LIVE from the Viking Neptune World Cruise includes FTL and LA

BobCatter

Another beautiful sea day. Just got up. Ok, kidding. Been to the gym, had brekkie, lunch, and planning out dinner. Hard work. Spoke with one of the Explorer Desk crew about new excursions booking and was told we would all receive booking info March 1st. Am sure Sky will be a day or two before. #skyisalwaysfirst. 
 Also told several couples leaving in Bali and more in Singapore. Don’t want all the sea days I guess. There’s a lot of them for sure. One stretch of 8 in a row.

On another note, am enjoying all the Cruise Critic folks on board, posters and lurkers alike. Lots of fun.🍸😎🚢

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Another beautiful sea day. Just got up. Ok, kidding. Been to the gym, had brekkie, lunch, and planning out dinner. Hard work. Spoke with one of the Explorer Desk crew about new excursions booking and was told we would all receive booking info March 1st. Am sure Sky will be a day or two before. #skyisalwaysfirst. 
 Also told several couples leaving in Bali and more in Singapore. Don’t want all the sea days I guess. There’s a lot of them for sure. One stretch of 8 in a row.

On another note, am enjoying all the Cruise Critic folks on board, posters and lurkers alike. Lots of fun.🍸😎🚢

I overheard an Explorer Desk’s person inform another guest that we will learn of all the excursions on March 4. #NeptuneGetsEverything

We had a good but as promised terribly hot visit with the dragons.  Some folks who were on the early tours are upset, after their 1.25 hours in the heat, they then had to wait another 30-45 minutes for a tender to get back to the ship.  We walked right on after ours so not sure what the SNAFU was this morning. 

IMG_1923.jpeg

• Like 3

I remember that hot day !   If I ever get back will do the snorkel that folks  enjoyed and they got to see the dragons without the hike in the suffocating heat.  I think we had two people collapse!

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Best to avoid the two mile jungle hike and go directly to the watering hole behind the sell you junk building.  All the lizards hang out around the water hole anyway.

Are you referring to the Komodo Dragons or Lounge Lizards at the watering hole? 😆

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Are you referring to the Komodo Dragons or Lounge Lizards at the watering hole? 😆

I have seen the former an aspire to join the latter at Explorers watering hole.🥃🍸😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It was great finally meeting Lois and Jim Avery.  I’ve followed Jim across multiple blogs and cruises on Cruise Critic.  Jonathan and I joined Jim and Lois along with Diana and Myron for a fun dinner!

Brian

IMG_4921.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Have fun in Bali!  We did and particularly enjoyed the lower than usual traffic due to Sky being there on two holidays.  Guess #NeptuneGetsEverything including traffic 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/23/2024 at 12:34 PM, Jim Avery said:

An off and on rainy day in Cairns.  We didi not do the boat to the barrier reef as we did that last time here.  One time in the stinger suit is enough.  Went to the Aquarium and it was very nice. After went walkabout in the very convenient town center and did some shopping.  Ended at Dundee's Pub/Restaurant.  Excellent food, much supposedly local sourced.  Right on the water a short walk back to the ship.  And the ship is docked right at Hemingway's Brewery..  A real working brewery with attached pub.  Close enough to visit in your Viking robe and slippers......🍺🍺🍺

IMG_6222.jpeg

IMG_6223.jpeg

IMG_6224.jpeg

I know this post is way in the rear view mirror but I just had to chuckle....and think about this:  the Viking Sky actually had the SAME berth as the Neptune!!!!  (I don't do hashtags but you know which one I'm laughing about!).  In seriousness, totally agree that Cairns was a real high point.  And Bali did not disappoint at all - exceeded expectations in every way and I hope that you Neptuners all enjoy just as much.

• Like 2

Came back from dinner out to find a letter regarding yellow fever and malaria. 

Viking gives us less than a day to decide if we want to COMMIT to YF vaccine or malaria prevention at our own cost, but don’t provide the cost. 

We don’t know what excursions are being offered - overnights? Locations? Durations?

and it’s the weekend so no chance to contact a personal physician to ask questions. 

