B2B in Japan

Arubamoose

We are doing a B2B on Millie - Singapore to Tokyo (Yokohama), Tokyo to Tokyo.

We would like to do a tour of Tokyo the day in between cruises.

Celebrity does not offer anything - just airport transfers.

Does anyone know if they do Private Journey Consult Tours for turn around days?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

We did a B2B a couple years ago with turn around in Yokohama.   We planned a private tour (Tours by Local) but found right away that it was going to be a really rushed experience.    Tokyo is about an hour away and the all aboard time was going to be something like 3:30.   We did get special permission to cut it shorter and return no later than 4:00 for a 5PM departure.

The whole thing fell apart on Turn Around day when we got a call at 6:30 AM advising us that a Cyclone was heading our way and the port was closing early not allowing new passengers to board.    We were advised to bring a change of clothing, meds and documents to Rendezvous Lounge by 7:30 AM as we were being evacuated from the ship for the night.    Thank goodness the Tours by Locals had a Act of God clause in our contract and we received a full refund. 

Also they shut down all subways, trains and busses.   All stores shops and restaurants were also closed.    Our only food was via Room Service

I'm sure there would be a possibility of a Private Journey.    It should be noted that most tours in Japan are done by Train and Subway as getting around Tokyo via car can be very challenging.    HighSpeed Train is amazing.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

We are doing a B2B on Millie - Singapore to Tokyo (Yokohama), Tokyo to Tokyo.

We would like to do a tour of Tokyo the day in between cruises.

Celebrity does not offer anything - just airport transfers.

Does anyone know if they do Private Journey Consult Tours for turn around days?

Thanks!

Have you checked with people on your Roll Call to see if anyone has arranged anything like this?

We were actually on the same pair of B2B Japan cruises (the trans-pacific followed by a cruise around Japan) in 2018 and spent the night in the same hotel as Jim and Iain.  We were on the 51st floor of a 70 floor hotel, and I just remember the shaking when Trami hit.  

Just a quick comment -- Yokohama is interesting in its own right.  Some quirky museums (such as one dedicated to Cup of Noodles) and a lovely garden.   The garden features a collection of historic buildings from around Japan.  Just incredible.

3 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were actually on the same pair of B2B Japan cruises (the trans-pacific followed by a cruise around Japan) in 2018 and spent the night in the same hotel as Jim and Iain.  We were on the 51st floor of a 70 floor hotel, and I just remember the shaking when Trami hit.  

Just a quick comment -- Yokohama is interesting in its own right.  Some quirky museums (such as one dedicated to Cup of Noodles) and a lovely garden.   The garden features a collection of historic buildings from around Japan.  Just incredible.

That was one heck of a B2B.    He were dodging 2 more Cyclones and all ports were shifted.    I had 5 excursions setup with other cruisers that were all cancelled.     That was the last time I put together a group tour.   Took me a month to get refunded.    Luckily I hadn't collected money from the others until day of tour.  

The cruises Jim and I were on in 2018 was a 15 night Bering Sea and Japan cruise departing Vancouver on September 14th followed by a 13 night Japan Explorer departing on September 30th.

It was indeed quite the pair of cruises.  My mother had died several months before and I was the executor of her will.  While the estate was well organized it was large.  Very time consuming to deal with.  So we booked a number of shore excursions through Celebrity which turned out really well for us as we didn't have to deal with private vendors.  My attitude when on a cruise is that we are just going where the ship goes, and on those cruises that was the attitude to have.  A number of people were rather upset with the constant changing of ports and plans.

We will be returning to Japan this March for another B2B pair.  Since we spent five full days in Tokyo after our 2018 cruises this time we will work out of Yokohama.  We will spend four days there before boarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CardowMD said:

@Jim_IainWhat time of year were these cruises?

Like Gerry indicated it was in September of 2018.   I'm sure glad she keeps track of the dates.   It doesn't seem that long ago.

OOOOOhhhh -- Jim -- you are giving sooo much credit.  While I am an organized person, since we are preparing some final details for our upcoming Japan B2B, Charles had our cruise history opened.  So I just checked the history.  Knew it was in fall 2018 but wouldn't have remembered the sailing dates without looking at our cruise history.

I was trying to remember at which port in 2018 we visited where there was a lovely chopstick factory.  While I bought several sets in 2018 that factory was one from which which I later regretted not purchasing.  Alas -- we will not be at that port this spring.  So will be looking at other ports for lovely sets of chopsticks.  We use them at least weekly at our house.  Love the crane ceramic chopstick holders.  Have some red ones, but now want other colors.

Gerry

19 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

OOOOOhhhh -- Jim -- you are giving sooo much credit.  While I am an organized person, since we are preparing some final details for our upcoming Japan B2B, Charles had our cruise history opened.  So I just checked the history.  Knew it was in fall 2018 but wouldn't have remembered the sailing dates without looking at our cruise history.

I was trying to remember at which port in 2018 we visited where there was a lovely chopstick factory.  While I bought several sets in 2018 that factory was one from which which I later regretted not purchasing.  Alas -- we will not be at that port this spring.  So will be looking at other ports for lovely sets of chopsticks.  We use them at least weekly at our house.  Love the crane ceramic chopstick holders.  Have some red ones, but now want other colors.

Gerry

LOL..  I also keep a spreadsheet that calculates my CC points.    I reconcile periodically to add in the Power Up points.  

I am a big believer in if you see something you like BUY IT as it might not be there when you come back. 

Last year in Amsterdam I was amazed to see that an Artist that makes some of his Sweatshirts from his art was still selling my favorite one from 15-20 years ago.    The shop moved to a different location.    I almost bought another but my old one is still holding up well after all these years. 

58 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL..  I also keep a spreadsheet that calculates my CC points.    I reconcile periodically to add in the Power Up points.  

Jim -- you actually do PUPs!  We don't bother.  We hit zenith in 2016, so before you and Iain, and are approaching double.   My scientist husband likes to collect data, hence the spreadsheet.  After consulting the spreadsheet we can tell folks exactly what port and on which cruise we have been to.

Chopstick factories and stores are a "dime a dozen" in Japan.  If you pass on one set you will find another set equally appealing at another store.  When in one of these stores it is difficult to make a decision as there are simply SOOOO many options.  Many more options than when selecting flatware in North America.

It is coming in handy -   We hit Double Zenith on our next cruise.   If it weren't for PUP we would have missed it by 3 points.   

In the end we would have hit it on the next half of the B2B.

Actually we hit Zenith on the Japan Immersion.     We were going to be 1 day short of points so did an Alaska Land Tour.    In the end we would have hit it anyway because they screwed up with the date line and gave us an additional day of credit.

• Haha 1