NCL Upgrade Program - Room Location / Quality

thedoc29ca

Wondering for those who have had successful bids how have done with respect to room location?  I’d assume  the rooms that are available for bidding within a category would be the ones in less desirable locations, under pool decks,etc. but you know what they say about assuming.  

It depends.

Imagine that someone has a great balcony but decides to move up to a Haven suite. Someone else in an ocean view who wins that balcony will get a great stateroom. On the flip side, a terrible balcony is also available so the next person in an interior or ocean view will win that balcony stateroom.

There's a bit of an art to bidding. Each category of cabin is broken out separately when you get to the higher level rooms. So if you're bidding on say a Haven owners suite - there's only a handful of possible cabins you may get. Whereas bidding on a generic balcony from an inside is a bigger crapshoot.

For our next upcoming trip we have the option to bid on an owners suite, but are choosing not to. For the Epic, there's 3 different configurations of the owners suites. We don't care for one of them (small privasea balcony) so we're not taking a chance of possibly ending up in that and skipping the bidding.

But yes, there's a chance you'll get a less than great "upgrade". If you like your odds, go for it. If you're rather have a better but "inferior" room, keep what you have.

5 hours ago, thedoc29ca said:

Wondering for those who have had successful bids how have done with respect to room location?  I’d assume  the rooms that are available for bidding within a category would be the ones in less desirable locations, under pool decks,etc. but you know what they say about assuming.  

Impossible to know.

Book the room you are happy with & don't worry about it.

I booked a solo interior on the Getaway.

Min bid (maybe $5 more) for a balcony. (all my bids are close to min)

My balcony was on deck 8--could walk out my door & be in the action in seconds!

LOVED it.

We sailed Celebrity Equinox 10 nights w/ friends.

With Move Up, we paid $1500 less than our friends' balcony--right across the ship. 

(same floor, one port, one starboard)

Now, on Carnival we were upgraded from interior to balcony...RIGHT below pool deck.

Not my fav. Knew every song playing at the night deck parties.

But we aren't early to bed, so not a huge issue.

I love a good value, & I'm a gambler so Move Up is fun for me.

You also might get a Haven bid but still not be happy with the room assigned.  On our last Haven cruise we talked with a couple who had 'won' a Forward Facing PH Haven but were surprised to learn it wasn't like the ones pictured.  The regular FF Haven has two rooms plus a great bathroom.  They were awarded the handicapped room that was one large accessible room plus accessible bath.

They were very happy to be able to enjoy the Haven amenities.  However they were somewhat disappointed  that their cabin wasn't like the videos they had seen of other FF Haven cabins.