Vendors in Costa Maya

beshears

It has been over 20 years since I have been to Costa Maya. I am not looking for magnets or T-shirts, but something the vendors might make that is THEIR products or what they make in Costa Maya? If so, is there a certain area once we get off the ship I look for them?

Lots of small shops in the port. All down the malecon in Mahahual are kiosks in front of beach clubs and vendors selling everything walking up and down the loungers on the beach. Can't opine if they are made by local craftsmen or not, but most looked the same to me, just eyeballing.

Will say that the port area has gotten larger over the years and not in a good way, IMO. To me malecon looks really run down even compared to a year ago when places were trying to recover from the pandemic.  Was very disappointed, as this used to be one of my favorite ports.

Here's a map.  I took this tour in Costa Maya, and this came with it.   Cruise ship is on the lower-right, beaches are all on the left half, and the vendors are mostly right behind the beaches.  All the black, in the lower-right corner--that's the cruise ship pier.   You walk up, just past the black--that's where independent operators rent out golf carts.  I rented mine for $60 for the day; in peak periods they want $80.   It can seat 4.  

The vendors are all in the center of the map, right behind the beaches.  There is a "road" there (more like a big pedestrian walkway), where they all set up shop.  But there are also a few good vendors in the upper right center of the map, as you take that pink road winding over to the beaches (I find that the vendors who see the least amount of traffic tend to offer the best deals, and the ones on the pink road certainly see the least amount of traffic).

The exchange rate when I was there was 16:1 pesos/US dollar.  But if you do credit card, they raise it to 20:1--which means a good, solid markup of 25% for using your credit card.  On the road with the arrows on it, there's a BBVA bank which has an ATM and it seems fairly safe to use it, but they wanted 175 pesos for an ATM transaction fee--i.e. over $10 transaction fee.  Costa Maya can really gouge you at times.  I am much happier shopping in Cozumel over Costa Maya, but like the OP said, if somebody is selling something local and specific to Costa Maya, then that makes sense.   I don't remember anything that particularly fit that category, though.

costa_maya.jpg

2 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Here's a map.  I took this tour in Costa Maya, and this came with it.   Cruise ship is on the lower-right, beaches are all on the left half, and the vendors are mostly right behind the beaches.  All the black, in the lower-right corner--that's the cruise ship pier.   You walk up, just past the black--that's where independent operators rent out golf carts.  I rented mine for $60 for the day; in peak periods they want $80.   It can seat 4.  

The vendors are all in the center of the map, right behind the beaches.  There is a "road" there (more like a big pedestrian walkway), where they all set up shop.  But there are also a few good vendors in the upper right center of the map, as you take that pink road winding over to the beaches (I find that the vendors who see the least amount of traffic tend to offer the best deals, and the ones on the pink road certainly see the least amount of traffic).

The exchange rate when I was there was 16:1 pesos/US dollar.  But if you do credit card, they raise it to 20:1--which means a good, solid markup of 25% for using your credit card.  On the road with the arrows on it, there's a BBVA bank which has an ATM and it seems fairly safe to use it, but they wanted 175 pesos for an ATM transaction fee--i.e. over $10 transaction fee.  Costa Maya can really gouge you at times.  I am much happier shopping in Cozumel over Costa Maya, but like the OP said, if somebody is selling something local and specific to Costa Maya, then that makes sense.   I don't remember anything that particularly fit that category, though.

costa_maya.jpg

I agree Costa Maya has become very greedy with pricing.

Interesting map, although I have never understood the fascination of renting a cart at Costa Maya unless just for the excitement/experience of driving a cart since there isn’t really anything to drive to and see other than perhaps photo op by the lighthouse and sign.  Easy enough to take a cab and walk the malecon  to bar hop ( or at least it used to be before they all started trying to charge AI to keep you captive for the day!) Since you have to drive the road behind the malecon and keep parking it always seem a hassle unless I am missing something? 

I am glad to see El Faro has been removed but have never heard of Barbanegra, did you give it a try? Of those listed we have been to Krazy Lobster, Playa Lunas and Sulumar. How was Chunky Monkey and Macho’s - they have been on my to-do list? 

