Late Boarding Time

DDeeBee75

51 minutes ago, david63 said:

One thing that would alleviate most of the problems would be a "waiting area" prior to the terminal where passengers who arrive before their time could sit in comfort out of the elements until their allotted time.

There is a huge waiting area prior to the terminal with hundreds of places where passengers can sit in comfort out of the elements.  It's called Southampton.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

There is a huge waiting area prior to the terminal with hundreds of places where passengers can sit in comfort out of the elements.  It's called Southampton.

That's a bit like saying that if departing from Heathrow you can wait in Staines

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

That's a bit like saying that if departing from Heathrow you can wait in Staines

Where is the 'waiting area prior to the terminal at Heathrow'?  I don't recall any before check-in / security.  So, if a passenger arrives very early (perhaps the evening before), they wait in their hotel or locally (perhaps even in Staines) until check-in opens for their flight.

2 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

until check-in opens for their flight.

And that is the crucial bit. With an airline you can turn up any time once the check-in opens (and obviously before it closes) not at an arbitrary designated time.

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That all sounds reasonably sensible when quoted in total isolation of how much better other cruise lines manage embarkation at Southampton.

There is arrival time guidance giveen by RCI, Celebrity and MSC, but it is never policed and whatever time you arrive you are allowed into the terminal, and because they process check in light years faster than P&O you are on board far faster.

Princess also manages check in far better than P&O, and they have the disadvantage of having to use the Carnival terminals which have  security last instead of first as City and Horizon do.

It’s not a case of better, it’s a case of different. P&O/Cunard offer early check in as a perk otherwise it’s a case of allocated time.

In Europe, terminal design generally follows airports. Checkin first then security. I know it’s different in the US.

The two which have security first are the newest one, and one that was retrofitted that way. They sometimes queue out the door to get into security. That’s also common in the US.

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

And that is the crucial bit. With an airline you can turn up any time once the check-in opens (and obviously before it closes) not at an arbitrary designated time.

With P&O, you a given a time that boarding begins for you. Irrespective of anybody else, this is the time that you can check-in and board.

If you arrive an hour early, boarding is not open for you. Please go back into Southampton or join this arbitrary queue until your boarding window opens.

This is exactly the same as when BA prints boarding group 6 on your boarding pass or app. Just because groups 1-3 are boarding along with priority passengers, doesn’t mean that you can board because your preference is not to wait.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

This is exactly the same as when BA prints boarding group 6 on your boarding pass or app. Just because groups 1-3 are boarding along with priority passengers, doesn’t mean that you can board because your preference is not to wait.

Very true however you are accommodated in a dry terminal, not outside in the cold.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Agreed - but the point is that you have checked in and can wait inside the terminal building - usually after having gone through security.

Airports have the same issue as cruise terminals with security being a pinch point

10 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

With P&O, you a given a time that boarding begins for you. Irrespective of anybody else, this is the time that you can check-in and board.

If you arrive an hour early, boarding is not open for you. Please go back into Southampton or join this arbitrary queue until your boarding window opens.

Exactly.  The difference between P&O and an airline is that for the former check-in and boarding are, to all intents and purposes, one process.  For a flight, these are 2 separate processes.

So, if you are on a cruise that departs at 5pm with an allocated check-in time for you of 2pm and you arrive around that time, you should be checked in and boarded fairly smoothly and quickly.  If you turn up at the terminal at 11am, you will wait outside the terminal until check-in opens for you.

If you are on a flight that departs at 5pm with check-in opening at 2pm, you will go through two discrete processes.  As @molecrochip says, you can get priority for the second process.  (And on P&O you can get priority for both).  But, if you turn up to check-in at 11am, you will wait outside the terminal until check-in opens.

3 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

If you are on a flight that departs at 5pm with check-in opening at 2pm, you will go through two discrete processes.  As @molecrochip says, you can get priority for the second process.

If on a flight you have priority boarding then you will almost certainly have had priority check-in (first class, business class, high level loyalty)

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Maybe, but with parking charges, poor security for cars full of luggage, and mean traffic wardens.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

It’s not a case of better, it’s a case of different. P&O/Cunard offer early check in as a perk otherwise it’s a case of allocated time.

In Europe, terminal design generally follows airports. Checkin first then security. I know it’s different in the US.

The two which have security first are the newest one, and one that was retrofitted that way. They sometimes queue out the door to get into security. That’s also common in the US.

When the queue does threaten to go out of the door, their customer service demands that they get their finger out and ensure things are speeded up, because they put the comfort of their customers as top priority.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

When the queue does threaten to go out of the door, their customer service demands that they get their finger out and ensure things are speeded up, because they put the comfort of their customers as top priority.

John the key words here are as you quite rightly point out “comfort of their customers”.

I sometimes think that cruise / holiday companies forget that customers are the reason they stay in business and not an inconvenience to be treated in any cavalier manner they feel like. People pay out a lot of money for a cruise.

