Transportation into Rome

GAgaltravel

What is the best way to travel from Civitavecchia into Rome city center? We are cruising Royal Caribbean but I don't want to do any of their excursions. Will they offer transportation? Should we hire a car? Thanks in advance! We will be there in June. 

Train. Private transfers. I suspect they will offer transportation. Cabs. All discussed if you look around the board. 

Also mentioned is that driving in Rome is NOT recommended,  as there are many limited parking and driving areas, plus just crazy traffic.

• Like 1

We've had great success using Tiber Limo to transfer between Hotel to Port, Port to Rome center & the airport.  They are reliable, professional and reasonable.  

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Train. Private transfers. I suspect they will offer transportation. Cabs. All discussed if you look around the board. 

Also mentioned is that driving in Rome is NOT recommended,  as there are many limited parking and driving areas, plus just crazy traffic.

I was in Rome in 1991 and traffic was crazy then.  I can only imagine what it's like today!

For our port day in Rome, we used the train, the Civitavecchia Express, about 1 hr each way. 

Easy, comfortable and so inexpensive.

We bought a RT ticket to Roma Ostiense for 15E, but disembarked early at S Pietro so we could stop at the Vatican.  After that we walked or took taxis to visit places of interest, then boarded at Ostiense for our return to the ship.  

Highly recommend this service if it works with your port times. The only downfall is ...one departure in each direction, so you leave Civi around 9am and you leave Rome around 4:30pm. 

Civitavecchia Express: non-stop train for cruise passengers | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

@mapleleaves Thanks for the information. Should we purchase these tickets ahead of time? I'm guessing with the cruise ships there and only one departure time that its going to be crazy busy. I also just discovered that our cruise has passengers boarding the cruise in Rome. (We board in Barcelona). Maybe this is an advantage? Thanks!

2 hours ago, GAgaltravel said:

@mapleleaves Thanks for the information. Should we purchase these tickets ahead of time? I'm guessing with the cruise ships there and only one departure time that its going to be crazy busy. I also just discovered that our cruise has passengers boarding the cruise in Rome. (We board in Barcelona). Maybe this is an advantage? Thanks!

We boarded in Barcelona too. LOVED that city!

I didn't pre-purchase; only because I didn't know what time our little group would be ready to go. (we were traveling with people I'd never travelled with before).  When we got to the Civi train station there were 7-8 people in line at the ticket machine, but I noticed the little shop next door was selling tickets so we just bought them there!  same price, and we were in time for the Express Train so it worked out well. 

If I knew I would be on a specific train, I'd pre-purchase. Especially because you can buy tickets that include the 6E bus fare from the ship directly to the Civi train station. (on the trenitalia site, choose your starting point as Civitavecchia Porto.)

What time do you dock in Civi? While the Express train is comfortable and not crowded, it's limiting in that there's only 1 departure each way. You may want to take an earlier train in order to extend your time in Rome.  Hope this helps.

On 1/7/2024 at 5:57 PM, mapleleaves said:

What time do you dock in Civi? While the Express train is comfortable and not crowded, it's limiting in that there's only 1 departure each way.

I believe the shop docks at 6:00 a.m. My concern is the thousands of passengers disembarking to catch the 9:00 a.m. express train. Do you remember what time you disembarked? RCCL has an expensive "express train" excursion ($95!!) that is basically shuttle to station and express train tickets to and from port. I can't stomach the $200 it would cost the two of us, but wondering if it would be worth the peace of mind. 

I think you're overly stressed about this!  It's not a chaotic scene. 

I don't remember what time we disembarked. Probably around 7:30, certainly no earlier than that!  I don't recall waiting for a bus so there must be several busses leaving one after another.  And there were quite a few empty seats on the train in both directions. 

The advantage to the Civi Express is a guaranteed seat, so if you definitely want the Express, prebook the train/bus combo. Disembark early if you're worried long lines. Worse case scenario is: you're standing at Civi Station for 30-40 minutes, waiting.

OR, if you want more time in Rome, disembark early, pay 6E cash to the bus driver and buy a ticket at the station for the next available regional train.  (you may have to stand for all or part of the trip) 

Read post #313 from TheHawk which outlines the timing of their experience. 

Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2023: Your questions answered here! - Page 16 - Italy Ports - Cruise Critic Community

At the risk of repeating what many (including me) have posted in the past, we will again mention the "BIRG" train ticket (for 5 zones).  The last time we looked the ticket costs 12 Euros and gives the user round trip regional train between Civitavecchia and any of the Rome train stations plus all days unlimited use of Rome's public metro and bus system.  You can buy the ticket at the train station or at various local small shops/news stands.    The Birg ticket must be validated (by inserting into the validations machines located at the train station) before first use and is valid until midnight of that same day.

Hank

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

I think you're overly stressed about this!  It's not a chaotic scene. 

You’re right! I’m overly stressed! 😊 First time my 22 year old daughter has been overseas and my first time traveling overseas without my husband with us. And… I’m a bit of an over planner. Your response has helped tremendously. Thank you! 

51 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

the ticket costs 12 Euros and gives the user round trip regional train between Civitavecchia and any of the Rome train stations plus all days unlimited use of Rome's public metro and bus system

On this ticket could you do express train into Rome and non express back? Would give us more time not having to catch 4:00 express. 

38 minutes ago, GAgaltravel said:

You’re right! I’m overly stressed! 😊 First time my 22 year old daughter has been overseas and my first time traveling overseas without my husband with us. And… I’m a bit of an over planner. Your response has helped tremendously. Thank you! 

On this ticket could you do express train into Rome and non express back? Would give us more time not having to catch 4:00 express. 

I hope Euro Cruiser sees this post and can give a more expert answer.  But, if what you are calling express is the Frecce trains (these trains make fewer stops) then I do not think they are covered by the BIRG!  Keep in mind that most of the faster trains are not really that much faster :).   

Hank

• Thanks 1

You two will be fine.  My little group was like a herd of cats !   We missed every train I planned on!   I'm a planner so it drove me crazy. 

I bought RT Civi Express tickets because the train was there and boarding.  I figured if the return time didn't work for us, so what ....we would lose less than $10 on that ticket!  and we could buy a new ticket on a Regional train for less than $10, so it's still inexpensive transportation.

I understand your stress, I felt the same when going to Alaska.  It will work out.  Go early - you will not be alone so that will help.  The journey has been explained multiple times and you can see advice on you tube e.g 

the advice about ticket validation is important.  

we have done the journey 7 or so times.  I always get off at St Peter’s and start the day walking through the Vatican.  We get the return from Termini, usually making sure that there are a couple of backup trains after the one we select.  Just be sure to know that Termini is huge and the trains to Civi go from a platform that is a bit of a walk from the front entrance so get there at least 15 minutes before your train.  If you get on in Termini you have more of a chance of getting a seat. 

On 1/19/2024 at 2:29 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

I always get off at St Peter’s and start the day walking through the Vatican.  We get the return from Termini, usually making sure that there are a couple of backup trains after the one we select.  Just

Thanks so much for your help. It puts my mind at ease! 

We could start a new thread on "tips for DIYers" or "tips for planners."  We know some folks really get into detail with their planning (we have friends who print out spreadsheets, plan every minute, etc).  This is fun (for some) but can also be a recipie for anxiety, flaring tempers, etc.  

My advice, based on more than 50 years of extensive DIY travel, is quite simple.  Do your pre-trip homework and know you options!  Rather than trying to plan on every minute, knowing options means you can easily adjust "on the fly."  If you miss a desired train, know when there are other trains or perhaps even have a "Plan B" to do something different.  If the weather is not suitable for your planned day, know your options to change to activities that work for the current weather.  

A good example might be what once happened to us at Naples, Italy.  DW and I had planned on walkover over to the ferry terminal and taking a certain ferry to Procida.  These ferrys do not run very often, and as luck would have it we were late and missed that ferry.  No problem.  We simply bought tickets on a ferry that was leaving on a few minutes for Ischia!  It turned out to be a wonderful day.

I also recall getting to Naples during an awful heat wave.  We had planned on taking the train to Pompeii (love this place) but immediately realized it was just too darn hot to be walking around those wide open ruins.  So we simply walked into town and went to the wonderful Archeological.Museum which is quite comfortable on most hot days.   

Somebody once asked me, "what if there is a last minute train strike?"  My answer was simply, go to Plan B.  Sometimes the best days are when things just happen.

Hank

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Sometimes the best days are when things just happen.

Love this advice. I have learned to “loosen up” over the years. Last summer my husband and I did a Viking cruise and decided to spend a couple of days in Paris. The only thing planned was our flight and hotel room. We had the best time! Thanks for sharing.