Wi-Fi

esper10

3 minutes ago, esper10 said:

So if I’m on a single phone I can receive a call thru wi-if calling. I will not be changing from phone to phone. So please confirm for me as I’m old and don’t know much about these things. I will turn my phone to wi-if calling when I’m home and this will allow me to call out and receive a call the regular way without any charges. Also will have the phone on an airplane mode connected to the ship internet. I appreciate it so much

Correct on all points. Just make sure to check and see if turning on airplane mode turned off your wifi function. If so, just turn that back on. Some phones do, some don't. (AND test your wifi calling at home before you leave. )

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Correct on all points. Just make sure to check and see if turning on airplane mode turned off your wifi function. If so, just turn that back on. Some phones do, some don't. (AND test your wifi calling at home before you leave. )

50 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Thanks soooooo much. I have bought the wi-fi now. I will keep on checking on the ship to make sure my wi-fi calling is on. I so appreciate your help.

Really good advice in this thread. I just wanted to chime in and add this very important tidbit about WiFi Calling - please please please be sure it is enabled for the very first time BEFORE you leave port.

On the US carriers, when you go to activate WiFi Calling for the first time, it will use the GPS and such in the phone to ascertain your general location, but it will also ask you to enter your physical address for e911 purposes. If you aren't detected as being in the US during the WiFi calling setup process, it might fail to activate.

You don't want to be at sea and have it fail to turn on. 🙂 So, as long as you have it working on your Home WiFi before you head out on your voyage, you should be golden.

Edited by AlpacaBag
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:28 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Clarification about the above.  When I say "Don't go off of airplane mode"...I mean on the ship.  If you have some type of international day plan (for cruises outside the US) sure...go ahead and switch back to the local land-based system. (I do this all the time...I have the AT&T International Day Pass.)  Or, for any domestic cruises it is of course safe to go off airplane mode.  You just don't want to do so while on board.  You *could* be faced with a hefty charge when you get your next phone bill.

I have done Exactly as stated by Rick and Jeannie on my last 4 Cruises. I buy the Wi-Fi. While on the ship, turn on Wi-Fi Calling and go on Airplane Mode. While in a foreign country I get the AT&T Day Pass. While off the ship I turn off Airplane Mode and use the cellular service that AT&T allows. Works like a charm and I believe Verizon offers a similar service. 

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

Just to add to this, we have terrible cell service in my house. As a result I use Wi-Fi calling at home. I do not switch on Airplane Mode When I leave the house it automatically switches back to 5G when it does not have a Wi-Fi signal. 

22 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Just to add to this, we have terrible cell service in my house. As a result I use Wi-Fi calling at home. I do not switch on Airplane Mode When I leave the house it automatically switches back to 5G when it does not have a Wi-Fi signal. 

Huh! Interesting. I never really thought about it but since I leave wifi calling on all the time I may very well be using it while at home without realizing it! I know you could *force* its use by flipping on airplane mode but I wouldn't normally do that at home unless I was actually testing the wifi calling. 

9 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Huh! Interesting. I never really thought about it but since I leave wifi calling on all the time I may very well be using it while at home without realizing it! I know you could *force* its use by flipping on airplane mode but I wouldn't normally do that at home unless I was actually testing the wifi calling. 

It will show if you’re using wifi instead of cellular service.

IMG_5347.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, t&atravel said:

It will show if you’re using wifi instead of cellular service.

IMG_5347.jpeg

My Samsung Galaxy S22 does not show a display such as that...I've never seen any indication of anything being different, but I've not really been looking, either!  (AT&T)

On 1/29/2024 at 9:59 AM, PapaGoose said:

maybe we should just get rid of the landline!

We got rid of ours over a decade ago. Haven't looked back... 😄 

I agree that a security service won't use WhatsApp. No matter how nicely you ask them. But if you set up a friend or family member to be the contact person, that person can message you on WhatsApp when they get a call from the security firm and you can use the ship's wifi to check your camera and decide what to do.

OTOH, if the call from the security company is short, it might be worth just using cell service knowing it's going to cost you. Especially since most likely no one will break in and you won't get a call.

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2024 at 12:05 PM, RocknRoll22 said:

I still want notification, so I can look in with my camera system to see if it's a false alarm or what's going on.

My sister and BIL have a simple "Canary" camera system in home for security.  They're on Caribbean Princess now in the Atlantic, and receive notifications while connected to the ship's wifi, and having WhatsApp active.  Bad storms here in TN two nights ago, and they received 50 notifications - LOL!