Renting the cart comes with free admission to all the beaches they are working together with.  And at Krazy Lobster, it comes with a free margarita.  For a group of 4, it totally makes sense to rent one.   Parking wasn't really an issue at any of the beaches--you just park in a Mexican parqueo (a.k.a. that patch of dirt over there).  And there are a couple stops on that pink road that you normally would not go to unless you got a cart.  Including $2 cervezas.

I think I remember Barbanegra as El Capitan, and it wasn't so much a beach as it was a restaurant that happened to be by the beach. And since we were coming off a cruise ship, we didn't find sampling local restaurants a priority.

Chunky Monkey I remember as being quieter, because it is off to the side and away from the vendors, and also as far as you can drive your golf cart without going out of range.  Krazy Lobster is like the first beach you will pass.  Chunky Monkey is the last.  Their problem was, you have to walk about 40 yards away from the beach and into/near their restaurant in order to pick up any respectable Wifi signal.  And since I'm coming off a ship with no internet plan, I kind of want that Wifi.  Other beaches had good Wifi that was right on the beach.  Krazy Lobster's was good, but they were also very busy (including--especially--their Wifi.  As in, you couldn't connect).   People may talk & stuff about wanting to disconnect on their vacation, but I happened to find lounging on a beach chair with Wifi a perfect fit.

Edited by tetleytea
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

Renting the cart comes with free admission to all the beaches they are working together with.  And at Krazy Lobster, it comes with a free margarita.  For a group of 4, it totally makes sense to rent one.   Parking wasn't really an issue at any of the beaches--you just park in a Mexican parqueo (a.k.a. that patch of dirt over there).  And there are a couple stops on that pink road that you normally would not go to unless you got a cart.  Including $2 cervezas.

I think I remember Barbanegra as El Capitan, and it wasn't so much a beach as it was a restaurant that happened to be by the beach. And since we were coming off a cruise ship, we didn't find sampling local restaurants a priority.

Chunky Monkey I remember as being quieter, because it is off to the side and away from the vendors, and also as far as you can drive your golf cart without going out of range.  Krazy Lobster is like the first beach you will pass.  Chunky Monkey is the last.  Their problem was, you have to walk about 40 yards away from the beach and into/near their restaurant in order to pick up any respectable Wifi signal.  And since I'm coming off a ship with no internet plan, I kind of want that Wifi.  Other beaches had good Wifi that was right on the beach.  Krazy Lobster's was good, but they were also very busy (including--especially--their Wifi.  As in, you couldn't connect).   People may talk & stuff about wanting to disconnect on their vacation, but I happened to find lounging on a beach chair with Wifi a perfect fit.

Thanks! 

Everyone gets a free margarita at Krazy Lobster so no benefit there. I understand there may be some “fun” factor associated with a golf cart but really the only convenience seems to be the stops on the pink road certainly isn’t cheaper than a taxi (which is overpriced in itself now). I don’t think any of the locations on that map have an “entrance fee” but I am sure you probably got a welcome drink at each which might not be standard at all of them. 

I think if I ever did rent one I might venture into Nuevo Mahahual just to have a look round and try and find the old coastal path.

I have never noticed Barbanegra but seems to be next to Pez Quadro and gets reasonable reviews so may be one to try. I will definitely give Chunky Monkey a try. We use our cell phone service in Mexico so internet isn’t usually a problem and agree it is often difficult to connect on the malecon otherwise. 

I noticed that mileage may vary.   Sometimes they want $80 for the carts, but we got it for $60.  It seems who charges admission, who gives free stuff, etc. can vary depending on high season.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 1:23 PM, c-leg5 said:

Thanks! 

Everyone gets a free margarita at Krazy Lobster so no benefit there. I understand there may be some “fun” factor associated with a golf cart but really the only convenience seems to be the stops on the pink road certainly isn’t cheaper than a taxi (which is overpriced in itself now). I don’t think any of the locations on that map have an “entrance fee” but I am sure you probably got a welcome drink at each which might not be standard at all of them. 

