Uber or Train To/From Sydney Airport?

We'll be arriving in Sydney at the International Terminal around 7 AM on a Saturday.  After however long it takes to get through Customs we'll be heading up to the Tank Stream Hotel in the Central Business District.  Will the train be a better option than Uber?  (I assume it's not going to be crowded on a Saturday morning.)  It looks like we'll have a 3 or 4 block walk to the hotel from the train station, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Likewise, for departing.  Our Flight back home is at 11 AM on a Thursday, since I'm anal about always getting to the airport plenty early I imagine we'll be leaving the hotel around 7 AM or so.  Same question, will the train to the Airport from Central Business District be crowded (we'll have backpacks and suitcases so fighting through a crowd with all of that could be tough)?

55 minutes ago, groundloop said:

We'll be arriving in Sydney at the International Terminal around 7 AM on a Saturday.  After however long it takes to get through Customs we'll be heading up to the Tank Stream Hotel in the Central Business District.  Will the train be a better option than Uber?  (I assume it's not going to be crowded on a Saturday morning.)  It looks like we'll have a 3 or 4 block walk to the hotel from the train station, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Likewise, for departing.  Our Flight back home is at 11 AM on a Thursday, since I'm anal about always getting to the airport plenty early I imagine we'll be leaving the hotel around 7 AM or so.  Same question, will the train to the Airport from Central Business District be crowded (we'll have backpacks and suitcases so fighting through a crowd with all of that could be tough)?

You will not have any crowds. Likely the most crowded spot will be on the platform at the airport ready to alight the train, but there are 8 cars/16 doors on each train and it really is easy to access them. The trains are "double decker" with most seats accessed by a small flight of stairs up or down, but there is room at the end of each car for those with luggage & prams etc. If you are lucky, there will be a cruise ship at the passenger terminal as you pass Circular Quay station - an awesome view. If you want to get off there, it is a doable walk up Pitt St.

It is an easier walk to/from from Wynyard station. Take the George St exit out of the station, and you only have not much more than 100 metres to walk down Hunter Street, then just around the corner into Pitt St. You have chosen a good location with the Tank Stream.

The CBD will definitely be quiet on a Saturday morning. At 7am on a weekday, it isn't going to be very busy either. Vehicle & foot traffic will start to ramp up a bit before 8. 

Train is pretty stress free but your closest station is Wynyard .Its underground and could be a bit confusing for a first time visitor.

I would go for a Uber ,it’s going to be off peak Saturday morning and you are going to be tired after that killer flight. The train is going to cost about $20 each,Uber about $60

The train goes directly from the airport to the CBD.  It can be a bit of a challenge at rush hour, but you won't have that issue on a Saturday.  Catching the train can actually be easier than finding a taxi or Uber at the airport.  I go to Sydney a lot for entertainment, cruises, and flights.  I rarely take a taxi or Uber.  I hope you enjoy your visit to Sydney.

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Train is pretty stress free but your closest station is Wynyard .Its underground and could be a bit confusing for a first time visitor.

Follow the signage from within the bowels of Wynyard - Exit 2, George Street, Light Rail.

I used to hate those old wooden escalators, but they have now made a feature out of them.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Follow the signage from within the bowels of Wynyard - Exit 2, George Street, Light Rail.

I used to hate those old wooden escalators, but they have now made a feature out of them.

Wooden escalators,didn’t the ark have those 

On 1/27/2024 at 1:49 PM, Chiliburn said:

Yes , agree 

Im a local and I get lost in the tunnels,Let alone a visitor with jet lag .

Heaps better signage since the upgrade. Just don't go looking for platform #1 or #2 and you will be fine.

I would go for Uber, the price difference is tiny if there are 2 people and much cheaper with more. (You would not be eligible for any concession or pensioner fares unless you are Australian ) 

IMG_2264.thumb.png.4c8a4e9ced41adcbb3b630fb93094ae0.pngIMG_2263.thumb.png.299ab5d5a4c1d1f7937dd58f7398c60e.png