San Juan Departure at 8:30 What time do they start letting people on to the ship

Now that the Viva has started to sail out of San Juan I want to find out what time people actually are starting to board the ship.  We like to get there early but also do not want to sit in a hot warehouse waiting to get on to the ship.   Sailing out not till 830.  

We have not set a time yet, We just want to check in and then get on the ship.  We have usually go to the ship around 10ish and just sit and wait for an hour or so and then get on ship.  But what I have heard in San Juan there is no AC so it get very uncomfortable.  We could wait till 2-3 but have to be out of hotel before then.

Times to board are not set.  They will suggest check in times to control the crowd.  But, boarding times are determined by other factors…. Haven?  Wheelchair/walker?  Latitudes Status?

Noon is usually the standard boarding time they quote!

I've done this route several times on the Epic the last few years. 

The late departure is a result of the logistics of flying to San Juan and not the ship coming in late.  

Day of flights from the US and Canada don't land until the afternoon. 

However, the ship arrives in the early morning and starts debarkation early.  

When we were in San Juan the night before we were able to board at noon. 

If you're in the area, there's no downside to getting there on the early side. 

Just know the port area is an absolute mess with regards to traffic if you're going to get there early.  

If you're getting there at 3-5pm it's much better. 

Honestly, I'd recommend walking to the pier if you're able. I've done it before. 

We've sailed out of San Juan on NCL three times and are about to do our fourth.

The first time was 2017 and we went straight from the airport -- it was NCL's first cruise out of San Juan that season and this was after the island go slammed with hurricanes. Our hotel was canceled because it was only housing relief workers. At that point, there was no AC in the port. We waited outside to get through security and then pretty much went directly on the ship.

The other two sailings we got to the port pretty early -- 10:30ish. We had to wait awhile, but we starting boarding (Haven) around 11:00-11:30. I plan on getting there early this year, too. We had zero issues with the AC this past February -- I don't remember being hot at all. I do know that if the initial waiting area fills up, they won't let anyone else into it, so you would be stuck waiting outside.

Traffic can also be a bit of a nightmare, which is one reason we arrive early. I wouldn't suggest walking to the port. The sidewalks end and then you are stuck dragging your luggage on the side of a very busy road. Plus, it can get hot and this is not the way I'd prefer to begin my vacation.

We like getting on the ship as soon as possible to start our vacation. Enjoy your cruise!

10 hours ago, dpepper64 said:

Now that the Viva has started to sail out of San Juan I want to find out what time people actually are starting to board the ship.  We like to get there early but also do not want to sit in a hot warehouse waiting to get on to the ship.   Sailing out not till 830.  

Priority boarding starts around 11:00. General boarding around 11:30. The port is small and congested so it take time to get in and out.