Encore headed back early but…

mitsugirly

We are on the encore and we’re told about 5pm today that we were headed back to Miami early tonight with arrival at 7:30pm due to weather and high winds and would spend the night in port. 

7:30 came and went and we turned around. Announcements came later that they closed the port of Miami and we would just be hanging out off shore. They will let us know more tomorrow morning when we can dock. 

is the weather bad in Miami? The ship really isn’t rocking imo. 

just thought anyone getting on tomorrow “might” experience a delay. 

• Like 2

Very very horrible weather:

Gale Warning Until Sun 7 pm EST

Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Miami - FL, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Biscayne Bay, Coastal waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL out 20 NM, Coastal waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL out 20 NM, Waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL from 20 to 60 NM and Waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL from 20 to 60 NM excluding the territorial waters of Bahamas
Description
...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST SUNDAY...

WHAT...Southeast to southerly winds 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 45 kt and seas 9 to 14 ft.

WHERE...Biscayne Bay, Coastal waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL out 20 NM, Coastal waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL out 20 NM, Waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL from 20 to 60 NM and Waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL from 20 to 60 NM excluding the territorial waters of Bahamas.

WHEN...Until 7 PM EST Sunday.

IMPACTS...Strong winds will cause hazardous seas which could capsize or damage vessels and reduce visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Mariners should alter plans to avoid these hazardous conditions. Remain in port, seek safe harbor, alter course, and/or secure the vessel for severe conditions.

A sudden onset of rough seas may cause hazardous conditions, which may occur suddenly at jetties and inlets. These conditions could catch boaters by surprise. Boaters should remain in port.

------------------------------------------
Wind Advisory Until Sun 7 am EST
Action Recommended
Execute a pre-planned activity identified in the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Metro Palm Beach County, Metro Broward County, Metropolitan Miami Dade, Coastal Palm Beach County, Coastal Broward County and Coastal Miami Dade County
Description
...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

WHAT...Southeast to southerly winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

WHERE...Metro Palm Beach County, Metro Broward County, Metropolitan Miami Dade, Coastal Palm Beach County, Coastal Broward County and Coastal Miami Dade County.

WHEN...Until 7 AM EST Sunday.

IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result.

Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

We are on the encore and we’re told about 5pm today that we were headed back to Miami early tonight with arrival at 7:30pm due to weather and high winds and would spend the night in port. 

7:30 came and went and we turned around. Announcements came later that they closed the port of Miami and we would just be hanging out off shore. They will let us know more tomorrow morning when we can dock. 

just thought anyone getting on tomorrow “might” experience a delay. 

Sorry to hear about the delay.  

As a long time fan, looking forward to reading about your cruise.  Safe travels home today.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

It is nothing personal to you directly but when will the people learn that it is completely irrelevant what your eyes currently see. 😉

It is only important which weather reports and weather forecasts regarding wind, waves and approx. 5000 other data the captain has available on the bridge.

that is what they base their decisions on.

Announcements this morning stated we would be taking on the pilot around 8am and heading into port. They said we would start getting off the ship around noon.

Fast forward to now…winds and waves too high and they will let us know any updates. There’s currently 5 of us ships (that I can see) out here riding it out.

i just thought I would update anyone who might be getting on later. It might be a long day of playing the waiting game. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shof515 said:

Very very horrible weather:

Gale Warning Until Sun 7 pm EST

Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Biscayne Bay, Coastal waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL out 20 NM, Coastal waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL out 20 NM, Waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL from 20 to 60 NM and Waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL from 20 to 60 NM excluding the territorial waters of Bahamas
Description
...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST SUNDAY...

WHAT...Southeast to southerly winds 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 45 kt and seas 9 to 14 ft.

WHERE...Biscayne Bay, Coastal waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL out 20 NM, Coastal waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL out 20 NM, Waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL from 20 to 60 NM and Waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL from 20 to 60 NM excluding the territorial waters of Bahamas.

WHEN...Until 7 PM EST Sunday.

IMPACTS...Strong winds will cause hazardous seas which could capsize or damage vessels and reduce visibility.

Mariners should alter plans to avoid these hazardous conditions. Remain in port, seek safe harbor, alter course, and/or secure the vessel for severe conditions.

A sudden onset of rough seas may cause hazardous conditions, which may occur suddenly at jetties and inlets. These conditions could catch boaters by surprise. Boaters should remain in port.

