Two Midwesterners escape winter on the Eurodam.

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Glad the prednisone is working!  It stopped my horrible cough a couple of years ago.  

Thanks for all the room service pictures.  The food looks good!

~Nancy

It is really good even the all day menu.  You can order off the MDR menu too before the kitchen opens. 

• Like 2

Company in port including the Celebrity Apex. Glad we got the pretty view earlier.  Obviously we are not going ashore I get breathless and then start coughing when we walked to the Ocean bar.  MSC Seaside, Nieuw Amsterdam and a small forgotten one. 

IMG_20240116_063442762_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Company in port including the Celebrity Apex. Glad we got the pretty view earlier.  Obviously we are not going ashore I get breathless and then start coughing when we walked to the Ocean bar.  MSC Seaside, Nieuw Amsterdam and a small forgotten one. 

IMG_20240116_063442762_HDR.jpg

Nice, we are coming home to the US on 30 October after staying in Barcelona for 3 months this fall. (America's Cup will be in Barcelona from Aug. to Oct. 2024.) It's a really nice ship and we like MSC. Just as we like HAL as well!

• Like 2

@ottahand7 Nancy, if you think of it next time you are at a bar, could you ask if they have the ingredients for Pisco Sours? (drink version from Chile has Pisco, lime and simple syrup (Peru adds egg white and bitters))  They aren't on the menu, but hopefully they can be made if there is Pisco brandy on board. 

My friends are going on their first HAL cruise and he's from Chile originally and loves his Pisco Sours!  Eurodam in March 2024

Thanks!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

@ottahand7 Nancy, if you think of it next time you are at a bar, could you ask if they have the ingredients for Pisco Sours? (drink version from Chile has Pisco, lime and simple syrup (Peru adds egg white and bitters))  They aren't on the menu, but hopefully they can be made if there is Pisco brandy on board. 

My friends are going on their first HAL cruise and he's from Chile originally and loves his Pisco Sours!  Eurodam in March 2024

Thanks!

~Nancy

I bet they do with all South America itineraries.  I will ask, I bet we are going to one tonight.  

• Thanks 1

On Saturday they took on many pieces of equipment and were an hour late departing. On Sunday we got a message that new AC was going to be installed and the system shut down at 10. It was back on in an hour.  In our suite it seems to have been an improvement but someone in our hall came out of her cabin "boy is it hot".  I almost regretted bringing a sweater as it was chilly in the Lido at noon but we were on the shady side.  Last week everyone found the coolest areas furthest away from the Seaview Pool. The hallways are back to chilly for the most part.  I hope it continues.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, canadarocks said:

I'm intrigued by what the Tripod game is?

I will try to check it out when I make it up to Explorations. 

I have been kind of staying on the down low for a few.  The respiratory illness was much worse than I had thought.  The infection is gone but as many people with asthma etc, the cough is now a horrible problem.  I have been trying to keep my exertion to a minimum, less oxygen exchange means less chance of triggering a cough.   But, once I get into the cabin I can let it rip.  Once I get prone in bed the lungs start their house keeping and start sending the fluids up into the throat.  I coughed so much last night I think I have strained or tore a pectoral muscle below my rib cage.  I hope I can get a break from it so I can walk into town and get some straight Guaifenisin to add a Tylenol #3 tablet to get a fair facsimile of what I consumed. Best hope is Medical will sell me a bottle of theirs which is the same I have used up. 

I think taking the high doses of Prednisone it is clearing the inflammation faster than with any other respiratory infections.  So the coughing will probably be compressed into fewer days but it has been hellish at night. I feel well and the Cefixime I self treated with has changed the evidence of bronchitis.  I have 5 more days of those.   Since I am no longer communicable the less interaction with medical the better, thus self treatment of bronchitis instead of the agreed $99 for consultation to start.  My energy is great due to seductive effects of Prednisone but I am taking it easy.  

Everyone get your RSV vax.  John is perfectly well.   I wasn't vaccinated. This illness which isn't known to be RSV is on the scale of the illness that we both had after getting off the Zuiderdam December 20, 2019.   The ship had come out of dry dock in early January with all all new crew most traveling the major airports in Asia.  About a month later China came forward with what they shared with the world.   Not for sure but we were sick for two months with that respiratory illness.  Therefore I pounced on this with Prednisone as soon as my fever fell into the 99s.  We live way back in the North woods in MI during the summer and the self doctoring is a big help at sea too. Long story.....

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 4

Getting caught up from yesterday.  We are backing into our berth in St. Lucia. It appears we are in a new one for us. Payless Shoe store visible.  

Here is last evening's dinner menu.  We are in Canalletto last night. 

Screenshot_20240118-063341-712.png

Screenshot_20240118-063553-681.png

Our Canalletto dinner last night.  John had Tiger Prawns (lukewarm but probably first plate out of the kitchen) and the Tretelle with three seafoods but at the end we couldn't be sure there was a third.  I had the Veal Meatballs, pretty good and the osso bucco on a plate that wasn't generous enough for it.  

IMG_20240117_172127147_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240117_172137332.jpg

IMG_20240117_172218919_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240117_172751520_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240117_174105179.jpg

IMG_20240117_174120664.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Our Canalletto dinner last night.  John had Tiger Prawns (lukewarm but probably first plate out of the kitchen) and the Tretelle with three seafoods but at the end we couldn't be sure there was a third.  I had the Veal Meatballs, pretty good and the osso bucco on a plate that wasn't generous enough for it.  

IMG_20240117_172127147_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240117_172137332.jpg

IMG_20240117_172218919_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240117_172751520_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240117_174105179.jpg

IMG_20240117_174120664.jpg

Thanks as usual for the honest reviews! We have the All In package but it doesn't include Canalletto. So... in your view is, it worth paying the extra to go to this restaurant or just stay with the MDR?

PS: We hope to see you next week when we board! Hope we get to meet you!

• Thanks 1

Just a couple of notes:  

The trio in Oceans Bar is pretty good, worth listening to while playing Gin Rummy, Dueling Pianos has been full, the Comedian was pretty good as was the pianist on the World Stage.  Have enjoyed the fare at the MDR and Lido buffet - carving table is always good.  The frosted glass in the Crows Nest has not yet been repaired,  but the coffee is good.  Have not made it to The Rolling Stone for music - too loud for my old ears.  Tamirand was OK - filet was over cooked,  everything else was very good.  

We are enjoying most everything on the Eurodam.  We are aft on deck 8 - next aft cabin on our Sept. trip out of Athens is on Deck 5 - less lounge chair noise.  The service is very good and the staff is almost always

smiling and eager to serve.

ottahand is doing a great job keeping this thread up to date.   

Scott

🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who is on the Eurodam, what is the interpretation of the term, “Dressy.”  What are passengers wearing to dinner for a dressy night?  I’m assuming it is probably a mix of different degrees of dressiness!  How would you say the majority of passengers are dressed to go to dinner on these nights?  We will be boarding the Eurodam next month and aren’t sure what to bring for “dressy.”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PCruzer said:

Anyone who is on the Eurodam, what is the interpretation of the term, “Dressy.”  What are passengers wearing to dinner for a dressy night?  I’m assuming it is probably a mix of different degrees of dressiness!  How would you say the majority of passengers are dressed to go to dinner on these nights?  We will be boarding the Eurodam next month and aren’t sure what to bring for “dressy.”

Most women wear a nice dress.  Most men wear a dress shirt and a jacket and some wear a tie.  On HAL, being a line that appeals to an older clientele, 80-90% dress up.

I did not see anyone turned away from the MDR unless they were wearing shorts or muscle shirts.

• Like 1