I think if I ever did rent one I might venture into Nuevo Mahahual just to have a look round and try and find the old coastal path.

I have never noticed Barbanegra but seems to be next to Pez Quadro and gets reasonable reviews so may be one to try. I will definitely give Chunky Monkey a try. We use our cell phone service in Mexico so internet isn’t usually a problem and agree it is often difficult to connect on the malecon otherwise. 

What is Nuevo Mahahaul?( I know what it means, just where and what is it?)

where would I turn off the main drag to the beach to find it?

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, forgotmyCCname said:

What is Nuevo Mahahaul?( I know what it means, just where and what is it?)

where would I turn off the main drag to the beach to find it?

Thank you!!

Nuevo Mahahual is the name of the little town right outside the cruise port. Used to be Las Casitas. Consists of a main drag that you take to get to the highway and the Malecon in Mahahaul. A few restaurants/bars, a hotel and shop fronts for excursion vendors.  The rest of the town is a scattering of residential housing.

59 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Nuevo Mahahual is the name of the little town right outside the cruise port. Used to be Las Casitas. Consists of a main drag that you take to get to the highway and the Malecon in Mahahaul. A few restaurants/bars, a hotel and shop fronts for excursion vendors.  The rest of the town is a scattering of residential housing.

Thanks Crew I thought I had read it was the urban area outside the port but I just took a look and couldn’t find it actually called that any more on the map. I knew you had always called it Las Casitas and that might be more accurate for the area I was meaning. 

I am not sure if you can actually get to the coast or not that way or if you have to go all the way to the lighthouse and turn left instead of right along the malecon? 

However I did find a couple of interesting articles which indicate there are plans for future development “eventually”.

https://nuvistarealestate.com/property/nuevo-mahahual-waterpark-frontage/

https://www.earthvagabonds.com/the-neighborhoods-of-mahahual-mexico-a-beautiful-beach-community/

Edited by c-leg5

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks Crew I thought I had read it was the urban area outside the port but I just took a look and couldn’t find it actually called that any more on the map. I knew you had always called it Las Casitas and that might be more accurate for the area I was meaning. 

I am not sure if you can actually get to the coast or not that way or if you have to go all the way to the lighthouse and turn left instead of right along the malecon? 

However I did find a couple of interesting articles which indicate there are plans for future development “eventually”.

https://nuvistarealestate.com/property/nuevo-mahahual-waterpark-frontage/

https://www.earthvagabonds.com/the-neighborhoods-of-mahahual-mexico-a-beautiful-beach-community/

Thank you!

Left at the lighthouse the road is blocked after a bit-

last time there was a blockade and not much beyond it.

We haven't been there in 2 years so we shall see if we can venture further!

we like to go past all the bars and shops all the way until the road turns to sand; explore a little and then return for some ceviche!

19 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Thank you!

we like to go past all the bars and shops all the way until the road turns to sand; explore a little and then return for some ceviche!

That's then malecon in Mahahual, not Nuevo Mahahual.

@c-leg5 our taxi driver in January took a "shortcut" along a pot hole street that ran adjacent to the main drag out of port.  We did pass a spot where it looked like you might be able to climb down to the beach, but it was overgrown and I would trust it to get all the way down and be able to walk to the lighthouse.  From the pier, that whole route didn't look inviting.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Thank you!

Before the major hurricane many people walked the  coastal route directly from the port. After the port was rebuilt the access was blocked. It has been a while but I have heard some people try to walk back that way. They get quite a way but cannot get into the port and requires a serious detour.

I highly doubt I would ever rent a golf cart but if I did the Casitas seems like one of the few areas to explore out of curiosity. Incidentally I see the “55” neighborhood, mentioned in one of my links, marked on the above golf cart map. A golf cart might be useful exercise if you were scouting for property.

There seem to be a few new locations on the unmade highway out of town going south but unfortunately they seem to come and go over the years and the golf cart rentals don’t seem to allow you to go very far anymore.