Wining and dining on the oh so gorgeous Grandeur!

mrstanley:  

I have commented on chair hogs before on a Post posted long, long ago.  Well, maybe five years ago.  From the perspective of witnessing this boorish behavior; followed by the intended, or unintended consequences when a guest has removed such "contraband" from a hogger's lounge chair. 

Bad outcome for everyone. 

The chair hogger and the guest who removed the hat, book, or whatever--got into first, shoving back and forth; followed by punches and kicks, which landed.  Staff did intervene to break it up when both guys were on the deck--still screaming and punching each other.  And, of course, at that point, their respective spouses were also yelling.  A ship's Officer (Voyager, as I recall) arrived on scene.  Both combatants were ordered back to their Suites. 

Another guest and I advised the Officer what we had observed.  We were asked to write down what we saw and provide him with the info.  Which I did.  

Later the afternoon--comes the Captain via a general announcement over the ship's Intercom asking guests who observed "a situation" at the Pool Grill/pool area earlier that afternoon to report same to him, personally, or to a ship's Officer.  The Captain also advised the individuals involved had been restricted to their respective suites. 

Comes the Morn:  A Captain's message in "Passages" advising the individuals involved in that "situation" would remain in their suites until arrival at the next Port with an airport.  At which time they would be offloaded.  Also, they would not be allowed to book a future passage on any Regent ship.  

I would bet this prohibition had (has) been extended to any NCL ship.  

Just a cautionary tale.  Now----

back to our regularly scheduled program

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
context

On our Splendor TA this past April, there was a table by the pool bar with a sign indicating that any items left on a lounger longer than (? Can’t remember the exact time) would be collected by crew and brought back to this table for pickup. Loved sitting at the pool bar and watching these selfish miscreants shuffle back to the table and pick up their “I can leave this on the lounger for however long I wish” items. Think I may have cheered one or two of them as they did so. People with a feeling of entitlement just burns my butt. Hope there are no issues on our July Grandeur cruise. 

mrstanley:  

I have commented on chair hogs before on a Post posted long, long ago.  Well, maybe five years ago.  From the perspective of witnessing this boorish behavior; followed by the intended, or unintended consequences when a guest has removed such "contraband" from a hogger's lounge chair. 

Bad outcome for everyone. 

The chair hogger and the guest who removed the hat, book, or whatever--got into first, shoving back and forth; followed by punches and kicks, which landed.  Staff did intervene to break it up when both guys were on the deck--still screaming and punching each other.  And, of course, at that point, their respective spouses were also yelling.  A ship's Officer (Voyager, as I recall) arrived on scene.  Both combatants were ordered back to their Suites. 

Another guest and I advised the Officer what we had observed.  We were asked to write down what we saw and provide him with the info.  Which I did.  

Later the afternoon--comes the Captain via a general announcement over the ship's Intercom asking guests who observed "a situation" at the Pool Grill/pool area earlier that afternoon to report same to him, personally, or to a ship's Officer.  The Captain also advised the individuals involved had been restricted to their respective suites. 

Comes the Morn:  A Captain's message in "Passages" advising the individuals involved in that "situation" would remain in their suites until arrival at the next Port with an airport.  At which time they would be offloaded.  Also, they would not be allowed to book a future passage on any Regent ship.  

I would bet this prohibition had (has) been extended to any NCL ship.  

Just a cautionary tale.  

GOARMY!

mrstanley and Gilpon, and whomever.   

For whatever reason, today's original Post--by me--was reposted, again.  

Whatever.  

Gipilon:  Specifically recall a 2014 Voyager cruise--Sydney, via Indonesia to Singapore; then Malaysia, and beyond. There WAS that "Table of Shame" established adjacent to the Pool Bar. Such was announced in "Passages" about three days into the cruise.  No-doubt resulting from guests' concerns as to Chair Hogs. 

The "Reunification Table."  And, this series of cruise segments was certainly in hot, and humid locations. In typical corporate fashion, referred to, rather euphemistically, as a spot to facilitate "reuniting"  lost "orphan" stuff such as books, hats, glasses, or other detritus with their parents.  How fitting.  

What a hoot when, on occasion, observing these heartfelt reunifications--from a safe distance.  

Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis  had it best when opining that: 

"Sunlight is said to be the best disinfectant."  Context way-back in 1913 regarded advocating free expression of opinion to expose bogus (and potentially dangerous) utterances.  

Public Shaming in the sunlight of tropical cruise segments concerning our current and certainly First World situations remains the best disinfectant to boorish behavior.  

I do not know what entity removed said items from Lounge Chairs to the shaming table.  Crew?  Guests?  Sea gulls? 

Bottom Line:  It worked.  Maybe just a one-off.  Corporate liability concerns as to yet another law suit may preclude any Crew member, or Officer not having at-least three stripes from touching anyone, or anything during a cruise.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Clarification.

Gilpon:  

In light of your Post--perhaps a One-Off may have become a Two-Off as to Crew, at whatever level, touching guest stuff to remove same detritus to a Table of Shame.   

Hopefully, many more "offs" in the offing.  

Guests must continue prodding Management to designate that Table of Shame. 

GOARMY!

11 hours ago, boblerm said:

I did a review of the cruise on the Cruise Critic Review section which can be found here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=712368

Bob, just read your review and I think you are spot on. We had a wonderful trip, didn’t we? I hope to sail with you and Jeannie again!

11 hours ago, mrstanley said:

GOArmy:

I remember that incident.

Management needs to resolve this issue.

A pool deck supervisor!!

The worst approach is leaving this up to the passengers to duke it out. Unless we had an absolute anomaly when we were on board, which I don’t think we did, the Grandeur crew has to implement a solution. I think the suggestion of a Pool Deck Supervisor is the best idea I’ve heard yet.

• Like 1

Pool Deck Supervisor:

The Four Seasons Hotel in Palm Beach supervises the pool deck and the beach.

When you go to the beach they ask for your name and room number. They set up the umbrellas and give you towels.

The beach is monitored. Same at the pool. Staff is there. 

5 hours ago, kjbacon said:

We had a wonderful trip, didn’t we? I hope to sail with you and Jeannie again!

Indeed!

It was a pleasure meeting you and Jack, all the best to you, wishing you many more wonderful future cruises!