Taking drinks on board Azura

amurray88

Hello!

Just doing a wee check - understand that P&O say you can take onboard a certain amount of drinks.

I'm on Azura next week. Would be keen to take on a few cans of beer and soft drink as well as possibly 2/3 bottles of wine.

How strict are they are with what you can bring on/how much you can bring on?

Thanks!

The "offical" limit I believe is one litre of alchol per pasenger - there is no limit on soft drinks. How strict is another question with how stict it is - theoretically any excess is handed in until the end of the cruise but this is mostly an "honesty" thing and is sometimes enforced and sometimes it isn't

• Like 1

we were on in October and found an indoor market stall in Sardinia selling plastic 1.5 litre bottles of wine "en vrac" (like mini petrol pumps!). The guy gave us some tasters and it was really good so we bought a bottle to take back on (4.5 euros!), no problem taking it onboard. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

we were on in October and found an indoor market stall in Sardinia selling plastic 1.5 litre bottles of wine "en vrac" (like mini petrol pumps!). The guy gave us some tasters and it was really good so we bought a bottle to take back on (4.5 euros!), no problem taking it onboard. 

Thank you! And...only for consumption in your room or were they happy for you to walk into bars/main dining room with a wine glass?

Thank you again!

53 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

which can only be consumed in your cabin. 

But if you walk into a bar/restaurant with a glass of wine who will know from whence it came - just as long as you use "proper" wine glasses and not as I have seen being done, using the ones out of the bathroom.

People walk around with drinks all the time.

• Thanks 1

I only noticed this practice on my recent cruises. I am sure it has been happening a while but once you see a smartly dressed gent leaving their cabin with glass in hand you tend to notice more. I can never get over the penny pinching some people do.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Thank you! And...only for consumption in your room or were they happy for you to walk into bars/main dining room with a wine glass?

Thank you again!

We only drank it in our cabin. You can of course walk around anywhere with a glass but only if you've bought it on the ship.

Exactly and given many lines don’t allow you to bring alcohol onboard full stop, let’s hope a few don’t end up spoiling if for the many who just enjoy  a balcony / cabin drink. I would be annoyed if this was taken away because of the loss of bar revenue because of abuse. 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

but only if you've bought it on the ship.

How will anyone know whether you have bought it on the ship or not?

In no way am I condoning this practice but it does happen and has been happening ever since I have been cruising - I have even heard passengers bragging about it.

Sorry I don't go on holiday to smuggle drinks onboard and then sneak them out of the cabin and walk around the ship pretending I have bought them from a bar. Personally I would rather not go on a cruise if I had to resort to that practice.

• Like 3

We have been on all inclusive holidays and have still brought alcohol from supermarkets to drink in our room/ balcony. I certainly would not feel guilty for bringing anything on board for the same reason.  We are more than happy to buy spirits to be delivered to the cabin which in the past have been reasonable priced but not willing to pay room service to bring us a beer. Believe me we certainly contribute to Carnivals profits when we are out of the cabin lol

36 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry I don't go on holiday to smuggle drinks onboard and then sneak them out of the cabin and walk around the ship pretending I have bought them from a bar. Personally I would rather not go on a cruise if I had to resort to that practice.

I wouldn't smuggle them on, P&O allow it 😊. I just wasn't sure what was the done thing so just wanted clarity.

I also tried to buy the drinks package several times and had a huge amount of hassle... If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even be asking.

8 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

I wouldn't smuggle them on, P&O allow it 😊. I just wasn't sure what was the done thing so just wanted clarity.

I also tried to buy the drinks package several times and had a huge amount of hassle... If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even be asking.

@amurray88 You can still purchase the drinks package onboard and I am sure reception will know not to charge your baby for one. They will understand the glitches with the computer system. 

amurray88 the done thing is what ever you feel comfortable with. If you choose to buy a bottle of the local wine etc, to drink in your cabin go for it. I hope you have a great cruise

46 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

They don't allow they clearly state that you allowed to take 1 litre aboard if you take more they are not allowing it you are smuggling it onboard. If you then take drinks from your cabin and then take them to board then it says more about you. 

• Like 1

majortom10 I am sure we are on the same side but the rules don’t really make sense if someone spends &1000 on their account but brings onboard a bottle of wine to drink sitting on their balcony in the sun yet someone brings on their 1 litre of gin on board and spends £50 and follows the rules is ok. Taking drinks out of the cabin is shameful I agree

If you’re flying with TUI they have some good inflight offers on spirits, not sure about other operators.

Hope you have a great cruise and all the pre-cruise problems are sorted for you 🥂

7 hours ago, Dobbers said:

If you’re flying with TUI they have some good inflight offers on spirits, not sure about other operators.

Hope you have a great cruise and all the pre-cruise problems are sorted for you 🥂

Either way, it won't be the end of the world. It'll put us off booking again but we'll still go and enjoy it 😊 thank you! Not long now!

15 hours ago, Wonky said:

Often on Azura canaries cruises the security is carried out by the port authority so they won’t stop you taking alcohol on board. Enjoy the sun!

And they will have a staff member sat at a desk just past where you scan you card as you get onboard to declare and hand over any alcohol - but the staff member will be sat there twiddling their thumbs as nobody has handed over anything at all all day.

Even when they have the security xray conducted on the ship and the crew can see bottles in bags nothing is handed over.

1 minute ago, 9265359 said:

And they will have a staff member sat at a desk just past where you scan you card as you get onboard to declare and hand over any alcohol - but the staff member will be sat there twiddling their thumbs as nobody has handed over anything at all all day.

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed them🤣

We were on Ventura just before Christmas.  At Gibraltar, security scanning was done on the ship.  We'd bought our full spirit allowance there.  The scanning staff didn't say anything about our haul.  We would have quite happily handed our stuff over to save storing it in the cabin.  All drinks made it home safely home un-opened.

• Like 1