Best pizza in Naples?

tkline

We'll be in Naples soon for the first time, can anyone recommend a good pizza place to eat at? Preferably one with decent table seating rather than a street vendor where they fold it up and you wander around gnawing on crust. We don't mind taking a taxi if it's a little farther away from the port area.

Ciro al Borgo is a nice walk (about 1.8 km/1.1 miles) from the cruise port, along the waterfront.   The address is Via Luculliana, 29/30 - Borgo Marinari a, 80132 Napoli Campania.  Web site here:  ..:: Ristorante Ciro Borgo Marinari ::..

Mattozzi is a little closer to the port (about 1.3 km/eight-tenths of a mile) at Piazza Carità, 2.

Ristorante Pizzeria Mattozzi a piazza Carità (ristorantemattozzi.it)

• Like 1

Thanks, I think we might have to do a pizza crawl and try all of them!

Do they take credit cards or do you need to have cash? Last time I was in Europe was greece in 2006 and it was pretty much just cash everywhere

Mattozzi looks good, but I kind of worry they will be slammed with people if they're close to the port. Wouldn't mind if we had to take a taxi out to the burbs somewhere.

Edited by tkline

Over the years we’ve tried many,  we lined up for Sorbillos but were underwhelmed.   We’ve tried Trianon beside Da Michel and our current favourite Lombardis, is the last photo below, as well as many others. Always think a photo is worth….

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tkline said:

Thanks, I think we might have to do a pizza crawl and try all of them!

No, just focus on 1 or 2. The lines and waiting times are long. Visit Brandi because the margherita was invented there. And Da Michelle is an icon and you should visit them once in your life for real Napolitean pizza.

48 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There are great pizza places with no lines, places that TikTokers haven't posted about ad nauseam to the point that "everyone" thinks they "have" to go there.

LOL.  We have had some of the best pizza in Naples, and it was not near as good as the average pizza in NYC!  Go figure.  One New Yorker told me that all the top pizza makers moved to the USA. 🙂

Hank

• Haha 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

LOL.  We have had some of the best pizza in Naples, and it was not near as good as the average pizza in NYC!  Go figure.  One New Yorker told me that all the top pizza makers moved to the USA. 🙂

Hank

I will probably like American pizza better too. But I love all pizza and Naples is where pizza was born, so having pizza in Naples is a bucket list thing for me 🙂

My favorite style is actually super thick crust Sicilan pizza, which will probably be way different than the pizza in Sicily... which I also plan to test on this cruise, along with some arancini too

• Like 1

Just now, tkline said:

I will probably like American pizza better too. But I love all pizza and Naples is where pizza was born, so having pizza in Naples is a bucket list thing for me 🙂

My favorite style is actually super thick crust Sicilan pizza, which will probably be way different than the pizza in Sicily... which I also plan to test on this cruise, along with some arancini too

I get it!  DW and I had been in Naples, many times, when we finally were there on a day when the weather was not good for our plans (we are DIY folks).  So we decided to finally "force ourselves" to sample some local pizza and went to well known Da Michele.  We to a number and waited out on the sidewalk (with a 100 others).  Every few minutes a man would come out and call out some numbers, in Italian!  He finally called our number and in we went to this famous place where folks were crammed together on long tables that were so tightly crammed that customers had to pass food down the table.  They only have two kinds of pizza, Margherita and Marinara.  Drinks are soft drinks and served in cheap plastic cups.  The pizza was good, the atmosphere a bit frantic, and we had fun.  On another visit we stopped at some unknown pizza place (not far from Da Michele where they actually had some toppings and the pizza was even better than the famous place.  Go figure.

I think Euro Cruiser's message is correct in that there are many good pizza places all over Naples.  It is difficult to imagine a bad pizza place surviving in that city.  By the way, when we went to Da Michele, a majority of the folks waiting to get inside were Italian!  We talked to a few and they were also tourists from other parts of Italy!  We also noticed plenty of folks getting pizza to go....just like you see at home.

Hank

I don’t think it’s a matter of the best pizza makers leaving town so much as the need to recognize that different cities and regions have their own distinct pizza style. Heck even in the US we have NY style and Chicago style….  Same goes in Italy. 

The Neapolitan pizza is a ‘wet’ pizza — a bit liquidy in the middle from the San Marzano tomatoes and the Buffalo mozzarella. Best eaten piping hot and with a knife and fork (middle) before attempting to pick up the dryer part near the crust — which is often a bit charred from the intense heat of the wood-fired oven.

I actually prefer the version served in Rome that has a thinner crust, rather crispy. Both versions tend to have scant toppings — the toppings are there to accentuate, they aren’t the main event.

And to end my pizza musings, I heard recently that in the new section of Pompeii that is being excavated, archeologists have turned up a fresco with food that includes something looking very much like a pizza. (Even though it wouldn’t have had tomatoes, a New World addition). So I guess Naples really does have a claim to being the inventors of the dish.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/pompeii-fresco-pizza-180982446/

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 8:39 PM, euro cruiser said:

Ciro al Borgo is a nice walk (about 1.8 km/1.1 miles) from the cruise port, along the waterfront.   The address is Via Luculliana, 29/30 - Borgo Marinari a, 80132 Napoli Campania.  Web site here:  ..:: Ristorante Ciro Borgo Marinari ::..

Mattozzi is a little closer to the port (about 1.3 km/eight-tenths of a mile) at Piazza Carità, 2.

Ristorante Pizzeria Mattozzi a piazza Carità (ristorantemattozzi.it)

thanks again for this, we ate at Mattozzi today, first stop on the first Sun Princess sailing, it was heavenly.

• Like 1