LIVE! HAL Oosterdam 1/7-1/29 South America & Antarctica—Let’s Cruise!

4 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I’ll be following along as we are on Oosterdam next fall. She’s the only one of the Vistas we haven’t been on.

Cabin Fever is SO good! One or two incorrect bits (grand staircase to the Lido on the Zaandam??) but very well written overall.

It really is well written—I’m having trouble putting it down—whole situation is still hard to believe happened only 4 years ago!  

And thanks for following along!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are on the Lima to Santiago plane!  Got to Gate with 10 minutes to spare.

On the plus side — luggage through direct to Santiago.  Clearly marked International Teansfer Lane.  No customs.  Special security area for in. Transfers only, so went fast!

On minus side—LOTS of stairs up and down—like the old La Guardia airport but MORE stairs.  Our gate was B1.  Not on any of the signs from transfer area!  We got incorrect directions and ended up on the opposite side of the terminal!  At least I got my 10,000 steps in. 😂

Then we had to take a bus to the plane-no jet way.  A HOT bus which sat on tarmac forever. Steep stairs to the plane.  We are in Regular economy-I’m 5 foot nothing and my knees practically hit chair in front of me!  No wifi or entertainment on plane—WHICH IS ok I’ll read.

I’m sending this via my phone—all the countries in Latin America that we are visiting, except Falkland Islands—are covered I by my ATT plan at no additional charge!

oK door about to close.  Not many photos of airport since we were mostly in the move to the Gate.

IMG_2702.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2701.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 8

We landed on time at 4:39 AM .  LATAM airline was fine, no complaints.  

Customs was a breeze—no line at that hour.  Took awhile for our luggage.  We booked an hour so 5:30 pick up with Welcome Pick ups was perfect.  Gonzolo texted us as we arrived, had our names on a sign, pre paid, big car for our luggage.  Just what we wanted at 5:30am—no brain cells needed!

• Like 5

Brain cells unfortunately were needed to check into our room at the Sheraton Santiago.  Even though we had called the front desk to let them know to hold our room for an t Jan 5 arrival (booked room Jan4 to 7) they couldn’t find our reservation!  I looked on my Bonvoy app to find that our room had been cancelled as a no show!  

They reinstated the reservation, and we got a lovely free room upgrade to a beautiful Superior room with GREAT views!  VERY comfortable bed, and we went right to sleep!

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Woke up about noon, which is not so bad since 10am EST.  Nice. Britt expression maker in the room, so had coffee

HERE ARE SOME Sheraton Santiago photos:

IMG_2778.jpeg

IMG_2770.jpeg

IMG_2763.jpeg

IMG_2762.jpeg

IMG_2759.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2749.jpeg

IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

IMG_2775.jpeg

IMG_2774.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 9

The HAL desk is right in the lobby—lots of guests here on the pre-cruise package.  Although we are not on the package (it was sold out). There was room on the 3:30 tour of Santiago, which we are on now!

excellent tour, lots of walking in downtown Santiago.  Small van group of 14 people.   Have learned a ton from Cecelia our guide.  Now in traffic back to hotel. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

The tour today was informative, and it was nice to see lots of the suburbs of the city, plus get a chance to walk around downtown Santiago.

On the tour we walked to the Cathedral (destroyed multiple times by massive earthquakes, the last time in the late 1700s, but further damage from some more recent ones can be seen with cracks in ceiling), the Presidential palace, the main park, several museums (did not enter) and up and down a road with some outdoor restaurants as we learned a bit about local cuisine.

We also drove around to see the hills with the funicular and cable car, the tallest building in South America (which has a giant mall in it), and a beautiful park with swans that have black heads and white bodies.

The politics in Chile are very divided, and Santiago had a very rough time of it with terrible riots just prior to the pandemic. Currently, a new constitution has now failed 2 votes.  We were warned to be very careful walking around, and the amount of graffiti in certain areas is shocking; I never thought I’d see a city with more graffiti than Barcelona, but now I’ve seen Santiago, so Barcelona has lost their 1st in Graffiti trophy.

IMG_2845.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg

Different ways to accompany your sanwiches! Completo, italian, etc.

IMG_2851.jpeg

Below drink, Cola de Monc, is alcoholic and vey popular

IMG_2858.jpeg

The below local dishes include tongue, kidney, intestines etc.

IMG_2852.jpeg

IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2893.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

IMG_2872.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Before the tour, we walked about 10 minutes down the hill into a very walkable neighborhood with little restaurants and cafes everywhere. We picked a restaurant called La Biferia that specialized in meat (they say they are #1 in meat and I believe them!)  I had the beef tenderloin and Russ the Rib Eye, with sides of grilled vegetables and polenta; whole meal was $67 including tip and the meat was well seasoned and excellent; highly recommend if you are looking for beef lunch or dinner!  They had English menus. We sat outside; the weather was glorious today; so sunny and not humid at all!  

IMG_2732.jpeg

IMG_2730.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

IMG_2724.jpeg

IMG_2725.jpeg

IMG_2726.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 8

So….I added another excursion!  I’m not really having another chance to get up into the Andes mountains on this trip (there is a day where some excursions are going on the cruise, but we are doing a long nature walk instead).  

