NZ Visa application troubles

I'm trying to apply for a tourist visa for our March 2024 cruise. It has been a total PIA!  In fact, so difficult that I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've spent at least 3 hours on this so far and that's just for me -- haven't gotten to my husband yet.

For example, It wants to know if I'm working. When I enter that I'm retired, it still wants my dates of employment, profession, employer address, phone number, and email, etc etc. Wants to know where I worked: when I enter Texas, I get an error message because I didn't select "Tex as" from the drop down menu. When I tried to submit my photo, it said I have two heads. I mean it's just ridiculous. Wants to know my financial situation. And on and on. I still have not been able to successfully complete the application. 

Is this typical? I feel like I'm applying to get something much more complicated than a typical tourist visa, like I'm wanting to move and work there or something. Am I doing this right?

And I still have to do Australia  😬

Oh, and the application also wants to know if I have $1000NZ. 

We usually spend very little cash when cruising. We don't shop much -- at all -- and rarely eat at restaurants. We just eat on the ship. Excursions are usually prepaid. Whatever we do spend is almost always on our credit card. So we carry only a little petty cash for small items. Do I literally have to carry $1000 NZ?

Hi, this query has come up before. I scrolled back to Page 4 on my cellphone screen and found this very helpful post from @possum52 under the thread heading Australian and New Zealand ETA -

Just note that the Australian ETA can only be done on the government official app and the NZeTA can be done either online here or on the NZ government official app.

I've never needed these visas but hope this is helpful and solves your hassles 🙂

PS  I recall a few people had difficulty with the app not working for them, but they successfully applied on line, paying the marginally higher fee 💰 

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 1

On the site you indicate your using, look for "Visa waiver countries and territories"

It was a bit of a fiddle, to get to it, it lists the following as 

List of visa waiver countries and territories
The following are visa waiver countries and territories 
United States of America (USA) (including USA nationals)

It would seem as your from the USA, you don't require a visa for NZ, just a NZeTA 

Why not give your local NZ Embassy a call and check it out.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

Oh, and the application also wants to know if I have $1000NZ. 

We usually spend very little cash when cruising. We don't shop much -- at all -- and rarely eat at restaurants. We just eat on the ship. Excursions are usually prepaid. Whatever we do spend is almost always on our credit card. So we carry only a little petty cash for small items. Do I literally have to carry $1000 NZ?

If you are carrying more than $10,000 in cash, you will need to explain why. This os a very normal question on visa or customs entry for any country I can think of, including if I wanted to travel to the US.

The answer, assuming you have less than that amount, is NO. That will give them confidence that you are not laundering currency across their border.

PS - if the amount is $1000, they also want to know that you can pay your way home.

Edited by arxcards
PS

40 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

This is the website I found for a visitor visa

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/visas/visa/visitor-visa

Hi Becky

I think you are applying for the wrong visa.

Please refer to this link https://www.newzealand.com/int/visas-and-immigration/

In particular, the following passage

If you plan to visit New Zealand for a short period, you need to request a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority(opens in new window) (NZeTA) before you travel if you are:

If you don’t meet the above, then you’ll need a visitor visa. The fastest and easiest way to apply for a visitor visa(opens in new window) is online.

As you are from the USA, and this is included in the list of visa waiver countries, and you are planning to stay for less than three months, you should apply for the ETA.

The visitor visa application that you are working through is for those planning to stay for more than three months, or those from countries not approved for a visa waiver.

I hasten to add, that I am not an expert in these matters, and you should read through the information in the link yourself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, luckybecky said:

I'm trying to apply for a tourist visa for our March 2024 cruise. It has been a total PIA!  In fact, so difficult that I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've spent at least 3 hours on this so far and that's just for me -- haven't gotten to my husband yet.

For example, It wants to know if I'm working. When I enter that I'm retired, it still wants my dates of employment, profession, employer address, phone number, and email, etc etc. Wants to know where I worked: when I enter Texas, I get an error message because I didn't select "Tex as" from the drop down menu. When I tried to submit my photo, it said I have two heads. I mean it's just ridiculous. Wants to know my financial situation. And on and on. I still have not been able to successfully complete the application. 

Is this typical? I feel like I'm applying to get something much more complicated than a typical tourist visa, like I'm wanting to move and work there or something. Am I doing this right?

And I still have to do Australia  😬

As you are only in NZ for a short time and I assume arriving by cruise ship, you just need to apply for the NZeTA either on the government app or online at this link (that Sinbad the Porter provided in his comment above) - NZeTA

For the Australian ETA, it has to be applied for on the official government app which is available at your mobile phone/cell store. Australian ETA

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I was able to successfully complete the application with the app. It had a hard time scanning our passports but we got through it. BTW, the original site I went to was what came up when I googled visitor visa for NZ, and it  did appear to be a govt.nz website. But whatever I was applying for looked way too complicated so I'm glad you all were able to put me it the right direction.

Thanks again!

Edited by luckybecky
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I was able to successfully complete the application with the app. It had a hard time scanning our passports but we got through it. BTW, the original site I went to was what came up when I googled visitor visa for NZ, and it  did appear to be a govt.nz website. But whatever I was applying for looked way too complicated so I'm glad you all were able to put me it the right direction.

Thanks again!

When I come across a problem using an app  I find it easier to use a computer but that is probably because I am not mobile phone savvy

4 hours ago, windsor26 said:

When I come across a problem using an app  I find it easier to use a computer but that is probably because I am not mobile phone savvy

Haha, I'm the same way! Much more comfortable with my laptop vs. trying to do things on my phone. But this time, that's where I went wrong. i tried googling the website and ended up in the wrong place, apparently. The app was much easier.

• Like 3