How Do I Change Cabins?

Kellyann

6 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Thank you all for great info.  I must have been dealing with the Call Center because too many of them were clueless.  I don't know what a CVP is or how to reach them.  I have a booking so would a CVP help me change cabins, add insurance and cancel air?   Please tell me the Phone # to reach a helpful person.  

You may not be able to get a CVP to help. If the cruise is already booked and deposited, they don't get credit for it. I prefer booking online because I want very specific cabins. If I wait to contact a CVP, the cabin may not be available. You used to be able to book online and put it on hold for three days with no deposit. I would do that and contact a CVP to deposit. But now they won't hold without a deposit, and once you deposit online, it's too late to contact a CVP.

A few have asked why I didn't just book online.  I have never done a TA and was trying to find out the cost of airfare because I didn't want to book a cruise only to find out that the airfare was too expensive.  They couldn't provide the answer about air unless I booked it first.  It just got crazy because I was accustomed to booking my own cabin or dealing with people who knew what they were doing.  I was intimidated by a 15 day cruise, TA, Europe, what airport, how do I get there....yes, I was overwhelmed.

The heads of many big corporations who have call centers with people that can hardly speak English and keep repeating the same spiel should try navigating thru this maze to see what we sometimes have to deal with.  Sorry to get off topic.  Looking forward to trip and Cruise Critic has been my "go to" place for answers for many years.  Thank you all.

I changed cabins using Chat a few weeks ago. Same category. Same deck. Same side of the ship. Just wanted to move ten cabins closer to the middle. As mentioned in an earlier post, I made it very clear that I had an excellent fare with the 3rd Person Sails Free promo and I did not want to move if it was going to cost me any money or if I was going to lose any perks. I gave the agent the exact cabin number that I wanted (the only cabin left on that deck so that was easy). The agent said that it shouldn’t be a problem and asked me to bear with her for a few minutes. About 7 minutes later she returned and recited back to me exactly what I wanted: New cabin numb. No re-faring. No price increase and I agreed. A minute later I had my new cabin. When the chat ended I elected to have a transcript of it emailed to me. In another minute I looked at my Personalizer and everything appeared perfect. Total time invested by me was about 15 minutes. I know that my small sample size doesn’t negate the difficulties that others have had, but I am 4 for 4 in using Chat for FAST and ACCURATE results. Way better than calling. 

Edited by JimmyVWine

38 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

A few have asked why I didn't just book online.  I have never done a TA and was trying to find out the cost of airfare because I didn't want to book a cruise only to find out that the airfare was too expensive.  They couldn't provide the answer about air unless I booked it first. 

This makes no sense.  Anyone can check EZ-Air flights and prices before booking.  Click on your chosen date and itinerary and on the next screen click Flight Quotes and search.

image.thumb.png.de8f5b2b5d3bc7e61a68d8d1d9086375.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kellyann said:

A few have asked why I didn't just book online.  I have never done a TA and was trying to find out the cost of airfare because I didn't want to book a cruise only to find out that the airfare was too expensive.  They couldn't provide the answer about air unless I booked it first.  It just got crazy because I was accustomed to booking my own cabin or dealing with people who knew what they were doing.  I was intimidated by a 15 day cruise, TA, Europe, what airport, how do I get there....yes, I was overwhelmed.

The heads of many big corporations who have call centers with people that can hardly speak English and keep repeating the same spiel should try navigating thru this maze to see what we sometimes have to deal with.  Sorry to get off topic.  Looking forward to trip and Cruise Critic has been my "go to" place for answers for many years.  Thank you all.

I completely agree with "The heads of many...."  I had awful experiences with call center people; four calls, over two hours in total.  My fifth call was handled by someone who knew what they were doing. but that was another half hour!

Princess should adequately educate their call center personnel so that English is both comprehended and comprehendible.  I'm not sure they are versed in the Princess systems, either.  I place the blame for their inadequacy on Princess.  Someone on this thread said incompetence isn't geographic, and I agree. There is no way that I can speak Hindi or Tagalog, and these workers are doing way more than I could ... but that doesn't ease the frustration - and yes for me, too, tears.

I recently booked a second cruise on Princess (yes, my awful experience was my initiation with Princess, never encountered anything like it ever), and I would not/couldnt bear to do it without a Travel agent.  I had to search (google); I lucked out and found an experienced and responsive one.  Which is good, because I booked a balcony, then upgraded to a mini.  Doing that via the call center would have been awful.

Does your TA that you found offer much of a discount?

What I am seeing, looking at booking for next year, is no real discounts..  maybe some OBC.

And, everybody here should beware of those that offer a small discount, but want a ridiculous high deposit.

We are considering booking with a new TA or Princess Planner.  

But, we have a unique cabin, and are afraid we would lose it, as this already shows as RESERVE.

I do not know if we would be able to re-book that same cabin...  with the help of a good TA.

If you could offer any info, I would be happy to hear from you.

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Does your TA that you found offer much of a discount?

What I am seeing, looking at booking for next year, is no real discounts..  maybe some OBC.

And, everybody here should beware of those that offer a small discount, but want a ridiculous high deposit.

We are considering booking with a new TA or Princess Planner.  

But, we have a unique cabin, and are afraid we would lose it, as this already shows as RESERVE.

I do not know if we would be able to re-book that same cabin...  with the help of a good TA.

If you could offer any info, I would be happy to hear from you.

No fare discounts, a big-deal total $85.00 OBC but better than nothing.  Deposit was the same as Princess, $100 pp.  What was important to me is that the TA to deal with Princess.  She does, and I am happy!  But you're right - watch for high deposit, esp when the cruise line offers a low deposit.

I googled Travel Agents in my city, and this one was on Y elp with good reviews.  I think I was lucky.  Not a big box, (but affiliated with a world-wide group) and the agent is in a local office.  

On 1/31/2024 at 6:20 PM, Kellyann said:

I have a T/A but I look first on the Princess site & if I find a stateroom that I like I may book it & then contact my agent who has always giving me a much better price. Another advantage of a T/A is on Princess their may by staterooms that don’t show as available.  I’ve got a bid in for an upgrade to a Mini Suite on the Discovery Princess but the Princess site showed none available & now it shows sold out. With Princess you can also see the airfare before you make any decision. 

Tom😀

On 1/31/2024 at 10:08 AM, TAW1963 said:

I haven't been able to get through on chat lately either, even if I try and the 9:00 am EST starting time.  I can be the next in the queue, but it puts me in a loop and keeps asking me if I am still waiting and to type "Yes" if I am.   However, in the past I have used the chat and the staff on chat have all been very competent.  I have had some very competent staff by calling and some utterly incompetent staff by calling.  I called two days to re-fare a future booking and the staff member, although really nice, confused things to the point that she wasn't even looking at the correct booked cruise anymore and was trying to change a cruise I have booked for March.  She wasted an hour and a half of my time.   I called back the next morning and the agent had my booking re-fared in just a couple of minutes.   My suggestion to the OP is to kindly (finish call) hang up if the staff is not competent and call back and hope you get a more competent one.  I know that this a burden, but some are far better than others.   

This has been my experience as well. I politely say thank you, hang up and try again until I find a competent staff member. I agree, the wasted time and frustration is not worth booking through Princess , she almost cancelled the wrong cruise! I am back to the big box, where customer service has improved dramatically this year.

• Like 1