And there it was at the holland america table—the Full Day Andes Mountain Range tour! 

I’m feeling really well after flying in (I normally don’t want to sign up for something so lengthy in advance since I have to see how the old RA is doing). and so I thought—why not??  

Russ is going to stay in Santiago and walk all over the city.  Will report back, of course, on how all tha goes!  OK…not sleepy yet, but I need to get some rest for tomorrow’s excursion!  Description of excursion in the image: 

IMG_2915.jpeg

• Like 4

Oh, an before I forget, I did get my cruise preview vlog online for this trip, which is great because I taped it at 10pm the night before we left, and wasn’t sure I’d get it up before the cruise starts! Y’all are already along for the ride, but here it is in case you are interested: 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

On the tour van to the Andes!  Small group—11 people.

Had the fantastic hotel buffet breakfast to start—lots of fresh fruit, good bacon, made to order omelettes, pastries, yogurt, in a beautiful open air setting by the pool

Weather at 8am a cool and beautiful 60 degrees!  Now at 10am 63.  Med climate so heats up during day.

IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

IMG_2924.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Long day!  Due to traiffic an a few construction road stoppages, we didn’t get back to the hotel until 6:30pm—9 hours, and it was supposed to be a 7 hour tour.

I highly recommend this tour if you want to visit some of the high Andes mountains to the northeast of Santiago. I’ve included a map below to give you an idea where we traveled to.

On our way up Edward, our tour guide, was very informative about Chilean agriculture, the mountains, rivers, and various plants. We stopped at a vineyard briefly to talk about grape agriculture, we stopped at the Colorado river for some photos of the muddy rushing river from a bridge, and stopped to see the aforementioned Aconcagua mountain, plus a couple other stops. We also stopped for some views RIGHT at the border between Chile and Argentina (feels like we might have walked right into Argentina at one point, but no one was too fussed about it; when we drove down that hill we had to show our receipts from our water purchases in Santiago to prove we had come from Chile and not Argentina! 

The road up to the Portillo ski resort (and Hotel Portillo, where we had lunch had 29 switchbacks (!!).  I found it quite entertaining, but I don’t get car sick.

On the way home, we mostly rested, but then Edward told us about some of the ports we’d be visiting and a bit about our embarkation port, San Antonio, tomorrow. Evidently crime is a big problem there because we were told to hide anything that looked valuable, and our guide told me directly to put my Nikon in my carry on due to the situation.

We had planned to walk down to the local restaurants again tonight, but I was exhausted from the long day (even though its not a ton of walking; I was only at 6,000 steps). Also, Russ tripped and fell during his touring around Santiago—he’s OK, just a bit bruised up.  We also weren’t all that hungry, so just got a quick bite with some wonderful new cruise friends we met yesterday.

Then we had to repack everything (its amazing how much stuff we had to UNPACK for 48 hours!) Now finally just resting.

Also got a quick photo of downtown Santiago and the mountains right before sunset.

Tomorrow we finally board the ship! We are terribly excited. I suspect that @NorbertsNiece has left the ship in good order for us!  Oosterdam here we come!

IMG_2761.jpeg

IMG_2971.jpeg

IMG_2972.jpeg

IMG_3018.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_2987.jpeg

IMG_3165.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3215.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 9

@TravelBluebird when I was reading about the Andes tour it sounded just like what I would like to do next time I'm in Santiago.  Then you mentioned the road switchbacks and that stopped me in my tracks because I get horribly carsick if I'm not driving!  Even on flat straight roads.  Maybe meclazine would solve the problem as I really would love to see the Andes.  

Has anyone experienced such a bus tour and used meclazine or similar medication?

~Nancy

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

@TravelBluebird when I was reading about the Andes tour it sounded just like what I would like to do next time I'm in Santiago.  Then you mentioned the road switchbacks and that stopped me in my tracks because I get horribly carsick if I'm not driving!  Even on flat straight roads.  Maybe meclazine would solve the problem as I really would love to see the Andes.  

Has anyone experienced such a bus tour and used meclazine or similar medication?

~Nancy

I hope someone can answer your question! I mentioned the switchbacks because I have a son who still gets car sick in such situations, and one poor gal in our van was nibbling crackers and green that part of the trip.

I also should mention to be careful if you are sensitive to altitude (I am due to asthma). There is a hill down to the lake from the restaurant. I had to come back up the hill VERY slowly because my heart was pounding and I got winded from slowly walking up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Hey!!! Still on the ship waiting for our colour tag to be called. Seems well organised. So far. Balcony doors being opened for washing down as I type.

Have a fabulous time!!

@NorbertsNiece I’m sad your trip, and your marvelous Cruise Critic blog are over!  Thank you SO MUCH, for all the wonderful information and photos. And thank you for letting me know disembarkation is happening on time!

• Like 1

• Great job TravelBluebird! We’ll be sure to keep up with your adventures as we’re picking up the OOSTERDAM as you disembark. We’ll also be switching channels to check out the adventures of NorbertsNiece. I’m assuming your first port of call will be Puerta Montt. If you do a tour that includes Petrohue Falls be ready for some amazing blues!
  • Steve
  • Like 1