Antartica

Tropical77

Hello everyone,

I love celebrity (travel with kids) and was looking into the Antartica cruises for 12/24. Seems they don’t have anything scheduled until 2026. I called celebrity and the representative didn’t know.  Anyone knows if I should wait to see if any sailings appear for that date or just go with another line?

Thanks 

50 minutes ago, Tropical77 said:

Hello everyone,

I love celebrity (travel with kids) and was looking into the Antartica cruises for 12/24. Seems they don’t have anything scheduled until 2026. I called celebrity and the representative didn’t know.  Anyone knows if I should wait to see if any sailings appear for that date or just go with another line?

Thanks 

Princess has some fantastic Antarctica sailings. Check out @Ken the cruiser "live from" blog on the Princess site. His commentary and photos inspired us to book this cruise in 2025. Check out his link  here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2984033-live-from-the-sapphire-30-day-antarcticasa-b2b-jan-20-feb-19/

• Thanks 1

HAL has a pretty good 22 day trip also. This is the second year in a row X has cancelled these cruises.

As for drive by vs. stepping on the continent, each has their pros and cons...do what you want to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

If you really want to experience Antarctica, don't go with the large cruise lines. You want to be on a ship that carries 100 passengers maximum or else you'll just be doing a "drive by".

Seabourn Venture carries 450.

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

If you really want to experience Antarctica, don't go with the large cruise lines. You want to be on a ship that carries 100 passengers maximum or else you'll just be doing a "drive by".

The 100 pax is for the number that can be on the continent at one. I think the ship limit is 500 (although someone can correct me). Regardless, the 100 limit is for how many can be there at once. So if the ship has 200 pax then they'll do 2 groups of 100 for landings.

53 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

The 100 pax is for the number that can be on the continent at one. I think the ship limit is 500 (although someone can correct me). Regardless, the 100 limit is for how many can be there at once. So if the ship has 200 pax then they'll do 2 groups of 100 for landings.

It is 500 and the ship can hold even more, as long as they don't on that cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

We are on Ponant 2/2/24 which has more than 100 people, but still does zodiak excursions to shore.  I agree a sail by does not compare to what we expect to experience.

10 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

We have done both and there is really no comparison.

On X, or any of the other big cruise ships, you will basically have a few hours watching ice bergs which is interesting.

On expeditions you will see the bergs and get close to the wildlife.

The 100 limit is the Antarctic Convention limit - only 100 people are allowed on shore at any one time and no one person ( including crew) can be on land for more than 60 minutes. Good exploration ships rotate the passengers to keep the number on land to maximum of 50.

Splash the cash, book cheaper cabins and go  "exploration" would be our choice and if you want King Penguins include South Georgia.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

We have done both and there is really no comparison.

On X, or any of the other big cruise ships, you will basically have a few hours watching ice bergs which is interesting.

On expeditions you will see the bergs and get close to the wildlife.

The 100 limit is the Antarctic Convention limit - only 100 people are allowed on shore at any one time and no one person ( including crew) can be on land for more than 60 minutes. Good exploration ships rotate the passengers to keep the number on land to maximum of 50.

Splash the cash, book cheaper cabins and go  "exploration" would be our choice and if you want King Penguins include South Georgia.

Sorry sent to quick.

If you are going to look at an Expedition Cruise you also need the compare the seasons:

Early: end Oct, November: more snow makes landings harder, lots of baby penguins, seals etc, good chance of whales.

Late: Feb and early March: less snow landings on rocks, no babies lots of juveniles, less chance for whales.

Christmas and New Year: wonderful but mega expensive.

King penguins breed all year meaning you can see everything from eggs, through babies, juveniles and adults.

We did late Feb/early March on the Fram (500 passengers but only has 208 for Antarctica, 12,500 tons).273.thumb.JPG.08f297a607d02d98e08c119e63d147bd.JPG322.thumb.JPG.2cf87b7998d87754de78ca72b061e52d.JPG273.thumb.JPG.08f297a607d02d98e08c119e63d147bd.JPG250.thumb.JPG.c27feaf7445d3bc45b8aafe842df6db7.JPG120.thumb.JPG.e80789f4d04adac5ff533d488ae7f22c.JPG107.thumb.JPG.4d15dd334f97d53cbb2642dedef0ec7f.JPG067.thumb.JPG.fdcae116a79deb940c91d593bb05961b.JPG075(2).thumb.JPG.35762058e28f321a307098826fd264f1.JPG028.thumb.JPG.aaab200fb83888cd3db534273382c4d2.JPG052.thumb.JPG.2b5f98013e007a3729f5a3fdcc96bcc3.JPG

All pics except 1 taken by the boss (Anita).

• Like 1