Viking need to work on their communication. This letter could have come out when they announced the itinerary deviation. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Came back from dinner out to find a letter regarding yellow fever and malaria. 

Viking gives us less than a day to decide if we want to COMMIT to YF vaccine or malaria prevention at our own cost, but don’t provide the cost. 

We don’t know what excursions are being offered - overnights? Locations? Durations?

and it’s the weekend so no chance to contact a personal physician to ask questions. 

Viking need to work on their communication. This letter could have come out when they announced the itinerary deviation. 

Wow, that’s quite a dilemma.  On our WC we spent weeks pondering what to do.  We ending up not getting YF but getting malaria.  But I really had to think and research for a couple of weeks.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wavetripper said:

This information just received, being yf and malaria puts everyone in a pickle, we may be forced to bug out early. Need more information. 

Can you post the letter? Thanks.

For anyone considering the Yellow Fever vaccine:

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/africa.html

On Sky, we had a packet of excursions waiting for us when returned tonight after dinner for the African Ports through Capetown.  Nothing after that. Lots of day “safaris” in the $199-$299 range. Several included game preserve drives. Three overland trips priced from $2,499 to $3,599. The most expensive is 5 days,  one flies to J burg for one night, visits Chobe for two nights, then flies to Victoria Falls for an overnight, and then to Capetown. The others two are three days. 

Schedule says excursions will open at noon on the 4th on the app.  Anybody want to take a bet that it crashes? 😂

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks Clay. Folks should also read the FAQs from the document - the decision to vax over age 60, especially if it's the first time, warrants some research. 🍺🥌

Who should not get yellow fever vaccine?

Infants younger than 6 months of age should not get the vaccine. In addition, anyone with a severe allergy to any part of the vaccine, including eggs, chicken proteins, or gelatin should not get the vaccine. Anyone who has had a severe reaction to a previous dose of yellow fever vaccine should not be vaccinated again.

If you have any of the following conditions, your healthcare provider can help you decide whether you can safely receive the vaccine:

• HIV/AIDS or other disease that affects the immune system
  • Weakened immune system as a result of cancer or other medical conditions, transplant, or drug treatment (such as steroids, chemotherapy, or others that affect immune function)
  • Thymus disorder
  • Adults 60 years of age and older
  • Infants 6 – 8 months of age
  • Pregnant women and nursing mothers
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

On Sky, we had a packet of excursions waiting for us when returned tonight after dinner for the African Ports through Capetown.  Nothing after that. Lots of day “safaris” in the $199-$299 range. Several included game preserve drives. Three overland trips priced from $2,499 to $3,599. The most expensive is 5 days,  one flies to J burg for one night, visits Chobe for two nights, then flies to Victoria Falls for an overnight, and then to Capetown. The others two are three days. 

Schedule says excursions will open at noon on the 4th on the app.  Anybody want to take a bet that it crashes? 😂

Any idea if booking if booking is going to be in cabin category priority, or is it just going to be a free for all scrum?

6 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Thanks Clay. Folks should also read the FAQs from the document - the decision to vax over age 60, especially if it's the first time, warrants some research. 🍺🥌

Who should not get yellow fever vaccine?

Infants younger than 6 months of age should not get the vaccine. In addition, anyone with a severe allergy to any part of the vaccine, including eggs, chicken proteins, or gelatin should not get the vaccine. Anyone who has had a severe reaction to a previous dose of yellow fever vaccine should not be vaccinated again.

If you have any of the following conditions, your healthcare provider can help you decide whether you can safely receive the vaccine:

• HIV/AIDS or other disease that affects the immune system
  • Weakened immune system as a result of cancer or other medical conditions, transplant, or drug treatment (such as steroids, chemotherapy, or others that affect immune function)
  • Thymus disorder
  • Adults 60 years of age and older
  • Infants 6 – 8 months of age
  • Pregnant women and nursing mothers

Rob - another point I can add is that YF was originally a 10-yr vaccine, so we had it repeated every decade. They now say it is good for life. However, I have never received a definitive answer to whether all my previous YF jabs are now good for life.

I received my last one at 55 yrs and since I am now in the 60+ group, and as it is a live vaccine, I will not be getting another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1