Venice tour group restrictions

Hockeyump

2 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

I see that from June Venice are banning loudspeakers and tourist groups of more than 25 people. I wonder how long it will be before some cruise lines take Venice off their itinerary.

If I lived in Venice I would be all for that too.  

• Like 7

No problem w that.  Venice is a stop that is best experienced by yourself wandering around trying to find a place that you know is somewhere close and then getting lost and seeing something interesting that you didn't know was there.  The usual tourist  spots in Venice are usually overrun with tourists and are just a pain to visit.

DON

• Like 3

Sooner or later the popular tourist areas of the world will all be ruined by tourism (at least those which aren't already). I remember crossing the old bridge in Bamberg - up ahead were lollipops and their equivalent as far as the eye could see. Pogo had it right.

Edited by duquephart

20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

No problem w that.  Venice is a stop that is best experienced by yourself wandering around trying to find a place that you know is somewhere close and then getting lost and seeing something interesting that you didn't know was there.  The usual tourist  spots in Venice are usually overrun with tourists and are just a pain to visit.

DON

That is very true, but I do recommend the visit to the top of the campanile in San Marco square. It might be a tourist spot, but they sell timed tickets in advance and there is an elevator, so it's not too much of a pain, and the view is spectacular. I had seen the photos before, but seeing it in person was amazing!

28 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

That is very true, but I do recommend the visit to the top of the campanile in San Marco square. It might be a tourist spot, but they sell timed tickets in advance and there is an elevator, so it's not too much of a pain, and the view is spectacular. I had seen the photos before, but seeing it in person was amazing!

Timing your tickets for the daily bell ringing is next level!

I also recommend that anyone who visits Vence read several of Donna Leon's Commissario Guido Brunneti series of books.  It will help your visit to Venice much better.  This is a quote from NY Times Book Review about her.

"Donna Leon is the ideal author for people who vaguely long for a good mystery. That Leon is also a brilliant writer should only add to the consistently comforting appeal of her Venetian procedurals featuring Commissario Guido Brunneti. Leon allows her warmhearted detective to take what solace he can from the beauty of his city and the homely domestic rituals that give him the strength to go on."

DON

• Like 3