Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

Posted (edited)

Just had the new Manfredi’s menu. The Osso Bucco is a permanent item and I had it and tasty as always, but the portion is a little smaller which wasn’t a problem as I always have felt the portion was too large. Mike had the Viking Bistecca and it was thicker than the one I had earlier in the cruise. (It is not as thick or as large as in the before times). Mike ordered it medium rare and one side was that way but the other was closer to medium. (Note to self: order rare). 

The new (to us) asparagus, poached egg, and risotto appetizer was delicious!  The asparagus was perfectly cooked and we hope that they can obtain fresh asparagus for the duration🤞

IMG_7961.jpeg

IMG_7959.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

Looks fantastic, Clay!  Can you take a picture of the "new" menu?  Wonder which one(s) of the many trial Manfredi's menu will wind up being the standard?  Or perhaps there will be several used at all times.

7 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Looks fantastic, Clay!  Can you take a picture of the "new" menu?  Wonder which one(s) of the many trial Manfredi's menu will wind up being the standard?  Or perhaps there will be several used at all times.

Started a new thread here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2997667-manfredi’s-5/

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

The new (to us) asparagus, poached egg, and risotto appetizer was delicious!  The asparagus was perfectly cooked and we hope that they can obtain fresh asparagus for the duration🤞

IMG_7959.jpeg

Is that really risotto? It looks like polenta to me. I think either would be delicious… of course pictures sometimes make dishes look different than they are. Is that pesto on top of the egg?

6 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Is that really risotto? It looks like polenta to me. I think either would be delicious… of course pictures sometimes make dishes look different than they are. Is that pesto on top of the egg?

Yes, according to menu he posted, it says polenta & truffle (not pesto).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

Oh wow! Even better! I think I have a jar of truffle I’ve yet to dive into! This could be the occasion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Love risotto.  Don’t like polenta much.  But still a much better menu.  And my husband and I usually split an Osso bucco.  I don’t really eat meat.  But the old Osso bucco, I always wanted a few bite of.  And I used to order a side of asparagus, and the. Risotto, and cut the asparagus, and mix it into the risotto, with a couple of tablespoons of white wine.  But as I have said before, I am a risotto lover.  . 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

It is polenta as the menu says-my bad, Inwas thinking about the delicious risotto I had with the osso bucco. That is shaved truffle on top of the egg. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

Thank you to all of the posters who have allowed us to sail vicariously with you on this ever changing World Cruise.  Because of Clay Clayton's posts before he signed on for the cruise, we were very close to booking the sailing.  Unfortunately, we couldn't get everything in order in time to be on the sailing, but those of you who are there have done an excellent job making us aware of how flexible we will need to be as we plan for possible future World Cruises. 

For those passengers who are choosing to go home soon, safe travels. 

For those passengers who will continue with the journey, please keep on posting. 

The photos and videos are great!  The information that you are providing is priceless!

• Like 13

Just now, Pappri said:

Looks like we’re delayed an hour getting in, so the captain decided to take a spin around the island

CruiseMapper shows us as currently going 21.6 mph/18.6 kph 

Just back from the included tour-I enjoyed it as it gave me an overview of rice growing. And since there was a breeze, it didn’t seem quite as hot…and the bus had fans in addition to AC😀. The stop at the big ol Eagle was fine but sorta shows there isn’t a lot here to see but it apparently a big beach resort town.  Both Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton have properties-$400 or so a night-pretty cheap for them, the resort that you walk around to get from the ship to the pier has king seaview rooms starting at $50/night.  

While the heat wasn’t as awful as yesterday it did make me sad when I saw this picture from Venus doing In Search of that our friends are on right now-sure wouldn’t mind being cold for just a bit. 

IMG_3695.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Pappri said:

Anyone know why we’re not stopping at the Langkawi port?  We blew past it an hour ago and the Captain hasn’t made any announcement.

Rosanna did make an announcement

Enjoyed the included tour in George Town this morning. For those on Neptune, go as early as possible-it’s again crazy hot.  The excursion included a walk through the colorful and artsy old section of town and then photo stops at the bridge to the mainland (we didn’t get off), the Kek Loc Si Temple, and the Botanical Gardens. The temple is pretty amazing looking and would be great to visit except for those 1200 steps!    The stop at the gardens is at the parking lot and you can only see the lily pads out front. We again didn’t get off since we could see these were nothing special compared to the Lotus pond we saw in Vietnam #jaded

Made an impulse purchase of a caftan in the terminal - first time something fit! I can now attend one of those Mrs. Roper bar crawls and be comfortable in the summer time at home. I won’t be joining the many ladies who wear them around the ship.  

Happy St. Patrick’s Day-for some reason we are having a BBQ tonight 🤔 but at least they have some Guinness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4