Do boarding passes still need to be printed?

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

Most (if not all?) concert venues, sports venues, theaters and other public venues have been cashless for years. When you download your tickets to your digital wallet, you do not need any connectivity for them to work. We go to concerts often and I am a season ticket holder for both basketball and football at my college and both stopped using physical tickets several years ago. 

I now that now but seems insane to me that a venue that wants people to use their TicketMaster app for entry and puts in very small print that their WiFi may not work.  The Sphere attracts visitors worldwide.  You can't even print the ticket to be scanned.  

12 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I was at the Sphere Las Vegas which is all electronic, cash less.  You need the TicketMaster app to buy and use tickets for entry.  The media then includes a warning to download your virtual ticket into your phone "wallet" because they warn of "connectivity issues on site" and screenshots will not work..

Wallet apps have existed on smartphones for over a decade now, it's mature technology and is well-tested.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Wallet apps have existed on smartphones for over a decade now, it's mature technology and is well-tested.

Exactly. This isn't a new concept, it's been an option for many years. Venues have just gone to it exclusively to get rid of paper ticketing and those who haven't adapted to it in the past are now being forced to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Isn't the purpose of the Ticketmaster app to hold your tickets?

It's the same technology either way, whether you use the ticketmaster app or the google/apple wallet app.

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Isn't the purpose of the Ticketmaster app to hold your tickets?

The Ticketmaster app is for ordering tickets bought through Ticketmaster, that's it. Those tickets are within the Ticketmaster app and you need a data connection to retrieve those tickets. Similar to your airlines app, where you keep your airline tickets.

Your digital wallet can be used offline, and holds so much more than just your concert tickets. Your digital wallet can hold all of your concert tickets, airline tickets, credit cards, loyalty cards, etc., all in one place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teknoge3k said:

The Ticketmaster app is for ordering tickets bought through Ticketmaster, that's it. Those tickets are within the Ticketmaster app and you need a data connection to retrieve those tickets. Similar to your airlines app, where you keep your airline tickets.

Your digital wallet can be used offline, and holds so much more than just your concert tickets. Your digital wallet can hold all of your concert tickets, airline tickets, credit cards, loyalty cards, etc., all in one place. 

Correct but the point is/was is that if you did not read the fine print on the Sphere website, not TicketMaster (which clearly said the ticket on their app was the only item you needed for entry or go to their website if you didn't want to download the app) you would not have known.  I happened to read the Sphere website simply to find out to find my entrance and saw the warning.  

20 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It's the same technology either way, whether you use the ticketmaster app or the google/apple wallet app.

Data retrieval as the issue.  You can get to your wallet on a tiny bit of data.  

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

Correct but the point is/was is that if you did not read the fine print on the Sphere website, not TicketMaster (which clearly said the ticket on their app was the only item you needed for entry or go to their website if you didn't want to download the app) you would not have known.  I happened to read the Sphere website simply to find out to find my entrance and saw the warning.  

With that have been the process (digital ticketing) for so many venues for so many years, I guess it's thought it'd be common knowledge on how to handle digital ticketing, but I totally understand your point. It's the same thing at other venues also, when you have x,0000 people in one spot it overloads cell towers and makes it impossible to access data. Most tickets tell you to download them to your digital wallet before going to the venue. You're right, that's on Ticketmaster for not disclosing that clearly on the tickets for The Sphere. SN: I'd love to visit the Sphere, it looks really cool from all the photos I've seen on social media!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

With that have been the process (digital ticketing) for so many venues for so many years, I guess it's thought it'd be common knowledge on how to handle digital ticketing, but I totally understand your point. It's the same thing at other venues also, when you have x,0000 people in one spot it overloads cell towers and makes it impossible to access data. Most tickets tell you to download them to your digital wallet before going to the venue. You're right, that's on Ticketmaster for not disclosing that clearly on the tickets for The Sphere. SN: I'd love to visit the Sphere, it looks really cool from all the photos I've seen on social media!

Much like Carnival's website, all the information you need is on Ticketmaster's website or the venue's website. But people don't read it. We get threads on here every day asking questions that are answered on Carnival's website. I can only imagine how many people clog up the entrance lines or phone lines at concert venues around the globe because they didn't want to read the paperless ticketing information until they were standing in line.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 8:52 AM, atakkat said:

I screen shot as well in case of tech issues. I do print the luggage tags but that is it.

If you are printing out luggage tags you might as well print the boarding pass at the same time and still do the screen shop as a backup.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 3:17 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

In Seattle (Alaska bound ships), everyone has to have their own printed copy.  It is best to arrive with it in hand.  While we can print out a copy for you, the 75 people with their printed boarding pass behind you in line will be waved though, and then it will take you a bit longer going thru check-in and security.

If you do arrive without your boarding pass, please at least know your stateroom number.  We can check by last name, but every person with that last name will appear on our screen.  Much faster with a stateroom number.

In Seattle we need to see everyone’s boarding pass and passport (or birth certificate) before you can enter the terminal building.

Do you ever wonder when you are checking people in if it is someone you have reacted with on these forums?

@ontheweb, sometimes I will look at the Roll Calls for a particular cruise a day or so it sails. It can give me insight into what the cruise passengers thoughts or concerns are (weather, arrival time at the pier, luggage drop off, etc).  
Once I read a roll call and a passenger was discussing their “service dog” and how they were a little concerned about the dog being in a confined space (elevator), and how her plan to keep the dog calm was to feed it lots of hamburgers.  It was easy to figure out who that person was when she and the dog showed up.  We, of course have to accept that the dog is truly a service dog.  We need to see the dog’s record of vaccinations, but unless the dog is showing dangerous behavior it is embarked.

There have been a couple of folks who I have interacted with on CC that I have guessed correctly who they were.  Generally speaking, the check-in process goes quickly, so passengers get thru it fast and then they are off to board the ship, so not a lot of time to see everyone coming thru check-in.

Sometimes when we are not slammed, we can take the time to look at the matching tee shirts that friends/family groups show up wearing.  Last season there was a couple groups that had personalized tee shirts that answered the question- most likely to…..     One tee shirt on a kid said, most likely to get lost.  Another on an adult said most likely to eat all the ice cream.  Still another said, most likely to be found at a bar.  It was a fun distraction for us to read the shirts.

;  )

• Like 2