Ship Time Vs. Local Time

jtwind

9 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The itinerary was based on ship's time and was always correct. But sometimes ship's time was an hour off of local time.

Just stating the obvious, but this just means the Captain chose to maintain ship time versus adjusting to the local port time.  Very common.

One itinerary that we do frequently is NJ / Bermuda and the Captain always adjusts one hour on a sea day en route (to and from) to adjust to / from Bermuda local time as we are in port for 3 days.  It wouldn't make sense not to change in that case.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Twice is not "frequently ".

Nit-picking.  It depends upon the size of the universe:  if it happened twice on two cruises, the correct term would be “always.  If it happened twice on three cruises, “frequently” would be misleadingly low.

Twice in thirty is a lot more frequent than your “never”.  It helps readers of these threads to know that it can, and does, happen.

And if someone only sailed to those ports it would be always.

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Frequently will keep its own time? I seriously doubt that it's "frequently".  I can't think of one time is 27 cruises...almost 250 days, on 3 cruise lines where the ship's time has been different from local time.

Interesting.  In 40+ cruises I would say it has happened enough to not be considered unusual.   Not something that I track of course but a relatively low percentage I think.  I've experienced it in both Caribbean and European cruises multiple times.     

Edit, after quoting I see others shared similar experience.   Sorry if I've been repetitive.  

Edited by ldubs

27 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It helps readers of these threads to know that it can, and does, happen.

That is the important thing.  

While I've missed too many fall back/spring forward time changes, I've always managed to keep up with ship time changes.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That is the important thing.  

While I've missed too many fall back/spring forward time changes, I've always managed to keep up with ship time changes.  

Same here  - it’s one thing to show up at work an hour early on a Fall Monday - or an hour late on Spring Monday — but it’s something rather different  to stand on the pier waving bon voyage to your departing ship.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

On my most recent cruise that disembarked last week, I had an interesting experience with time zones.  It was a 14-day cruise that went from Galveston to Panama and back.  The Captain made the executive decision to change to Eastern Time on day 2 and stay there until day 14.

The cruise itself actually had stops in three different time zones - Central (Galveston and Limon, CR), Atlantic (Aruba and Curacao), and Eastern (the rest of them).  So, we were an hour off of local time at a few of our ports, but this minimized the disruption of having to change times for us passengers.

We all like to think the reduced cloxs are to enhance the pax experience. I'll suggest the primary reason is making it easier to manage the crew's hours of rest requirements, per the Maritime Labour Convention.

• Like 1