Anyone do Greece in November ?

We were looking at a transatlantic from Greece to Ft Lauderdale Nov 2024. My mind says hurricane closer to Fla still a possibility but wondered if anyone has done the fall season in Greece. Thanks in advance.

We just got back from a cruise on another line (sorry); the second to last leg was from Sorrento to Kavala in the northeastern part of Greece. For us the weather in the Aegean and approaching that area was good. But anywhere, anytime, weather is a gamble. Our weather earlier near Italy was rocky.

1 hour ago, jinpasco said:

We were looking at a transatlantic from Greece to Ft Lauderdale Nov 2024. My mind says hurricane closer to Fla still a possibility but wondered if anyone has done the fall season in Greece. Thanks in advance.

Done it many times, Greek nights are cool, sweater needed, The Med. can be unpredictable and rainy, once out of Lisbon area the TA will be warm, hurricane season is coming to an end.

The Med and Greece is much more pleasant in October and November IMO.  Not the sweltering heat of the summer and not as many hordes of tourists in the ports.

I am happily sailing this fall in October/November on the Oosterdam.  I much prefer Europe in the shoulder season.

• Like 4

Mother nature always has her own agenda. 65 is better than 95 but rain is never welcome. It has to happen .We have been to Alaska 3 times, 2 times decent , 3rd time it monsooned and was cold most of our Aug trip. Even had some snow end of August ! I have to think this would be the same crapshoot.

Bill, no need to say " sorry".. We usually go with another line also but this trip would eliminate one way flight. Flights are sometimes more $$ than the cruises. 

Thanks to everyone for writing.

I was in Greece in early November of 2023. We were fortunate to have clear sunny days with temps in the high 70s/low 80s with low humidity. The weather could have been cool wet and windy as it was for the cruise before ours. That said I was prepared to enjoy either way. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were on the Oosterdam this past October/November, Athens to Ft Lauderdale.  The weather was lovely in Greece and Turkey and continued to Spain (high 70's, low 80's). But we did have a problem with WIND and docking at times. We missed 6 ports total (Kotor first with 65 knot winds coming down the valley the port sits on) then some others after we got to Spain. At Gibralter, the Captain rerouted us south so instead of heading north to Lisbon we had two stops in the Canary Islands. So, as always, be flexible about ports! We had a great trip, it was just a bit different than we expected.

-- I'll add, we had a smooth, sunny Atlantic crossing!

Edited by jljcruise
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to take the discussion in a slightly different direction (not talking about wind) other than the weather issues.  DW and I really enjoy Greece and have spent our share of time on land, sea, the islands and the mainland.  Our answer to cruising Greece in November is that it depends on quite a few factors.  We would be fine doing a land trip on the mainland, or cruising to some of the larger well populated islands such as Crete.  But most of the popular touristy Greek Islands (i.e. Santorini, Mykonos, etc) have tourist seasons and that generally ends in October.  It means that going to a place, such as Oia, Santorini in November will likely find many of the shops and restaurants closed for the winter season.  The good news is that there will also be a lot fewer tourists, the streets will not be crowded, and the atmosphere more laid-back than in the busy spring/summer/fall season.  

As to a November TA?  We love TAs (have done dozens) and would be absolutely fine with an Oct, Nov or even early Dec crossing.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am going to take the discussion in a slightly different direction (not talking about wind) other than the weather issues.  DW and I really enjoy Greece and have spent our share of time on land, sea, the islands and the mainland.  Our answer to cruising Greece in November is that it depends on quite a few factors.  We would be fine doing a land trip on the mainland, or cruising to some of the larger well populated islands such as Crete.  But most of the popular touristy Greek Islands (i.e. Santorini, Mykonos, etc) have tourist seasons and that generally ends in October.  It means that going to a place, such as Oia, Santorini in November will likely find many of the shops and restaurants closed for the winter season.  The good news is that there will also be a lot fewer tourists, the streets will not be crowded, and the atmosphere more laid-back than in the busy spring/summer/fall season.  

As to a November TA?  We love TAs (have done dozens) and would be absolutely fine with an Oct, Nov or even early Dec crossing.  

Hank

Good information. I am not a shopper  but do like trying different  foods. We have never tried a TA and thought since flying now getting so expensive and just not fun anymore, if we combine the trip with a TA it would be a better idea. Thank you.

Good information. I am not a shopper  but do like trying different  foods. We have never tried a TA and thought since flying now getting so expensive and just not fun anymore, if we combine the trip with a TA it would be a better idea. Thank you.

We completely agree and that has been our philosophy for about thirty-five years.  Perhaps it is best summed-up by saying "why fly if we can cruise?"  For many years we have argued that it is usually less expensive to take a TA cruise then to fly Business Class :).  And the cruise is so much more fun!  There are also times when we cruise both ways (to and from Europe) on a single trip.

Hank

• Like 1

We have spent a week there on a cruise. It was warm and a bit rainy at times, but overall fascinating. Rhodes was my favorite spot to visit. I went off on my own and felt completely safe and happy. 

• Like 1