Do Uber and/or Lyft work in Australia & New Zealand?

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We use Uber in Australia regularly, and have used it in Auckland. We haven't tried Lyft.

Likewise. Haven't used Lyft or Sheber, of  course I prefer to use F&F's as it is gratis.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Likewise. Haven't used Lyft or Sheber, of  course I prefer to use F&F's as it is gratis.

What is F&Fs?

We use Uber in lieu of taxis in Sydney and other Australian cities, including our home city of Canberra (where we usually share with friends if we are attending a function or restaurant where we would be enjoying a glass of wine).  We've also used them on the rare occasion we order a takeaway meal delivery.  No longer, as the last time we did that (fairly recently) we're pretty sure the delivery driver consumed half our order before ringing the doorbell.  I hadn't believed it when hearing similar tales, but now I do.

29 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We use Uber in lieu of taxis in Sydney and other Australian cities, including our home city of Canberra (where we usually share with friends if we are attending a function or restaurant where we would be enjoying a glass of wine).  We've also used them on the rare occasion we order a takeaway meal delivery.  No longer, as the last time we did that (fairly recently) we're pretty sure the delivery driver consumed half our order before ringing the doorbell.  I hadn't believed it when hearing similar tales, but now I do.

We gave up using UberEats when we ordered Japanese once. It was ready, due to be picked up, then changed back to waiting for pickup, then the driver delivered something else in the opposite direction to our place  the finally delivered ours - stone cold, and some of the things weren't suitable to reheat in the microwave. 

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

and some of the things weren't suitable to reheat in the microwave. 

Yep, especially food like the sushi and sashimi, they go terribly badly when microwaved.:classic_tongue:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, especially food like the sushi and sashimi, they go terribly badly when microwaved.:classic_tongue:

I was glad we hadn't ordered sushi or sashimi as it probably would have been packed in the same bag as the hot items and may not have been edible under those conditions after an hour. 

• Like 2

We used Lyft when in the States and found it to be as good if not better than Uber.

While in Australia, download the 13cabs app and when in need of a ride compare the two in case Uber is in surge mode. Taxi's do not have surge pricing.

The other  tip is NO TIPPING. Uber OR Taxis. Particularly if Uber is getting a surge price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

I think Ola are in India, UK, NZ & Australia. Pretty much just another version of Uber?

Ola has been in Aus for years. 
Also Didi. 

Many drivers work with multiple aps and take which ever jobs come thru first. Most prefer the alternatives to Uber as they make a better profit. Uber takes out bigger percentage in fees. 

My female friends drive for Ola & Didi during the day and Shebah at night. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, yarramar said:

We used Lyft when in the States and found it to be as good if not better than Uber.

While in Australia, download the 13cabs app and when in need of a ride compare the two in case Uber is in surge mode. Taxi's do not have surge pricing.

The other  tip is NO TIPPING. Uber OR Taxis. Particularly if Uber is getting a surge price.

Exactly. No way I would ever tip an Uber driver! They're a foreign company, set-up to under-cut the local taxis.. and then they want to put their hand out for extra to compensate for them charging less to beat the competition? Nah, screw them lol. 

On 1/23/2024 at 2:04 AM, yarramar said:

I much prefer Lyft...a company know for better integrity. Typically cheaper as well.

But when there is some crazy surge pricing I do open both. Sometimes close & reopen & cheaper rates, it's bizarre! (particularly in busy big cities)

But I do get $15/mo credit on Uber via American Express Platinum, so I do take advantage.

I will download 13cabs--thx so much!

18 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Thats good to know.

But here on Australia/New Zeland forum, folks usually care about companies that operate here.

Of course—food for thought if u r traveling in the states😉

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 4:07 AM, PerfectlyPerth said:

Ola has been in Aus for years. 
Also Didi. 

Many drivers work with multiple aps and take which ever jobs come thru first. Most prefer the alternatives to Uber as they make a better profit. Uber takes out bigger percentage in fees. 

My female friends drive for Ola & Didi during the day and Shebah at night. 

I can't seem to get DID to work while I am in the USA.  What is the typical cost for SYD international to Kent st

On 1/24/2024 at 12:35 PM, Over from NZ said:

Exactly. No way I would ever tip an Uber driver! They're a foreign company, set-up to under-cut the local taxis.. and then they want to put their hand out for extra to compensate for them charging less to beat the competition? Nah, screw them lol. 

The only person you're screwing is the driver, who is the most vulnerable person in the supply chain.  The company will get its money whether you tip or not.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

The only person you're screwing is the driver, who is the most vulnerable person in the supply chain.  The company will get its money whether you tip or not.

I'm not screwing anybody. The driver is technically a self-employed person.. who's only way of doing business is to cut his margins to undercut taxi businesses. If he's not making enough with what he's charging - screw him.. his business model is faulty. 

• Like 2