The Restaurant -- Seating Question

FetaCheese

Posted (edited)

On Star now.  When dining at The Restaurant, we are always seated on Starboard side.

Anyone know how seating assignments are handled.  Would prefer Port side dining room, but just sit where they take us, and have not asked for port side.  Port side seems less crowded, quieter, with some privacy panels between tables, wider table spacing.

We are in a DV 2, so wondering if higher up cabins are seated on Port side, or am I over thinking this?

Anyone have insights?  Thanks

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

To my knowledge there is no seating preference based on cabin type.

Just ask at the desk to be seated where you want to go - if there is a table open there should be no reason why you cannot sit where you want.

We typically find a serving team and location that we like and ask them to hold that for us every night and most of the time we get what we ask for.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

We are in a DV 2, so wondering if higher up cabins are seated on Port side, or am I over thinking this?

I've only ever traveled on Deck 3 or 4 and I have often had similar thoughts. I have found that on any given cruise they tend to seat us in the same area every time but we have been seated all over the dining room. 

• Thanks 1

They seem to always bias towards Starboard simply because that's where the "Host Station" is - but we have very limited first-hand experience simply because we generally found The Restaurant too noisy and close quarters for us.

• Thanks 1

Anyone have insights?

My personal observation  is that  having diner 7:30 or 8:pm, we have been  seated on the port side. By end of night the starboard side is basically empty, but the late diners close down the port side.  We have eaten on both side though.  We are usually a table for two.  

• Thanks 1

I think it has far more to do when you come for dinner.  I have noticed a few times when we are dining with friends and dinner seems to go on much longer that the dining room clears out more on one side than the other.  I think towards the end of the night, they direct diners to the starboard side, and start clearing out the port side to set up for breakfast the next morning.  We have walked out of a 7 pm dinner close to 9:30, being the last people on the port side, but dining is still finishing up on Starboard.  
That being said, we tend to eat around 7:30 and have gotten seated everywhere.  

• Like 2

On Star now.  When dining at The Restaurant, we are always seated on Starboard side.

Anyone know how seating assignments are handled.  Would prefer Port side dining room, but just sit where they take us, and have not asked for port side.  Port side seems less crowded, quieter, with some privacy panels between tables, wider table spacing.

Anyone have insights?  Thanks

I wonder if it has to do with the number of servers on shift.  I have noticed that they do tend to seat everyone in the same area for a 6:00 serving and then another area for a 7:00 serving, etc.  To group people together in one area would make it easier on the servers.  

I don't think we've ever sat on the port side in the restaurant.  I will make a point of checking it out in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Yes, we have gotten to know maitre D, and we request a table of a nice server, Mela.  Last night, at 7:30, unfortunately her table was right next to kitchen entrance, very busy area.  Restaurant was also very full and loud until pax started leaving.

Tonight, will ask for port side dining room, and for a quiet table.

19 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Yes, we have gotten to know maitre D, and we request a table of a nice server, Mela.  Last night, at 7:30, unfortunately her table was right next to kitchen entrance, very busy area.  Restaurant was also very full and loud until pax started leaving.

Tonight, will ask for port side dining room, and for a quiet table.

Please let us know how that goes.

2 hours ago, millybess said:

Please let us know how that goes.

Will do, but Tonight Manfredis.  Really Excellent, and I like the new menu.  Prior night, server said they have 4 menus, but don't know about rotation on this voyage, or on which ships.

8 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Will do, but Tonight Manfredis.  Really Excellent, and I like the new menu.  Prior night, server said they have 4 menus, but don't know about rotation on this voyage, or on which ships.

That's interesting.  We really like Manfred's.  We sail in a couple of weeks and we're looking forward to seeing what's new.  Thanks for that!

And, given your reviews, I think we will be trying out the restaurant more often too.

• Thanks 1

If you want a particular side or area, ask and they will do their best to accommodate you. Side note! Last cruise, we asked to be set in Adri’s section.  Little did we know there were a few by that name.  We should have specified side ( port or starboard) and even the 100 or 200 section!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

If you want a particular side or area, ask and they will do their best to accommodate you. Side note! Last cruise, we asked to be set in Adri’s section.  Little did we know there were a few by that name.  We should have specified side ( port or starboard) and even the 100 or 200 section!

Abdi and Ian were our favourite waiters on Jupiter. They were very professional but also good fun. Papillon was on the front desk and he tried his best to find a table in the right section for us.

On 1/3/2024 at 2:24 AM, FetaCheese said:

We've been seated on both sides of the dining room; we discovered a table and server that we particularly liked, and started asking for that table, and they always put us there after that (we're people who like to eat early, so we're usually among the first in the dining room).

• Thanks 1