RomeCabs Transfers To/From Civitavecchia - Tipping

martyap

33 minutes ago, martyap said:

How much, if any, should you tip the driver per person?

For us it depends on our criteria.

Arriving prompt, opening door for my DW, loading suitcases, nice company, good driving, arriving happy and relaxed.
If all of the above then €50 total, but if not one single criteria, then €10 total just for getting us there.

Please don't contribute to the "overtipping" issue in Italy.

Drivers, including taxis, are not tipped according to any percentage, nor is a tip necessarily expected, and tips do NOT make up a portion of their salary, unlike some staff in the US.

An Italian would likely only "round up" slightly from whatever the actual fare is. For years, the fixed rate for a taxi into Rome from the airport was 48 euro. It was simple and perfectly acceptable for me to simply hand the driver a 50 euro note.

I certainly would not give 10 euro "just for the ride"!  Circumstances where I would give a bit more would be something like if the driver carries my luggage a distance, or up a number of stairs because the check-in or entrance is not close to where he parked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

For us it depends on our criteria.

Arriving prompt, opening door for my DW, loading suitcases, nice company, good driving, arriving happy and relaxed.
If all of the above then €50 total, but if not one single criteria, then €10 total just for getting us there.

50 EUROS tip ??   Wow.  

On 2/6/2024 at 1:06 PM, martyap said:

How much, if any, should you tip the driver per person?

How much should you give him?
For driving the taxi, absolutely NOTHING.

In Europe, prices include service and tips are considered an addition, not part of the salary.

Offer a tip if you think the service was excellent. That is, he arrived early, helped you with your suitcases, opened the door for you, or even provided you with interesting information.

How much?. Rounding the price up is more than enough. Nothing about a percentage.

If he also speaks your language and gives you advice that may be useful, you can give him a little more (but five euros is a high figure for a tip). This way you encourage taxi drivers to learn your language for the next time and focus on tourism.

I almost never tip taxi drivers. They haven't looked at me badly. If I have done it, it has been something very exceptional for something specific.

This applies to all European countries and for other services as well (hotel, restaurant, shops, etc...)