When someone comes at the correct allocated time and is seriously delayed the attitude seems to be that’s just tough luck. I have been there and got stuck behind coach passengers who were given priority over customers like me arriving exactly on time.

While those who come far too early have only themselves to blame to a certain extent in some cases (not in others as discussed above) they should still be treated as a valued customer and in a reasonable manner. How many reports have we read of empty seats in the terminal and people stuck outside in the rain. Why treat customers like that when there is an alternative?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Why treat customers like that when there is an alternative?

And the alternative is what I have done and taken my wallet to somewhere where I feel that I am being treated as a valued customer. I have sailed almost exclusively with P&O for the last 25 years - my next three cruises are not with P&O for a number of reasons - this being one of them.

I suspect that the attitude is that as most cruises are sailing at almost, if not at, capacity then there is no need to consider the passengers as they keep coming - the problem with that attitude is that sooner or later it will backfire

Do we expect P&O to provide 5000 passengers with comfortable facilities if they all turn up at a similar time ? They try to keep to keep facilities acceptable by allocating staggered boarding times, very reasonable I believe.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Do we expect P&O to provide 5000 passengers with comfortable facilities if they all turn up at a similar time ? They try to keep to keep facilities acceptable by allocating staggered boarding times, very reasonable I believe.

That hypothesis is extremely unlikely surely but taking it forward then no, that’s not a fair expectation.

What is a fair expectation is using the comfortable facilities that are actually available to accommodate passengers in preference to leaving them outside in the cold and wet.

5000 passengers will never all come at one time. Some will have priority and embark early (unless of course they too are delayed boarding), some will come at the designated time like me, some come on coaches and a smaller number will arrive early.

Just to add @bobstheboy do you think it’s appropriate to leave people outside when there is adequate space in the terminal? Fare paying customers.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Add
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Just to add @bobstheboy do you think it’s appropriate to leave people outside when there is adequate space in the terminal? Fare paying customers.

This seems appropriate to me because (as stated above) those who turn up early are choosing to disregard their allocated time and should know that makes them liable to wait.  It would be even more appropriate if P&O added text to boarding passes underneath the allocated check-in / boarding time informing individuals that should they turn up earlier than that they will not be permitted access to the terminal until their check-in time.

Early-comers clog up the system for those who adhere to their check-in time.  And turning a blind eye to this unwillingness to comply with simple instructions might potentially become the thin end of the wedge.  If there is no penalty for individuals who ignore allocated check-in times because they think the rules do not apply them, some would feel they had carte blanche to ignore other simple instructions that they felt didn't apply to them, delaying departure from ports and inconveniencing everyone because they don't get back to the ship until 20 minutes after last boarding, smoking on balconies etc.  Should they be allowed to get away with that rule-breaking as well because they are fare-paying passengers?

Edited by cruising.mark.uk
  • Like 3

There is another aspect to this and that is with coach passengers. They are allocated a time irrespective of being on a coach so they arrive when the coach arrives but some of them will have had boarding times prior to the coach time and some will have arrival times later than the coach time, but none will have an arrival time of the coach.

If P&O did like other cruise lines do and allow you to choose your arrival time (on a first come basis) then 90% of the arrival issues could be avoided.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

This seems appropriate to me and would be even more appropriate if P&O added text to boarding passes underneath the allocated check-in / boarding time informing individuals that should they turn up earlier than that they will not be permitted access to the terminal until their check-in time.

Early-comers clog up the system for those who adhere to their check-in time.  And turning a blind eye to this unwillingness to comply with simple instructions might potentially become the thin end of the wedge.  If there is no penalty for individuals who ignore allocated check-in times because they think the rules do not apply them, some would feel they had carte blanche to ignore other simple instructions that they felt didn't apply to them, delaying departure from ports and inconveniencing everyone because they don't get back to the ship until 20 minutes after last boarding, smoking on balconies etc.  Should they be allowed to get away with that rule-breaking as well because they are fare-paying passengers?

Actually adding that to boarding cards is not a bad idea but they won’t add that to boarding passes as that would give written proof of their treatment of their sometimes disabled, elderly or vulnerable passengers.

So let’s look at this the other way round. Should they be liable to pay compensation when passengers who arrive at the correct time are seriously delayed? Surely this has to work both ways to be fair and not just in favour of the cruise line?

As to your second point it is irrelevant. The ship will leave on schedule regardless.

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Exactly.  The difference between P&O and an airline is that for the former check-in and boarding are, to all intents and purposes, one process.  For a flight, these are 2 separate processes.

So, if you are on a cruise that departs at 5pm with an allocated check-in time for you of 2pm and you arrive around that time, you should be checked in and boarded fairly smoothly and quickly.  If you turn up at the terminal at 11am, you will wait outside the terminal until check-in opens for you.

If you are on a flight that departs at 5pm with check-in opening at 2pm, you will go through two discrete processes.  As @molecrochip says, you can get priority for the second process.  (And on P&O you can get priority for both).  But, if you turn up to check-in at 11am, you will wait outside the terminal until check-in opens.

