Shore Excursion Tenders

REDSTRIPETYPE

Just read a review that said for shore excursion tenders, one person per couple must go and stand in line (sometimes 100 people in the line) to get a tender ticket. Then proceed to the theater to wait for your number to be called.

Can anyone confirm the process for the Reagtta?

15 minutes ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

Just read a review that said for shore excursion tenders, one person per couple must go and stand in line (sometimes 100 people in the line) to get a tender ticket. Then proceed to the theater to wait for your number to be called.

Yes that’s it other than the number of people mentioned. And all your party needs to be in the lounge/theatre.  You get the ticket in the lounge. What do perceive as the problem with that?

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

Our experience on tendering on O is when you are ready to go ashore all of your party goes to the lounge (generally) and get your tender ticket.  Only one person needs to actually get in line while others sit.  If you are on an O excursion, there will be a time on your excursion ticket that tells you what time to be at the lounge to get your tender ticket for that specific excursion.  We have never encountered a line with more than 20 people in line (and this was at the beginning of tendering when there are several shore excursions leaving at the same time).  There are at lest 2-3 people handing out the tender tickets so the line goes very quickly.  Once you have your tender ticket, you sit in the lounge until your tender ticket number is called.  Then you head down to the tender and board,   Usually an hour or two after the start of tendering, they announce open tendering and you no longer go to the lounge to get a ticket but just go down to the tenders and get on.  This procedure keeps people from forming lines up the stairs waiting to get on a tender.....

• Like 2

Kinda accurate. Destinations Staff does operate out of the Regatta Lounge and people are asked to enter the lounge on the Right side and line up based on their specific tour arrival time so it is not a giant fiasco. That is for ship tours and normally they will go off first. Get your Tour ticket and go wait near the Left side exit for your tour number to be called. Numbers are called based on time and the availability of the transportation staff on the dock. If you are on a Private Tour or just going into the port on your own, you may have to wait for a Tender ticket a bit.  They do their best to accommodate everyone getting off via tender and there could be 2-3 ship tenders running or depending on the Port, they could be using their required tenders. 
Regatta is not a huge ship and the process operates fairly smoothly but of course not as fast as some would like. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

Was the review you read an Oceania review? We only ever encountered a fraction of the number you quote!

Edited by hamrag

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Was the review you read an Oceania review? We only ever encountered a fraction of the number you quote!

Sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me on the reviewer’s part. 

• Like 1

Wow! Tough crowd...cant figure out why on a friendly chat group where people help other people why some people would be so critical.

The information was on one of the twenty or so Regatta reviews I read here on Cruise Critic under reviews, however I am not about to go rereading and searching just to apiece the Hyperbole naysayers. What you think I made it up...why would I do that? Hope these people are not on my cruise.

Thank-you to the nice people who replied with helpful information.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

Wow! Tough crowd...cant figure out why on a friendly chat group where people help other people why some people would be so critical.

The information was on one of the twenty or so Regatta reviews I read here on Cruise Critic under reviews, however I am not about to go rereading and searching just to apiece the Hyperbole naysayers. What you think I made it up...why would I do that? Hope these people are not on my cruise.

Thank-you to the nice people who replied with helpful information.

I think I was very clear when I said reviewer, no one inferred you. But I’m still curious what you perceive as the problem with this process?  No one is attacking you,  just trying to understand. And truly, if they said there were a hundred people in the line then it was hyperbole and exaggeration. A 100 people would be a 1/6 of the passengers on the ship. 

Other than the size of the line, yes, that is the process on all the Oceania ships, always has been. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3

I would just like to add that we primarily do small group tours on our own and have done a number of O cruises. We have never missed a private excursion in a tender port due to being unable to get seats on a tender. Please don’t be concerned by the process. 

• Like 1