Masking Required On Any Ships?

Has anyone been required to wear a mask on any ships during Embarkation or Debarkation recently?  Or have masks been required at any other times during a recent sailing?  

Any masks requirements on any islands that you have experienced, recently?

A friend of mine was told by her travel agent today that HAL is requiring masks to be worn during Embarkation and Debarkation, during HAL Shore Excursions and masking is recommended in the world stage, etc. I am wondering if this is an old masking requirement and policy that the travel agent pulled up by mistake?  I would appreciate any recent cruiser's experience, please. We would like to know what to expect on our upcoming cruise on Sunday.  Thanks in advance.

Cruise Crud is always a problem - resident ChengKP claims daily saline misting of the nasal cavities is a good defense against the dry air found in the closed-system interiors of any cruise ships. Worth a try. 

• Like 1

We've been on 4 HAL cruises since Covid and have not had masks required on any of them. I have seen signs one time that said masks were recommended,  but that was in '22 (?). Our latest cruise was this past autumn. That being said, there have been a lot of coughers on each cruise, and with flu, covid, RSV, and who-knows-what-else going around, it's probably smart to wear them at times at indoor venues on the ship or expect to possibly catch something. 

Edited by jljcruise
  • Like 5

I have been wearing a mask when I fly and sometimes in the theatre when I hear someone coughing their heads off.  It sounds like they should be in their cabins or wearing a mask.  I have also gotten up and moved my seat when someone was coughing real bad sitting beside me.  So far this plan has worked well for me and I have stayed safe.

• Like 3

no masks required but they can be recommended at times - at least, on some cruises.  they are not mandatory.  I always take a few with me.  I usually don’t need them but I prefer to be prepared “in case”.

I still use them on occasion when it is called for and they are required in our hospital here and other health spots during the winter months due to covid, flu and RSV.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies and input.  I agree that my  friend's travel agent should know the current HAL protocols.  However, I did look on HAL's website under frequently asked questions, masking guidelines, and it does state masks are required during Embarkation and Debarkation, on tenders and Holland America excursions and recommended masks be worn in the World Stage, etc.  HAL should update their website in this regard.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Thanks for your replies and input.  I agree that my  friend's travel agent should know the current HAL protocols.  However, I did look on HAL's website under frequently asked questions, masking guidelines, and it does state masks are required during Embarkation and Debarkation, on tenders and Holland America excursions and recommended masks be worn in the World Stage, etc.  HAL should update their website in this regard.  

Yes, their website does need to be updated...in several areas.

Masking was not required for anything including embarkation, disembarkation, tendering, excursions, World Stage or elsewhere on the cruises I was on Oct-Jan out of Rome, FLL and San Diego (NS & K'dam). I saw several passengers and Crew wearing them.

And also saw both using the hand washing stations - yay!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Difficult to believe with all the conflicting information that HAL has only recently updated its website, isn't it?  This is what you need to know:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.15.00 PM.png