Getting a Taxi With 2-4 Other Ships in Port?

There will be 2-4 other big cruise ships in port for my days in Roatan and Cozumel.  What's it like trying to get a taxi when 12,000 people are dumped in port all at once?  Thanks.

I would be very careful with taxis in Cozumel.  The beauty is that Cozumel is an island and somewhat safer than Costa Maya and Cancún.  I lived in México for 4 years albeit many years ago.  We always and only got taxis from a Sítio which is a taxi stand.  Otherwise you may be in for a risky ride.  Taxis are very limited in Cozumel.  I would look into hiring a driver either from home or while onboard.  Can't answer about Roatan.  

On 1/28/2024 at 2:24 PM, jtwind said:

There will be 2-4 other big cruise ships in port for my days in Roatan and Cozumel.  What's it like trying to get a taxi when 12,000 people are dumped in port all at once?  Thanks.

Well...in reality, they're not going to be *literally* dumped all at the same time.  It takes time to get off the ship...especially if you're tendering.  Crowds would be *somewhat* staggered a bit.  @bphman has given you some rather good-sounding advice.  I can't speak to the safety of taxis in those areas...we've only done ship excursions while in ports such as this...or just walked around for a short while to get off the ship and stretch our legs a bit.  Taking a ship excursion (while usually being more expensive) should alleviate much anxiety about taxis if you have concerns there. 

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Taxis are filled at the port with people going to the same location.  I have never been a a taxi alone.  

Taxis are plentiful at both locations, especially at Cozumel.  You simply enter the taxi line at the entrance to the pier awaiting the next available driver. They will take solo passengers or couples going to specific locations - we have done that at Cozumel numerous times - but often many passengers are going to the same location (typically town) so it is easy to fill cabs and vans with passengers heading to the same location.  Agree as well with the information provided by @LeeW

Roatan works the same as Cozumel, although in our experience it can be a bit more congested with taxis not seeming to be as plentiful.  But the people there are very helpful and we were able to arrange a ride to our destination after a short wait.  The return was arranged without difficulty by the venue.

Another suggestion might be to arrange a private driver in advance at Cozumel to sightsee the back side of the island. Very undeveloped with several sunrise to sunset restaurants / bars and beautiful scenery en route.  We have done that both through an arranged tour (Cozumel Bar Hop - google it) as well as independently.  A very interesting part of the island to visit that most cruise ship visitors are not aware of. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Roatan has two separate port/pier areas.  Carnival Corp. ships dock at Mahogany Bay with their own shopping and beach.  The others dock at Coxen Hole.  That separates the crowd.  There are three piers in Cozumel.  Carnival family of lines use the most southern pier at Puerto Maya.  Royal Caribbean group use the international pier (as does MSC).  Downtown pier is Punta Langosta where NCL, Virgin, sometimes MSC and others dock.  They all have different t port areas with separate shopping and taxi stands.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1