Self-disembarkation vs. having the cruise line do it

On 12/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, Compooperteacher said:

All went well until we found out that we would have to lug the luggage up (maybe down?) a flight of stairs. Fortunately, the boys were able to carry the luggage.

If you're asking about stairs ON THE SHIP, yes.  You'll always have to wait for the elevator OR carry your bags up/down stairs.  It's easier if you are leaving pretty early; if you wait, more people will be up and about, and the elevators will be more busy. 

If you're asking about stairs IN THE TERMINAL after you've left the ship, maybe.  I've sailed several different terminals recently, and they're not all alike: 

- In Miami passengers had the choice of waiting for an elevator (long line) or going down an escalator (no line).  I saw an elderly woman fall down the escalator as she attempted to manage two large suitcases.  My husband was telling me, "Go, go, people are waiting", and I refused, saying, "No, that woman's going to fall.  I'm not getting on the escalator 'til she's off" -- and, yeah, she fell near the bottom.  I'm very glad I wasn't moving towards her /unable to stop.  

- In Port Canaveral they have a switchback ramp, and the whole crowd just walks along at a reasonable pace.  This is much nicer.  In the parking deck we chose to use the stairs rather than wait for an elevator.  

- Tampa's terminal was much smaller, and it was all flat.  We had no problem getting an elevator up in the parking deck.  

Is Indy still sailing from Port Canaveral?  If so, it's a nice terminal.  Easy in /easy out.

On 12/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, Compooperteacher said:

I sort of prefer keeping my luggage to myself, but if we have to do stairs that will make the choice easy.

We drive to the port, and we have a fairly long drive ahead of us -- so we like to go ahead and disembark as early as possible.  We get a last breakfast, then return to the room for our bags -- and we try to get in line for self-disembarkation.  If you get into line just before 7:00, you can count on being through the terminal and in your car by 7:30.  

Whether you love or hate it, keep in mind that the #1 requirement for Self-Disembarkation is that you MUST be able to manage your suitcases without help ... from your stateroom door - the end of the terminal.  

23 hours ago, crzndeb said:

The trick is on debarkation day, get an elevator going up, grab your spot, and then just ride it up, then down…LOL

That's a good tip.  

5 hours ago, Compooperteacher said:

All I want to know is if there are stairs. As I said, about 20 years ago, we did have to use stairs as the elevators were "reserved" for those passengers who were not doing the self-disembarkation.

No, I've not seem elevators reserved.  I have seen -- can't remember where -- staff telling some people (those who looked less-than-capable of hauling around their stuff) they HAD TO wait for the elevator.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On disembarking day, we are usually down on the promenade with all our bags (yes some gig ones, sorry folks deal with it) by about 615-630.  Have our coffee and breakfast, and walk off the moment the ship clears. 
Never any problems getting an elevator this way, and usually go from Cafe Promenade to curbside in about 10-15 minutes. 

18 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Unfortunately sometimes other passengers do wander off with the wrong bags, creating serious issues for the real owner of the bag and everyone traveling with them.

Once the luggage handlers mis-sorted our tagged luggage, placing it in the wrong section far away in the luggage hall.  It took a long time to find it.

I have more of a problem/concern with my bags not getting off the plane or on embarkation my bags are mis placed somewhere in left field on my deck.  I've got one of the ugliest looking bags that I can notice it a mile away.🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nelblu said:

I have more of a problem/concern with my bags not getting off the plane or on embarkation my bags are mis placed somewhere in left field on my deck.  I've got one of the ugliest looking bags that I can notice it a mile away.🤣

Our last few cruises it seems that the crew doesn't even try to get all your cases in front of your cabin. At least one has been located by walking the entire hallway.

10 hours ago, nelblu said:

I've got one of the ugliest looking bags that I can notice it a mile away.🤣

A good choice. 

3 hours ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Our last few cruises it seems that the crew doesn't even try to get all your cases in front of your cabin. At least one has been located by walking the entire hallway.

Yes, this was a surprise when we "returned to cruising" after the pandemic.  In the past we were used to our bags being left in front of our cabin door.  Now all the bags are lined up down the hallway; not a problem -- as long as you realize where they are.  

18 minutes ago, Compooperteacher said:

We are sailing (five nights) from Miami >Nassau>sea day>Falmouth>sea day>Miami.

Miami's the worst.  Crazy place, insane traffic, terminal isn't as nice as others.  

When we disembarked in Miami, we walked down the gangplank and were allowed to choose for ourselves whether we wanted to wait for the elevator (long line) ... or proceed straight to the escalator.  Stairs were never a choice.

HOWEVER, I don't remember the number of the terminal from which we sailed, and Royal has multiple terminals in Miami.  

We just debarked from Miami last month.  What a mess.  We were on a B2B and the first week some family got off and they missed their 1:00 flight due to traffic and the mess it caused at the terminal.

On 12/30/2023 at 4:45 PM, Starry Eyes said:

Yeah, sometimes there can be long waits for an empty elevator on the ship on the last morning, especially if many passengers elect self disembarkation.  People have carried their luggage down the stairs when they grew tried of waiting for an elevator.

2 Cruises ago Workers tried telling a Family, Sure dont want to wait for Elevator. 6ft 3in 300lb guy fell over his suitcases rolling over onto his short wife and 7yr old kid. This only 1/3 way down Escalator. Emergency Stop was pushed, I was behind them trying hold 2 their suitcases from rolling into them. Took 20min to get Family pulled apart, up and off as I stayed squatted holding  their 2 cases each by one  wheel, all while wearing my 25lb backpack. Screaming, Crying, lot of cuts and Blood, the Man laying on top his family headfirst. Everyone behind went back up so I'm alone there and finally last off after shore workers walked up to grab all their Luggage, purse, coat and cell phones. 

On 12/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, Compooperteacher said:

All went well until we found out that we would have to lug the luggage up (maybe down?) a flight of stairs. Fortunately, the boys were able to carry the luggage.

We are set for a March 11 cruise on Independence of the Seas. I sort of prefer keeping my luggage to myself, but if we have to do stairs that will make the choice easy.

So ... are stairs still an issue with self-disembarkation?

All US Port Terminal are ADA compliant.