transatlantic repositioning cruise-some interesting ports but further apart. If I remember my count correctly we only have four or five more sea days, but they are more bunched up than on the original itinerary. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobCatter said:

My understanding was that as of Singapore, ~250 people had left. India Overland has ~150 going, plus several other privately organized India tours totally another 60 people or so. We started with 848 world cruisers as we left LA. 

Wow-we had figured not as many would be leaving Neptune as have left us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

I’m amazed so many people don't wish to continue, and see South Africa, etc. I can understand a minority, but nearly a third?! 

Possibly there are incentives to depart early — future cruise vouchers, etc?

Just now, millybess said:

Possibly there are incentives to depart early — future cruise vouchers, etc?

There weren’t on Sky. No reason for Viking to encourage guests to leave.  We didn’t need to discuss any details, but from what I could gather, it appeared that all financial arrangements for those who decided to leave would be handled by the “office after you return home”.  Presumably a prorated return of the monies paid on a voucher, perhaps the WC credits also?🤔 

I know that our friends who left were relatively pleased with the air arrangements and such so Viking appeared to be doing everything they could to make the guests happy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

There weren’t on Sky. No reason for Viking to encourage guests to leave.  We didn’t need to discuss any details, but from what I could gather, it appeared that all financial arrangements for those who decided to leave would be handled by the “office after you return home”.  Presumably a prorated return of the monies paid on a voucher, perhaps the WC credits also?🤔 

I know that our friends who left were relatively pleased with the air arrangements and such so Viking appeared to be doing everything they could to make the guests happy

Right, not very well phrased on my part.  That is what I meant -- a deal not to be passed on, especially if one has been to Africa.  Incentives for a future cruise.  

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, millybess said:

Right, not very well phrased on my part.  That is what I meant -- a deal not to be passed on, especially if one has been to Africa.  Incentives for a future cruise.  

Edited by Islandbc
posted in wrong spot

4 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Just wondering if Viking is planning for any passengers to join the cruise while on this new segment of the world cruise.

From the Sky:  We did embark what I hear to be 30-60 passengers for what was the original Singapore-London segment which was sold on Sky.   (The Sky did not sell out the WC - thus sold segments from LA to Sydney, Sydney to Singapore, and Singapore to London.)  We've heard that some cancelled out due to the itinerary change, while others are on board now.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think for some, it was the strings of multiple sea days that was the deciding factor. Rather than “doing” Africa which is typically a land trip, the World Cruises have become more like a transatlantic repositioning cruise-some interesting ports but further apart. If I remember my count correctly we only have four or five more sea days, but they are more bunched up than on the original itinerary. 

Clay, you are correct.  We are staying on through Cape Town, and Viking was very accommodating in helping us get great business class flights home.  We will stay in Cape Town for five days and get to see as much as we can.  We will only miss the two African ports which remain after Cape Town, and have seen or plan to see nearly all the remaining ports.  I'm surprised that they have included Dakar, as I heard it was removed from some of the other itineraries due to political unrest concerns.  It was the long string of sea days which was not of interest to us.  

23 hours ago, BobCatter said:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that Neptune wasn't fully booked with world cruisers.  Did you also have segments, as the Sky did?  We had sizeable groups disembarking in Sydney, and then new ones embarking in Sydney for the Sydney to Singapore segment.  

Just now, cruising denise said:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that Neptune wasn't fully booked with world cruisers.  Did you also have segments, as the Sky did?  We had sizeable groups disembarking in Sydney, and then new ones embarking in Sydney for the Sydney to Singapore segment.  

We have no segments on the Neptune once boarded in LA. 
There are no segments being sold for the rest of the journey at least according to their website for the Neptune. People have many disembark ports if they chose to not continue the cruise. Some left in Vietnam and Singapore. Other will leave in Sr Lanka and Cochin. 
I have not heard of anyone leaving in Cape Town, but I am sure a few are. 
Many have booked independent travel for India and Africa as Viking is unable to accommodate the number of guest to excursion ratio. 
It may seem we are segmented as we have people coming and going but it is the same people. 

1 hour ago, DJVKN said:

We have no segments on the Neptune once boarded in LA. 
There are no segments being sold for the rest of the journey at least according to their website for the Neptune. People have many disembark ports if they chose to not continue the cruise. Some left in Vietnam and Singapore. Other will leave in Sr Lanka and Cochin. 
I have not heard of anyone leaving in Cape Town, but I am sure a few are. 
Many have booked independent travel for India and Africa as Viking is unable to accommodate the number of guest to excursion ratio. 
It may seem we are segmented as we have people coming and going but it is the same people. 

Thanks for the info, Diana.  They started selling the segments on the Sky maybe in October or so, once it was apparent they could not sell it out as a World Cruise.  

5 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

Thanks for the info, Diana.  They started selling the segments on the Sky maybe in October or so, once it was apparent they could not sell it out as a World Cruise.  

Back in 2019, we sailed on a Viking cruise that was the second segment of a world cruise. This didn’t bother us at all. But apparently the presence of “segmenters” did bother some who were going all the way through. One person even suggested on CC that folks like us might have an “agenda” that would disrupt the rhythm and atmosphere on the ship. Who knew?   😀😀

• Haha 6

Just now, SJD117 said:

Back in 2019, we sailed on a Viking cruise that was the second segment of a world cruise. This didn’t bother us at all. But apparently the presence of “segmenters” did bother some who were going all the way through. One person even suggested on CC that folks like us might have an “agenda” that would disrupt the rhythm and atmosphere on the ship. Who knew?   😀😀

Crazy! I for one hate to see most segmenters leave but there are a couple I’d gladly help pack😳.  I’m sure there are also many on board who wouldn’t mind if I was leaving😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4