LIVE from the Viking Neptune World Cruise includes FTL and LA

BobCatter

If this helps, our last WC circumnavigated South America including over a week up the Amazon. being 60* we did not get either treatment.  More recently, last August, an overland 15 day trip to inland parts of Africa, again no yf or malaria treatments.  So far so good.  Are we just lucky? Sort of like saying we drove cross country and didn't get a flat tire...

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

If this helps, our last WC circumnavigated South America including over a week up the Amazon. being 60* we did not get either treatment.  More recently, last August, an overland 15 day trip to inland parts of Africa, again no yf or malaria treatments.  So far so good.  Are we just lucky? Sort of like saying we drove cross country and didn't get a flat tire...

I'm glad you've been so fortunate. My point wasn't whether or not we should get the prophalaxis, but why can't VIking get their sh!t together when it comes to communication? Health care decisions shouldn't be made on the fly. 

No information as to whether or not overland/overnight excursions will be offered.
No time to contact a doctor.
It will be at our expense, but no cost (not even an estimate) is given.

We all know that this itinerary was months in the planning. Why do we get less than a day to review this?

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Health care decisions shouldn't be made on the fly. 

No information as to whether or not overland/overnight excursions will be offered.
No time to contact a doctor.
It will be at our expense, but no cost (not even an estimate) is given.

For what it's worth:   For our recent trip to Brazil (up the Amazon), I took the YF vaccine at age 64, after conferring with my doctor.   DW chose not.  We both survived (who had the better odds? I'm not sure, except that although we were deep into the yellow part of the CDC's map of South America, we only saw one mosquito in all of Brazil).  I had some soreness and bruising at the injection site.

We both took the malaria pills. ( DW quit early).   None of this cost anything significant because insurance covered almost all of it.  

Of course, your experience may vary.

7 minutes ago, Messybill said:

For what it's worth:   For our recent trip to Brazil (up the Amazon), I took the YF vaccine at age 64, after conferring with my doctor.   DW chose not.  We both survived (who had the better odds? I'm not sure, except that although we were deep into the yellow part of the CDC's map of South America, we only saw one mosquito in all of Brazil).  I had some soreness and bruising at the injection site.

We both took the malaria pills. ( DW quit early).   None of this cost anything significant because insurance covered almost all of it.  

Of course, your experience may vary.

We had yf vaccine in the past and taken malarial drugs in the past. Everyone needs to make their own decision (obviously) but as I said, I believe Viking's communication at the best of times is still crap. I love the ship, love traveling, but Viking tend to be less than forthcoming on matters that deserve more answers.  

• Like 2

I agree with your assessment of Viking comms.  Shoreside.  Onboard we have always had straight answers as much as they are told.  We are awaiting the total amount of possible credits to leave in Singapore and they are offering very generous travel home arrangements.  Pick our flights, build in stopovers, still in biz.  Not saying we are leaving,. just exploring available options.

On a better note, Bali has been, as usual, hot and sweaty during the day.  We had an evening tour first day involving a bus to the Hyatt Regency Resort and traditional dance show.  Nice venue, average food and show.  Next day was to a couple of unpronounceable temples where at one we witnessed monkeys jumping on people stealing glasses, hats, and at least one cell phone.  The temple guides managed to get most back for the owners by bargaining with the monkeys with food.  Seems a great way to train monkeys to steal stuff.  We managed to hold on to our glasses, hats, and cell phones so a good day.  

IMG_6269.jpeg

IMG_6263.jpeg

IMG_6261.jpeg

IMG_6257.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth, I scanned the excursion descriptions for the revised ports for the Viking Sky WC (Port Louis, Mauritius to Cape Town, South Africa) and included the summaries in a Word file.

Here is a link to my entry on the Viking Sky WC forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2979887-live-from-the-viking-sky-ft-lauderdale-to-london-december-20-2023-may-6-2024/?do=findComment&comment=67025407

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

The temple guides managed to get most back for the owners by bargaining with the monkeys with food.  Seems a great way to train monkeys to steal stuff.  We managed to hold on to our glasses, hats, and cell phones so a good day.  

