Supermarket or Drug Store near Riverside Hotel?

baggal

Is there a supermarket (Publix) or Drug store (Walgreen’s, Rite Aid, etc) within walking distance of the Riverside Hotel?  It’s our first time staying in this area and I’d like to be able to pick up some hair care, suntan lotion, etc instead of packing it. 

"walking distance" is relative.. There is a CVS several blocks away ( Northwest corner of Broward Boulevard and Federal Highway).. The shortest path there is along a very busy street.

54 minutes ago, baggal said:

Is there a supermarket (Publix) or Drug store (Walgreen’s, Rite Aid, etc) within walking distance of the Riverside Hotel?  It’s our first time staying in this area and I’d like to be able to pick up some hair care, suntan lotion, etc instead of packing it. 

Not sure what you have in mind as walking distance. There is a large CVS that is walkable but it is a few long blocks. I have walked there four or five times with no problem. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Not sure what you have in mind as walking distance. There is a large CVS that is walkable but it is a few long blocks. I have walked there four or five times with no problem. 

That's exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks. 

Thanks for bringing this up, we'll be staying at the Riverside for the time next fall and will need a local pharmacy. According to Google Maps, that CVS is a half mile 15 minute walk north from the Riverside. Question for the locals, is the Federal Highway walkable? Google Maps has me taking side streets to scoot around it, but Street View seems to show good sidewalks.

As to a grocery store, there's a Publix Greenwise about the same distance away from the Riverside, near the corner of Las Olas and SE 3rd. Don't know if they would have suntan lotion etc ;o)

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks for bringing this up, we'll be staying at the Riverside for the time next fall and will need a local pharmacy. According to Google Maps, that CVS is a half mile 15 minute walk north from the Riverside. Question for the locals, is the Federal Highway walkable? Google Maps has me taking side streets to scoot around it, but Street View seems to show good sidewalks.

As to a grocery store, there's a Publix Greenwise about the same distance away from the Riverside, near the corner of Las Olas and SE 3rd. Don't know if they would have suntan lotion etc ;o)

Federal Highway and Broward is one of the busiest intersections in Fort Lauderdale. I would be extremely careful on the west side of Federal between Broward and the tunnel. Crossing Federal at Broward isn't exactly a fun experience, either.

Once you reach the tunnel coming back from CVS, you can relax quite a bit.

CVS sells a limited selection of wines. You can always order delivery (or curbside pickup) from Total Beverage @ 17th Street or Walgreens.

The Publix south of the river is just that- south of the river. You would need to cross a bridge to get to it. The bridge at Andrews Avenue is probably the most pedestrian-friendly. My father's business predated the Publix in the same location., so I'm pretty familiar with the georgraphy.

32 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

Federal Highway and Broward is one of the busiest intersections in Fort Lauderdale. I would be extremely careful on the west side of Federal between Broward and the tunnel. Crossing Federal at Broward isn't exactly a fun experience, either.

I didn't find the west side of Federal to be bad but if instead you take 8th Ave, go out to the right on Las Olas then left on 8th you can avoid Federal until the intersection of Federal and Broward which is to the left on Broward. That intersection has traffic lights so I didn't find it that bad except waiting for the light.

1 hour ago, CCRUZER said:

How about a walkable  place near Riverside to buy my two bottles of wine pre cruise?

CVS has a wine selection. There was a small fancier wine store a few stores past CVS. Don't know if still in business.

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There are sidewalks but you have to go on the west side. I have a feeling some went on the east side.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale and was on Federal at Broward at least 4 days a week, and twice on Sundays (the intersection was on our way to church) ;). My mother still lives in the area. I am pretty familiar with every crack in the sidewalks in that area. We regularly bought bagels from a bakery near CVS. 

47 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale and was on Federal at Broward at least 4 days a week, and twice on Sundays (the intersection was on our way to church) ;). My mother still lives in the area. I am pretty familiar with every crack in the sidewalks in that area. We regularly bought bagels from a bakery near CVS. 

I didn’t find it to be a challenge. 

1 hour ago, FOPMan said:

Maybe you were there when the tunnel was closed to vehicle traffic.

The tunnel goes under Los Olas. There are streets alongside on each side. I walked up the street on the west side on the sidewalk. The tunnel does come up and merge with the street close to Broward but the sidewalk continues. You get to that huge intersection at Federal and Broward and cross with the lights. 

We crossed the intersection of Federal and Broward from the east side just last Saturday evening before dark.  I add before dark because I wouldn't want to cross that large an intersection at night because I don't trust south Florida drivers to be paying full time and attention in the dark.  In daylight the only issue was waiting a couple of minutes for the light.  There were plenty of others waiting for the lights to change too.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

We crossed the intersection of Federal and Broward from the east side just last Saturday evening before dark.  I add before dark because I wouldn't want to cross that large an intersection at night because I don't trust south Florida drivers to be paying full time and attention in the dark.  In daylight the only issue was waiting a couple of minutes for the light.  There were plenty of others waiting for the lights to change too.

The tunnel was closed last week for repair. It created a bunch of issues for locals as traffic was redirected to 3rd Avenue.The tunnel closing is a very unusual circumstance, but they've been doing quite a bit of work on it over the last little bit.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/miami/news/federal-highway-at-kinney-tunnel-closed-for-next-four-days/

15 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Once you reach the tunnel coming back from CVS, you can relax quite a bit.

CVS sells a limited selection of wines. You can always order delivery (or curbside pickup) from Total Beverage @ 17th Street or Walgreens.

The Publix south of the river is just that- south of the river. You would need to cross a bridge to get to it. The bridge at Andrews Avenue is probably the most pedestrian-friendly. My father's business predated the Publix in the same location., so I'm pretty familiar with the georgraphy.

Thanks...since we'll be going to the 17th street area to eat at Kelly's Landing (always a must when we go to FLL) I'll give Total Beverage a try.

24 minutes ago, CCRUZER said:

Thanks...since we'll be going to the 17th street area to eat at Kelly's Landing (always a must when we go to FLL) I'll give Total Beverage a try.

It is Total Wine not Total Beverage. Total Wine is a national superstore chain and you can find good wine at discount prices. There is also a Publix at 17th St. The stores are in a shopping center behind the Embassy Suites.