Alaska wardrobe - September

Making a packing plan for a very lightweight trip to Alaska in September. I’m cruising in September on NCL so this will be all casual, no real dressing up. I’m bringing carry on and personal item only which will have to fit my tent, down quilt, and sleeping pad. I’ve done a rough visual of my plans. I am loosing weight so by then most of my clothes will be new since everything is too big.

5-4-3-2-1 is the bases of this wardrobe, oops no 3 but Alaska needed more than 3 layers so it became 4. I will be hiking during my pre cruise and in most ports. I’ll hand wash during the cruise plus send laundry away once.

Tops (8.5 x 14 in).jpeg

I'd switch out the leggings for some Woolx things.  Get a pair of Stella leggings and a pair of the Ellie pants.  They can both go outdoors and out for dinner.  And, they don't stink up!!!  I took my Stellas on my Alaska trip last April (last week of) and wore them every day daytime.   As much as I like Tencel, I'm morphing my "travel" Tshirts to Woolx, too.  Good in hot weather, good in cold weather.  And, again, they don't stink!  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'd switch out the leggings for some Woolx things.  Get a pair of Stella leggings and a pair of the Ellie pants.  They can both go outdoors and out for dinner.  And, they don't stink up!!!  I took my Stellas on my Alaska trip last April (last week of) and wore them every day daytime.   As much as I like Tencel, I'm morphing my "travel" Tshirts to Woolx, too.  Good in hot weather, good in cold weather.  And, again, they don't stink!  

I have a severe wool allergy so no wool for me anymore. I’m actually allergic to all animal fibres even musk ox (qiviut). My allergy is respiratory and can’t be controlled with antihistamines. 

For people without a wool allergy I would completely agree even thought them standing near me and cause my allergy to flare up. 

Edited by SoloAlaska
  • Like 1

I would switch some leggings for silk long underwear.  It is incredibly warm when it needs to be but comfortable when it is just cool.  And packs very small.

I'm allergic to wool too and wore my silk long johns in Alaska, Iceland, and Norway under hiking pants.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dd57 said:

I would switch some leggings for silk long underwear.  It is incredibly warm when it needs to be but comfortable when it is just cool.  And packs very small.

I'm allergic to wool too and wore my silk long johns in Alaska, Iceland, and Norway under hiking pants.

Do you have any recommendations on brands? Adding that layer is a great idea. 

I got mine on Amazon.  They aren't a name brand and are probably from China.  But they are well made (I always read reviews and only buy something that at least 1000 people have bought) and have lasted thru many trips.  I wanted pure silk so that they would pack very small (carry on only!) and at the time didn't find anything thru normal sporting goods stores.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dd57 said:

I got mine on Amazon.  They aren't a name brand and are probably from China.  But they are well made (I always read reviews and only buy something that at least 1000 people have bought) and have lasted thru many trips.  I wanted pure silk so that they would pack very small (carry on only!) and at the time didn't find anything thru normal sporting goods stores.

Thanks I will definitely be ordering some. Since I am planning on hiking several days in a row I’ll leave my 2 pairs of hiking pants but will add the silk as a layer. Nights camping they will be perfect pjs too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Thanks I will definitely be ordering some. Since I am planning on hiking several days in a row I’ll leave my 2 pairs of hiking pants but will add the silk as a layer. Nights camping they will be perfect pjs too.

That's exactly what I did in the colder and very rainy ports...silk long underwear under rain pants.  The brand I bought then is WinterSilks...more expensive than some brands, but they last and last and last.  I still have the 2 original pairs of pants and tops I bought ten years ago and they're just as warm and don't show any signs of wear.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 9:14 PM, aungrl said:

That's exactly what I did in the colder and very rainy ports...silk long underwear under rain pants.  The brand I bought then is WinterSilks...more expensive than some brands, but they last and last and last.  I still have the 2 original pairs of pants and tops I bought ten years ago and they're just as warm and don't show any signs of wear.

LOVE WinterSilks!

Posted (edited)

I’ve used silk long johns for travel pjs for years & years. Wintersilks last forever!

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1