At Airports you can get priority for both process,  just fly first or business or have a gold card. It's the same with P&O pay for a suite or have high status..

It's like someone said earlier,  buy a basic economy ticket,  BA allocate you group 6 , so why think you should board with group 1.  However lots do and it causes chaos. Yes there's many "almost" valid excuses why anyone thinks they should be allowed to board earlier , at their leisure. 

But in the end things run more smoothly if everyone sticks to allocated time

23 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

This seems appropriate to me because (as stated above) those who turn up early are choosing to disregard their allocated time and should know that makes them liable to wait.  It would be even more appropriate if P&O added text to boarding passes underneath the allocated check-in / boarding time informing individuals that should they turn up earlier than that they will not be permitted access to the terminal until their check-in time.

Have you actually sailed from Southampton on any of the non Carnival cruise lines?

When you do, you might appreciate the major difference in customer service they provide, and understand why those of us who have sailed with, RCI, Celebrity, MSC and NCL would really like P&O to show their passengers the same courteous consideration.

In fact since Princess manage to provide a much slicker embarkation experience, despite having to use the substandard Carnival terminals, I struggle to understand why P&O don't learn from their US sibling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ardennais said:

The week after Selbourne’s departure from Mayflower, we were whizzed through as we had a 2.45 embarkation time. Probably the fastest check-in ever. 

That’s great Ardennais, I am really pleased for you. 

The issue is that not everyone has the same excellent experience, even if they arrive at exactly the allocated time.

44 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s great Ardennais, I am really pleased for you. 

The issue is that not everyone has the same excellent experience, even if they arrive at exactly the allocated time.

True, but we’ve always arrived close to the allocated time (well over 20 cruises from Southampton). Not quite Caribbean level on P&O as we’ve also sailed with several other lines. Selbourne’s experience was unfortunate, I agree. Our experience on the 4 cruises we’ve had since they stopped using the lettering system has actually been much quicker and sleeker. 

This time, we left our hotel at 11 and went to West Quay. My mother was with us, with her walker. The lift wasn’t working in M&S but using the mall lifts, we made it to the ladies section on the first floor. Then had a coffee and cake (or two) in the cafe.  In the past, we’ve been to Ikea, and the big Sainsbury’s/M&S. Also had a pre-stay in Lyndhurst a few times and had a lovely morning there. 

The point I’m making is that it’s perfectly possible to spend a few enjoyable hours in Southampton pre-embarkation. I just don’t get the angst about leaving luggage in the car, etc and the frenzy to be onboard as early as possible. And to be perfectly honest, I don’t think I’d be in a mad rush to embark even if we got to Caribbean level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

True, but we’ve always arrived close to the allocated time (well over 20 cruises from Southampton). Not quite Caribbean level on P&O as we’ve also sailed with several other lines. Selbourne’s experience was unfortunate, I agree. Our experience on the 4 cruises we’ve had since they stopped using the lettering system has actually been much quicker and sleeker. 

This time, we left our hotel at 11 and went to West Quay. My mother was with us, with her walker. The lift wasn’t working in M&S but using the mall lifts, we made it to the ladies section on the first floor. Then had a coffee and cake (or two) in the cafe.  In the past, we’ve been to Ikea, and the big Sainsbury’s/M&S. Also had a pre-stay in Lyndhurst a few times and had a lovely morning there. 

The point I’m making is that it’s perfectly possible to spend a few enjoyable hours in Southampton pre-embarkation. I just don’t get the angst about leaving luggage in the car, etc and the frenzy to be onboard as early as possible. And to be perfectly honest, I don’t think I’d be in a mad rush to embark even if we got to Caribbean level. 

You are preaching to the choir. I enjoy a few hours in Soton after dropping our car / luggage. We arrive at our allocated time.

I just find it unfair that passengers are punished for being early by being left out in the cold (literally). Meantime the cruise lines can delay embarkation by many hours with absolutely no consequences 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Have you actually sailed from Southampton on any of the non Carnival cruise lines?

When you do, you might appreciate the major difference in customer service they provide, and understand why those of us who have sailed with, RCI, Celebrity, MSC and NCL would really like P&O to show their passengers the same courteous consideration.

In fact since Princess manage to provide a much slicker embarkation experience, despite having to use the substandard Carnival terminals, I struggle to understand why P&O don't learn from their US sibling.

Yes, we've sailed RCI, Celebrity, MSC and Cunard out of Southampton as well as P&O.  For each, we've followed the cruise-line specific check-in / boarding instructions.  Doing that rather than doing what we'd like to do, irrespective of whether or not that complies with the instructions for the specific line on which we are travelling on the basis that other lines do it differently has, to date, always led to a fairly stress-free experience.  

While most on here probably only go through the process a few times per year and thus get only a snapshot of the experience, the cruise lines do it week in, week out.  I'm guessing they know what works best for them and for their passengers overall.  And, I'm sure they apply the procedures that work best for the majority of their passengers, even if that causes minor inconvenience for a minority that thinks the rules don't apply to them.

• Like 3