Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

9 hours ago, cruising denise said:

And indeed, why were they able to refund (as refundable) the portion of the Luxor tour that they "shuffled" to nonrefundable in December, two+ months after we applied all our nonrefundable credits?  It is really inexplicable.

Once you realise the L/A Management clowns speak with forked tongue, all their actions are easy to understand. Hence the reason, I am done with them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

so sorry this has completely spoiled your World Cruise.  Life certainly takes different turns.  Here is hoping that after you get back, you find a cruise line that fits your needs and treats you well.  Let us know.

I apologize for the very negative tone of my recent posts.  Everything I have said here is true.  We will wait and see how this ultimately all plays out before final decisions about sailing again with Viking, though it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth that we have to fight for things that should obviously be right.  However I really apologize for giving the impression that it has completely spoiled our World Cruise.  Despite all the twists and turns it has been the trip of a lifetime and we are so glad we decided to do it.  We have been places, seen things and met people we never otherwise would have a chance to do.  It really has been a wonderful, lifechanging experience and people who are considering next year's should not turn away solely based on these bad experiences.  I also stand by my statement that the ships are lovely and the crews are great.  But they should take very careful note of what some of us are going through from a business practices standpoint.  Be aware and protect themselves as much as possible.  Keep printouts of everything especially as you go signing up for shore excursions, using credits / cash / cc. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cruising denise said:

I apologize for the very negative tone of my recent posts.  Everything I have said here is true.  We will wait and see how this ultimately all plays out before final decisions about sailing again with Viking, though it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth that we have to fight for things that should obviously be right.  However I really apologize for giving the impression that it has completely spoiled our World Cruise.  Despite all the twists and turns it has been the trip of a lifetime and we are so glad we decided to do it.  We have been places, seen things and met people we never otherwise would have a chance to do.  It really has been a wonderful, lifechanging experience and people who are considering next year's should not turn away solely based on these bad experiences.  I also stand by my statement that the ships are lovely and the crews are great.  But they should take very careful note of what some of us are going through from a business practices standpoint.  Be aware and protect themselves as much as possible.  Keep printouts of everything especially as you go signing up for shore excursions, using credits / cash / cc. 

Absolutely no need to apologize, I feel the exact same way.  Love the crew, the WC, and everything we’ve experienced.  I will not let the LA folks ruin that, but it will ruin us for future travel.  We booked 3 additional cruises on board earlier this trip (had one already booked prior) for a total of 4 at $150,000.  We canceled 1 already and will probably keep canceling one at a time the longer this remains unresolved.  Seems like a bad business practice for Viking corporate.  DW was so frustrated one night while I was venting here, she wrote an email to Torstien’s office and cc’ed Stephanie Maldonado, head of Vikings Financial or Hotel ops (can’t remember).  We just received and email from a customer service rep who said he is responding to the email (handed down from Mr. Hagen’s office).  We’ll see where it goes from here.  When we respond to his email, We will mention this thread to him (give him a link) so he can see the frustration and discontent they are fostering.  

Edited by Pappri

BTW - we decided in Cochin that we needed a break to clear our heads. So while the boat travels to Mauritius, we decided to fly to Mauritius and stay at the Shang ri La resort for 6 days, and pick you guys back up when you get to Port Louis on the 30th.  See you then!

IMG_8255.thumb.jpeg.dea261b231a7132cabc5e28d9b51472a.jpeg

got the whole beach to myself…

• Like 7

Just now, Pappri said:

Absolutely no need to apologize, I feel the exact same way.  Love the crew, the WC, and everything we’ve experienced.  I will not let the LA folks ruin that, but it will ruin us for future travel.  We booked 3 additional cruises on board earlier this trip (had one already booked prior) for a total of 4 at $150,000.  We canceled 1 already and will probably keep canceling one at a time the longer this remains unresolved.  Seems like a bad business practice for Viking corporate.  DW was so frustrated one night while I was venting here, she wrote an email to Torstien’s office and cc’ed Stephanie Maldonado, head of Vikings Financial or Hotel ops (can’t remember).  We just received and email from a customer service rep who said he is responding to the email (handed down from Mr. Hagen’s office).  We’ll see where it goes from here.  When we respond to his email, We will mention this thread to him (give him a link) so he can see the frustration and discontent they are fostering.  

I would love to know how to contact Torstein's office.  If you can share any info with me offline at:

denisedld@att.net

I would really appreciate it.  

It is sad that this company, to whom I was prepared to be loyal for the rest of my cruising life, has been raising these doubts about how well we will be treated from a business perspective, and whether or not I should remain a loyal customer.

But glad you two are enjoying your time in Mauritius!  Looks lovely!  See you soon!

10 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

I would love to know how to contact Torstein's office.  If you can share any info with me offline at:

denisedld@att.net

I would really appreciate it.  