------------------------------------------
Wind Advisory Until Sun 7 am EST
Action Recommended
Execute a pre-planned activity identified in the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Metro Palm Beach County, Metro Broward County, Metropolitan Miami Dade, Coastal Palm Beach County, Coastal Broward County and Coastal Miami Dade County
Description
...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

WHAT...Southeast to southerly winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

WHERE...Metro Palm Beach County, Metro Broward County, Metropolitan Miami Dade, Coastal Palm Beach County, Coastal Broward County and Coastal Miami Dade County.

WHEN...Until 7 AM EST Sunday.

IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result.

Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.

thanks for the detailed information. 

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Sorry to hear about the delay.  

As a long time fan, looking forward to reading about your cruise.  Safe travels home today.

I just feel bad for those with early flights or those boarding. I’m glad we have a later flight. 

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Weather was horrible in Miami yesterday and especially last night.  The wind and rain was almost like a hurricane.  Its still gusty today and raining some but its going to clear up completely for those sailing out of Miami later today.

Oh wow. I figured it was pretty bad. 

23 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

It is nothing personal to you directly but when will the people learn that it is completely irrelevant what your eyes currently see. 😉

It is only important which weather reports and weather forecasts regarding wind, waves and approx. 5000 other data the captain has available on the bridge.

that is what they base their decisions on.

I know that as far as our ship goes but wanted to let others know in case they were boarding today what they might expect as far as delays. I just wondered personally about the weather in Miami for my own knowledge. Nothing wrong with that. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

Thank you for posting this update. We appreciate knowing this as we are on the Pearl and should be in Miami early tomorrow.  We know the delays today could impact our arrival tomorrow and we do have early flights. 

For us, we had a really calm night but we are now sailing into the pouring rain with poor visibility. I hope you all can enjoy the extended time on the ship without too much stress of missing a flight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

There’s currently 5 of us ships (that I can see) out here riding it out.

There are 8 ships scheduled in today.  There were 9 but Royal's Vision of the Seas I guess was just a port call and diverted to Nassau.

Apparently all ships have requested tug assistance.  Oasis of the Seas is tying up now, she did NOT turn in the basin to face out of port.  The two tugs are headed back out for the next ship, which might be the Encore...

49 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Thank you for posting this update. We appreciate knowing this as we are on the Pearl and should be in Miami early tomorrow.  We know the delays today could impact our arrival tomorrow and we do have early flights. 

For us, we had a really calm night but we are now sailing into the pouring rain with poor visibility. I hope you all can enjoy the extended time on the ship without too much stress of missing a flight. 

No problem. I hope things go smoothly for you tomorrow. 

I thought the seas were pretty calm last night. The ship wasn’t rocking or anything. It was really rocking one night after our stop in DR. 

it’s very foggy out right now with some sprinkles. I can only see one other shop next to us now. The others have vanished into the clouds/fog. 

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

There are 8 ships scheduled in today.  There were 9 but Royal's Vision of the Seas I guess was just a port call and diverted to Nassau.

Apparently all ships have requested tug assistance.  Oasis of the Seas is tying up now, she did NOT turn in the basin to face out of port.  The two tugs are headed back out for the next ship, which might be the Encore...

oh wow thanks for this information. We have only been able to see 4 other ships plus ours, but then again we are hanging out on the balcony in our room so they might be on the other side.

good to know about the tugs. I’m sure we will not be in next. Some of the other ships are a little closer. We are currently 7 miles away so getting there 

• Like 1

Just now, hallux said:

From what I'm seeing on the webcams you most certainly ARE next.  You're steaming to the channel at a good clip with no other ships in the way...

Thanks! We just seen the water turn lighter blue and going past the buoys and can see Miami in the distance. We have another ship coming in right behind us. Maybe royal?

• Like 1

well, so much for THAT... on the live port cams someone said all the ships had requested tugs standing by.  Encore is in the channel and the tugs are nowhere near her.  I guess your Captain pulled a "hold my beer and watch this" and is going it alone...

nvm - the tugs just pulled along side...

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, hallux said:

Oceania Insignia.

They went on the other side in the channel. I wondered who that was.

24 minutes ago, hallux said:

well, so much for THAT... on the live port cams someone said all the ships had requested tugs standing by.  Encore is in the channel and the tugs are nowhere near her.  I guess your Captain pulled a "hold my beer and watch this" and is going it alone...

nvm - the tugs just pulled along side...

Lmao! It was calm and sunny once we got in the channel. I like the hold my beer scenario better myself. 

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

3rd ship to dock today, first to do so without tug assist.  Either the weather has calmed or the ship just handled it that well...

it definitely calmed down. You wouldn’t even know there’s a storm 9 miles out now. 

• Like 2