Santiago de Compostela

Sussexboy

Mrs Sussexboy and myself are on Arvia in May trolling down the coast of Spain. Our first port is A Coruña where we are looking to take the excursion to Santiago de Compostela. Has anybody done the guided tour excursion? If so, how much walking was there and how was the terrain? Mrs SB has both ankles fused after an early onset arthritis and her mobility is decreasing. She can manage several hours walking but steps and uneven ground or cobble stones are getting to be show stoppers for her unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

Mrs Sussexboy and myself are on Arvia in May trolling down the coast of Spain. Our first port is A Coruña where we are looking to take the excursion to Santiago de Compostela. Has anybody done the guided tour excursion? If so, how much walking was there and how was the terrain? Mrs SB has both ankles fused after an early onset arthritis and her mobility is decreasing. She can manage several hours walking but steps and uneven ground or cobble stones are getting to be show stoppers for her unfortunately.

Quite a long walk from the coach park and lots of cobbles and uneven areas. Still, some folk walk 600km to get there.🤔

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

We did the P&O tour but we did the ‘on your own’. I reckon it was a good 20 minutes from the coach park. The guide walked us into the main square and gave lots of information on the coach journey. Perhaps if you did the on your own tour you could rest when you want. We found a lovely park where we sat and had an ice cream. I walked back to the coach stop a couple of times to use the toilets as I knew where they were 😆

• Thanks 1

We took the guided excursion from Vigo last year, and I would have said that it was a 10 minute walk from the coach to the main square. There was a toilet stop on the way. After the tour of the cathedral, we decided not to do the walking tour with the guide. We told him of our intention and he told us to meet up at the Parador hotel for refreshments in about 45-60 minutes. The Parador is also in the main square, next to the cathedral. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sussexboy said:

Here are a couple of pics. You can see the paving, which is quite typical of the City. The second one is DW stumbling on the pavement in the little park.

IMG_20190522_133646.jpg

20221004_113041.jpg

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Once you are in Santiago

56 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We took the guided excursion from Vigo last year, and I would have said that it was a 10 minute walk from the coach to the main square. There was a toilet stop on the way. After the tour of the cathedral, we decided not to do the walking tour with the guide. We told him of our intention and he told us to meet up at the Parador hotel for refreshments in about 45-60 minutes. The Parador is also in the main square, next to the cathedral. 

We always go into the Parador for a nice cool place for refreshments and spotlessly clean toilets.

OP If you are facing the main entrance to the Catherdal it is on the left. You may also wish to know that in the Catherdral the crypt for St James is down some fairly steep narrow stairs but not too many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Once you are in Santiago

We always go into the Parador for a nice cool place for refreshments and spotlessly clean toilets.

OP If you are facing the main entrance to the Catherdal it is on the left. You may also wish to know that in the Catherdral the crypt for St James is down some fairly steep narrow stairs but not too many.

It is nice isn’t it! The refreshments were served in the courtyard and were plentiful. 

• Like 1

Did this trip last year from Vigo. Lashed with rain all day. Soaked to the skin! Spent half an hour in the cathedral and two hours sheltering in a couple of bars. Would have been nice in good weather though! 

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Did this trip last year from Vigo. Lashed with rain all day. Soaked to the skin! Spent half an hour in the cathedral and two hours sheltering in a couple of bars. Would have been nice in good weather though! 

They do call NW Spain, "Green Spain" and that is not without reason.  We once had a similar day in a little visited port along the same coast as Vigo, though it was Sept or October.  It was a good port though.  

You do need to be prepared for all weathers there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 2:17 PM, zap99 said:

Here are a couple of pics. You can see the paving, which is quite typical of the City. The second one is DW stumbling on the pavement in the little park.

IMG_20190522_133646.jpg

20221004_113041.jpg

I showed the pictures to the sainted Mrs SB and she declared the paving as manageable. So it looks like we have a go situation.

• Like 4

I hope you do,  it is a bit special, and the Parador is really charming  if you have the chance to go for a drink or snack there. Some cruise tours include a snack or lunch there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

I hope you do,  it is a bit special, and the Parador is really charming  if you have the chance to go for a drink or snack there. Some cruise tours include a snack or lunch there.

My first picture is facing the paradox in the main square.