How long a layover at JFK is needed to change planes Orlando to Athens Greece

birdiebill

We will be flying international business class from Orlando to Athens this fall.  Plane change as booked is at JFK and is 2 hours 16 minutes.  Airline is Delta.  We have never flown international so don't know how long or where we go through customs--Orlando or JFK.  What is a safe layover to change and to do whatever we have to do.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, birdiebill said:

We will be flying international business class from Orlando to Athens this fall.  Plane change as booked is at JFK and is 2 hours 16 minutes.  Airline is Delta.  We have never flown international so don't know how long or where we go through customs--Orlando or JFK.  What is a safe layover to change and to do whatever we have to do.  Thanks.

There are no customs leaving the US. No security at JFK when arriving from US airport. 2 hrs is more than enough. The connection at JFK is just like a normal US connection but you may have to change terminals at JFK but the skytrain is good. If changing terminals you MAY have to go through security again but it depends on the terminals. Enjoy Athens our favorite city!

8 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

2 plus hours is fine departing the US. How long is your layover returning to the US?

Going to Europe, if your flight is non-stop JFK-ATH, you will go through Immigration (called Passport check in Europe) and Customs in Athens. Customs is simple, Passport check can take time.

Coming home, you will go through Immigration and Customs the first place you touch US soil, in this case, JFK. You will need to claim your luggage and re-check it after clearing Customs.

I meant security when I wrote customs.  But thank you for your replies;  makes us feel better that the plane change is just like changing planes for flights within the US.  We are at terminal B for both flights.

10 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

I meant security when I wrote customs.  But thank you for your replies;  makes us feel better that the plane change is just like changing planes for flights within the US.  We are at terminal B for both flights.

if you are in Terminal B for both it is just walking to the other gate. They may check your passport or have to show it when you board - that is about it.  While in Athens eat at O Thanasis our favorite restaurant!

3 hours ago, birdiebill said:

We are at terminal B for both flights.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

There is no terminal B at JFK.

Indeed: I suspect that whatever the OP saw saying "Terminal B" refers to their departure from Orlando, not to JFK.