Princess approved shops in ports

joetop2467

I remember reading here that at some stores in certain ports, you may pay using your medallion.  If I have non-refundable OBC, will the cost of what I buy use this OBC first and then be charged to my credit card?  I have non-refundable OBC that has been credited back to me after I canceled a shore excursion. 
We have purchased all of our shore excursions and have gratuities and wifi included. I’d like somewhere else to spend this credit rather than being limited to onboard shops. 

I don't know the exact answer. But, I would think that any shoreside purchase using medallion pay would go directly through to the credit card on file with Princess. If the purchase went against your onboard account's OBC then Princess would actually have to pay the vendor for your purchase. That does not sound like something Princess would do. From what I read there is a small percentage of OBC added to your onboard account for each purchase.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

There is a post somewhere from a shop owner begging and pleading people to not use the Medallion while in port due to the service fee.

I believe that request came from an independent Alaskan shop owner.

I used my medallion in San Juan last November thinking it would come from our OBC. I was thrilled because we had a lot and the shirt I was buying would then be "free". Nope, charged the credit card directly that I had on file with Princess. Might as well have just used the card outright! Not sure what the big deal is with using your medallion to shop on land. 

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

There is a post somewhere from a shop owner begging and pleading people to not use the Medallion while in port due to the service fee.

I am surprised as the merchants opt in for this. If the fees are high they can not sing up for the program. Very few shops are included in the Caribbean.

I *think (just my opinion) that most of the shops have now figured out that it's not the "deal" they were originally presented with by Princess.  Yes, there are participation fees for the merchants but they probably were told that they would "make it up" with the "high volume of sales" that they could expect by joining the program.  Hmmmm...nope!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joetop2467 said:

I remember reading here that at some stores in certain ports, you may pay using your medallion.  If I have non-refundable OBC, will the cost of what I buy use this OBC first and then be charged to my credit card?  I have non-refundable OBC that has been credited back to me after I canceled a shore excursion. 
We have purchased all of our shore excursions and have gratuities and wifi included. I’d like somewhere else to spend this credit rather than being limited to onboard shops. 

No, OBC can't be used for shoreside purchases in ports.