IMG_6257.jpeg

HEY! A monkey has to do, what a monkey has to do to feed the family. 😂

Edited by Liz Masterson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

HEY! A monkey has to do, what a monkey has to do to feed the family. 😂

I hear they are allowed to steal up to 900 pair a day before they get caged.,,...(rim shot emoji??)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Letter today in Sky that Viking will now provide malaria and yellow fever gratis to any who want it. 

That's a pretty nice deal for passengers.  We did an Africa trip a couple of years ago and I ended up paying my doctor's office around $400 for the vaccinations and malaria meds we needed for that trip (Hep A booster, Yellow Fever and Tetanus booster)

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Letter today in Sky that Viking will now provide malaria and yellow fever gratis to any who want it. 

Our letter said "at our expense" ?

5 hours ago, BobCatter said:

Where do we dock in Singapore? There seems to be two cruise ports. Is one just ferrys?

Best option is to Google both of the Singapore pax terminals to determine which one the ship is assigned. If not listed at either terminal, the ship may be assigned to a commercial container berth, which we were assigned on one trip to Singapore.

• Thanks 2

Make your reservations now for the new Philippine Chefs Table menu. It is delicious. Details over on the Chefs Table Menu Thread shortly.

I understand Chef Jeffry is getting on board Neptune to introduce it when he leaves us-maybe when you get to HCMC?

Anyway, happy to post #SkyGotItFirst😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, millybess said:

👍

I'll be interested to see the menu for that!

Me too. I wonder if it includes pancit guisado and halo-halo*?

*(A kitchen-sink drink made of crushed ice, sweetened condensed milk, corn, black beans, cubed gelatin, jackfruit, and heaven knows what else. Weirdly addictive in 114-degree heat once one gets over the ick factor.)

• Haha 1

Where is everyone??  Ok, I have to report that Lois and I are departing Neptune in Singapore.  All things considered it works best for us.  Viking has been very generous with forward cruise credits and with rearranging air.  If we hadn't just had a fabulous land tour in Africa last summer we would be going for the ones Viking worked out.  Anyway, loved meeting so many of my Cruise Critic pals and now it is up to BobCatter, Wavetripper and everyone else who has participated in this WC thread.  I look forward to keeping up with the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Where is everyone??  Ok, I have to report that Lois and I are departing Neptune in Singapore.  All things considered it works best for us.  Viking has been very generous with forward cruise credits and with rearranging air.  If we hadn't just had a fabulous land tour in Africa last summer we would be going for the ones Viking worked out.  Anyway, loved meeting so many of my Cruise Critic pals and now it is up to BobCatter, Wavetripper and everyone else who has participated in this WC thread.  I look forward to keeping up with the rest of the cruise. 

I have yet to meet you on the ship. I think you were on our Caribbean trip at Christmas last year, and now this trip. I've enjoyed our 'banter' on several threads. Happy and Safe travels as you leave the Neptune.

Edited by BobCatter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Jim and Lois, we have so enjoyed getting to know you, especially through the CC years and now in person. We wish you both a safe journey home. May our travel plans cross again soon.

Hey, if you are gone who is going to keep Clay in check.😃

Cheers and Safe Journey 🍻🥂

Rob and Karen 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/6/2024 at 1:38 PM, Twitchly said:

Me too. I wonder if it includes pancit guisado and halo-halo*?

*(A kitchen-sink drink made of crushed ice, sweetened condensed milk, corn, black beans, cubed gelatin, jackfruit, and heaven knows what else. Weirdly addictive in 114-degree heat once one gets over the ick factor.)

No and no.  It’s fusion-nothing traditional.  You can see the menu and photos over on the menu thread.

But I did get a promise that he would try to have halo halo served onboard sometime. 🤞

• Like 1

Excursion tickets showed up tonight in the stateroom for the segment Cochin to Cape Town. No surprises in excursion selection choices. First choice given for all ports at this point. 

• Like 3