Which main dining room on Sky Princess?

hlperez

We are six friends sailing on the Sky Princess in June, and I want to book a table for us for dinner each night at the same time.  From experience, which of the 3 main dining rooms is the best?  Which has the nicest decor, best wait staff, most windows, etc?

Thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, hlperez said:

We are six friends sailing on the Sky Princess in June, and I want to book a table for us for dinner each night at the same time.  From experience, which of the 3 main dining rooms is the best?  Which has the nicest decor, best wait staff, most windows, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Same amount of windows in the two midship, and basically, same aft also. 

Same kitchen. Same menu. Same service standard. Decor is very very similar. It's literally just location that's different.. wait staff moves around, ends contracts, etc. 

Pick the one closest to where you'll be pre-dinner, or try them all. 

We generally prefer the Soleil or Estrella on decks 5 and 6 as they are closer to the action so more convenient to most of the pre and post dinner activities we enjoy. But in terms of windows decor and service, there really isn’t much difference. We like to try to find a table and wait team we like the first night and stick with it through the cruise. 

Edited by karatemom2

You'll have to just pick one, and as @reedprincess says, they're all basically the same...not enough difference (in my opinion) to even note.  Once on board, and at the restaurant you pick, see the host/hostess to explain what you want to do.  There's no way to make reservations through their system for same table every night.

I prefer the aftmost dining rooms, Cielo in this case. I've found them all to be pretty much the same, as far as decor and service goes, but I enjoy the more remote feel of being at the aft end and they do indeed have more windows - 3 sides instead of 2.

Arguments against that choice are that it is perhaps a longer walk, nor is it directly adjacent to a bar for a pre-dinner drink, and the stairwell and elevator lobby sometimes get crowded and disorganized at busy times. Some people get confused figuring out how to get to it. Others might be bothered by more motion at the aft end. It's still my first choice though, preferably in one of the far corners or with a modest view of the wake.

Many disagree,

Walkingsoon

All 3 dining rooms have extremely similar set up from decors to table arrangements.  As for the wait staff, there is no telling until you are at your table.  The poster’s questions  are very strange as if there will be any discernible differences in the MDRs when they are no surcharge to all passengers…. 

The only meaningful difference is the location.  We do not like the Aft dining room that you need to get down from one level above.  When there are events the corridor getting to the stair case can be awfully crowded.  

Location is the only difference. I like to be near Vines since we always get a glass of wine of wine there to bring into dinner. 

I find the location of the aft dining room really inconvenient since it can only be accessed from deck 7 or higher

The 3 MDRs are essentially the same and its luck of the draw as to which one has the best management/waiters.  We prefer the two midship dining rooms because they are easier to access.  The aft dining room means heading to the aft of the ship as its only accessible from that staircase or elevator bank.

Our normal procedure is to pre-book one of the mid ship dining rooms for every night. We like dining at 8:00 since it avoids the earlier rush and works well if we decide to go to the earlier show (often scheduled at 7).  Doing the shows before dinner means we avoid having any problem getting decent seats.  Folks who dine early and try to make the early show are generally the last to arrive at the theater.  The later shows also tend to be more crowded.

Although we do make the reservations pre-cruise (just using the app) we will sometimes change our dining times depending on times in the port, the evening entertainment schedule, and whether we want to meet others for cocktails at a certain time.   On most days I find myself at the International Cafe enjoying early cappuccino while DW continues to sleep.  At that time I will look at the daily schedule and if I see a reason to change our dinner reservation it is usually a simple matter to do this on the app.  

Hank

3 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

First time on Princess for many years,  can we just turn up at the MDR when we want to or do we have to book first?

Yes you can, though be prepared to possibly wait a few minutes.  There should be two lines at the hostess stand; one if you have reservations and one without.

51 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yes you can, though be prepared to possibly wait a few minutes.  There should be two lines at the hostess stand; one if you have reservations and one without.

Many thanks for your help