It is sad that this company, to whom I was prepared to be loyal for the rest of my cruising life, has been raising these doubts about how well we will be treated from a business perspective, and whether or not I should remain a loyal customer.

But glad you two are enjoying your time in Mauritius!  Looks lovely!  See you soon!

Sure thing

Delicious Indian breakfast this morning-understand some of the culinary geniuses bought authentic Indian ingredients while we were in Cochin-Kochi. Then it was laundry time followed by our third crossing of the equator-one to go!

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_8366.jpeg

IMG_4345.jpeg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Penspack said:

It is rare that I created a spreadsheet that anyone cares about😄

Penspack, your spreadsheet of excursions will long live on and be held in gratitude by many of us. Having spent my entire career using Excel extensively, I for one am amazed and grateful for this document. My own feeble attempts were quickly set aside to use yours as a base for our 2025 WC. The time and effort saved thanks to you were better spent going to lunch with neighbors and walking the dog instead of wondering which of many ways to organize things. Viking should pay you a stipend and post them for long journeys. Of course the more you investigate the various excursions, the better the intel, so maybe there's an even better opportunity.

Cheers

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cruising denise said:

So not true, Steve!!!!  I will always remember you and your spreadsheets fondly!  You saved us many hours of work!

3 hours ago, Pappri said:

Amen!!

59 minutes ago, DogSaysStayHome said:

Penspack, your spreadsheet of excursions will long live on and be held in gratitude by many of us. Having spent my entire career using Excel extensively, I for one am amazed and grateful for this document. My own feeble attempts were quickly set aside to use yours as a base for our 2025 WC. The time and effort saved thanks to you were better spent going to lunch with neighbors and walking the dog instead of wondering which of many ways to organize things. Viking should pay you a stipend and post them for long journeys. Of course the more you investigate the various excursions, the better the intel, so maybe there's an even better opportunity.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words. But you do realize that was 1 spreadsheet out of the thousands I have created…😃 It was one of the rare ones….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Penspack said:

Thanks for the kind words. But you do realize that was 1 spreadsheet out of the thousands I have created…😃 It was one of the rare ones….

It only takes one incident to make someone a hero!

• Like 3

I’ve just been told by someone who shall go unnamed but is in the know and whose first initial is “O” that there is going to be a special fancy dinner in the Restaurant tomorrow. Just checked the app and it doesn’t show a menu but says “Naming Ceremony”. I was told Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table will be closed so that they have enough staff.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’ve just been told by someone who shall go unnamed but is in the know and whose first initial is “O” that there is going to be a special fancy dinner in the Restaurant tomorrow. Just checked the app and it doesn’t show a menu but says “Naming Ceremony”. I was told Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table will be closed so that they have enough staff.  

We have also found out a special fancy dinner will be on the Neptune on the 30th. Interesting. 

#Skygetseverythingfirst 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

FYI, Cyclone Gamane is in Madagascar and headed for Mauritius.  It’s minimal, 40mph winds, mostly a rain event.  Looks like it should be far enough away for the Sky to dock on the 30th and make Reunion on the 31st. *knocking wood table and head*. Heads up Neptune.

i did take this night pic of the near full moon over our room in Mauritius.  First time I’ve gotten a night pic to come out true to the eye.

image.thumb.jpeg.8f12094c9af8c0e04f8396ff48feb138.jpeg

here’s the Cyclone’s projected path:

image.thumb.jpeg.104d86cafb456139c46a6d2f3c913794.jpeg

the locals aren’t worried about it in least.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend the “Scenic South Tour”, and it looks like it’s not sold out.  We visited those places listed in the excursion with a guide yesterday (and a few more places with included lunch) and it was awesome.  8 hours tour around.  Especially the Seven colored earths park was outstanding.

Just now, Pappri said:

FYI, Cyclone Gamane is in Madagascar and headed for Mauritius.  It’s minimal, 40mph winds, mostly a rain event.  Looks like it should be far enough away for the Sky to dock on the 30th and make Reunion on the 31st. *knocking wood table and head*. Heads up Neptune.

i did take this night pic of the near full moon over our room in Mauritius.  First time I’ve gotten a night pic to come out true to the eye.

image.thumb.jpeg.8f12094c9af8c0e04f8396ff48feb138.jpeg

here’s the Cyclone’s projected path:

image.thumb.jpeg.104d86cafb456139c46a6d2f3c913794.jpeg

the locals aren’t worried about it in least.

Beautiful picture! 

You beat me to it, we had been worried about the Cyclone based on earlier forecasts but just found the one below and looks like we will be well away before it gets there…hopefully it will be gone before Neptune gets there. 

As long as it stays a tropical storm/depression I can understand the locals not being worried, but I suspect the 11 dead folks in Madagascar weren't worried either…rain and flooding can be an awful thing. 

Enjoying a beautiful penultimate Sea Day aboard our 447 passenger private yacht! 

IMG_4399.png

IMG_4397.jpeg

• Like 5