MSC Meraviglia - Docking In Miami from Brooklyn

ahahn078

Greetings!

I'll be on the MSC Meraviglia next early February 2025 out of Brooklyn.

I was going through reviews on this ship, and noticed that some of them mentioned that due to the inclement weather around MSC's Ocean Cay Island, they docked in Miami instead. Those reviews also mentioned that everyone regardless of US citizenship had to disembark and go through a chaotic immigration system. Did this happen to you? Were you also docked in a spot where you had to take a taxi to wherever you wanted to go?

In Miami, the ship docks at the Port of Miami cruise complex.

There is nothing in the port area, other than a coffee shop in one of the  port administration buildings, for entertainment. You will need  some form of transportation to leave the port area.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ahahn078 said:

Greetings!

Those reviews also mentioned that everyone regardless of US citizenship had to disembark and go through a chaotic immigration system. 

If it is a US port of call after a foreign port of call all passengers must clear customs so this means getting off the ship and doing so. This is not just for MSC but for any cruise line as the US Government requires. That's why Vancouver is not stopped on the way to Alaska 😉 only before the home port in Seattle. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ahahn078 said:

Greetings!

I was going through reviews on this ship, and noticed that some of them mentioned that due to the inclement weather around MSC's Ocean Cay Island, they docked in Miami instead. Those reviews also mentioned that everyone regardless of US citizenship had to disembark and go through a chaotic immigration system. Did this happen to you? Were you also docked in a spot where you had to take a taxi to wherever you wanted to go?

Per US law, any ship that leaves a US port and stops at a non US port must go through the immigration process upon arrival in a US port.  It is similar to the process on debarkation day.  All passengers must leave the ship and clear immigration.  They can not reboard until all passengers have cleared immigration.  

The problems occur because some passengers ignore the requirement and stay onboard until they are tracked down to go through immigration, leaving thousands of passengers to wait in the terminal until they finally arrive.

I have experienced this in Miami on MSC and Royal.  The MSC experience, while chaotic was far better than the clueless Royal process, where the passengers could not begin to reboard until almost 2 PM.

You can get taxis into Miami and there could be shore excursions available.  Your best bet on these days is to disembark, go into town and do your thing until after lunch and return to the ship.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

If it is a US port of call after a foreign port of call all passengers must clear customs so this means getting off the ship and doing so. This is not just for MSC but for any cruise line as the US Government requires. That's why Vancouver is not stopped on the way to Alaska 😉 only before the home port in Seattle. 

Makes sense; thanks!

10 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Per US law, any ship that leaves a US port and stops at a non US port must go through the immigration process upon arrival in a US port.  It is similar to the process on debarkation day.  All passengers must leave the ship and clear immigration.  They can not reboard until all passengers have cleared immigration.  

The problems occur because some passengers ignore the requirement and stay onboard until they are tracked down to go through immigration, leaving thousands of passengers to wait in the terminal until they finally arrive.

I have experienced this in Miami on MSC and Royal.  The MSC experience, while chaotic was far better than the clueless Royal process, where the passengers could not begin to reboard until almost 2 PM.

You can get taxis into Miami and there could be shore excursions available.  Your best bet on these days is to disembark, go into town and do your thing until after lunch and return to the ship.

Thank you for your thorough response and experience! All of this will be noted in the event we end up docking there due to weather-related reasons.

AH

56 minutes ago, ahahn078 said:

Thank you for your thorough response and experience! All of this will be noted in the event we end up docking there due to weather-related reasons.

AH

We were recently on a Carnival cruise that stopped in Miami.  We took a Lyft from the port to LIttle Havana...total cost for round trip was about $40.  

• Like 1

We stopped in Miami this morning, since we have not hit a foreign port we just showed our cruise card and walked off. Some form of transit is needed to get anywhere. I didn't feel like dealing with Uber( I live in the middle of nowhere and don't use it) so we took a taxi to Bayside marketplace for 20 bucks.

• Like 1

I was on a Meraviglia sailing that was diverted to Miami as a port stop because the ship could not dock in Nassau due to weather. We did, in fact have to clear customs and it was a MAJOR pain for people who really just wanted to stay on the ship, since they had to get off and were not allowed back on until everyone had disembarked. However, since that was the last port stop of our sailing, we did not have to clear customs again upon our return to NYC.

The Port of Miami is HUGE and there is definitely nothing in walking distance. There is a shuttle/trolly, but it fills up fast. Uber/Lyft are easy and cheap. I did as someone else mentioned above and just took a Lyft to Little Havana, had a great lunch, walked around and browsed the shops, then took another Lyft back to the ship. It was not expensive.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I was on a Meraviglia sailing that was diverted to Miami as a port stop because the ship could not dock in Nassau due to weather. We did, in fact have to clear customs and it was a MAJOR pain for people who really just wanted to stay on the ship, since they had to get off and were not allowed back on until everyone had disembarked. However, since that was the last port stop of our sailing, we did not have to clear customs again upon our return to NYC.

The Port of Miami is HUGE and there is definitely nothing in walking distance. There is a shuttle/trolly, but it fills up fast. Uber/Lyft are easy and cheap. I did as someone else mentioned above and just took a Lyft to Little Havana, had a great lunch, walked around and browsed the shops, then took another Lyft back to the ship. It was not expensive.

All understood; thank you!!

Just now, JAGR said:

Can't you take the Coral Way Route Trolley from the port to downtown and then transfer to other trolleys?

Technically yes, but when I was there in October, the trolley was completely full and required a long wait. Personally, my time and avoiding consternation have value, so with Uber/Lyft prices being reasonable, I find that to be a much preferable option. I looked it up and my Lyft ride with tip from the ship to Little Havanah on my October sailing was $16.97.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Technically yes, but when I was there in October, the trolley was completely full and required a long wait. Personally, my time and avoiding consternation have value, so with Uber/Lyft prices being reasonable, I find that to be a much preferable option. I looked it up and my Lyft ride with tip from the ship to Little Havanah on my October sailing was $16.97.

To point out....DH and I did it, for about $40 round trip (including tip).  The taxi drivers at the port wanted at least $25 (without tip) one way.  Uber/Lyfts are abundant there....   Not sure how you would even get a taxi when not at the port!

• Like 1