If I go to O’Sheehan’s at 4am…

dmwnc1959

8 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

From 6:03am when it first showed people on the bow until 8:29am when it stopped and settled into the second lock (before it started filling). It then begin to exit into the third lock at 8:48am:

I apologize for completely misunderstanding your first post. I thought you meant 2 1/2 - 3 hours to the 2nd set of locks (on the other side of Gatun Lake). You meant 2 1/2 - 3 hours between when the bow opens to the first set of locks. That sounds correct.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:23 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Who gets up at 4:30 am on a cruise? Just kidding, I'm sure you have your reasons. They always advertise O'Sheehan's as being open 24 hours a day, so I don't see why they wouldn't be open that early. Maybe just a limited menu at that hour?

Maybe he's still up from the night before? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When we transited the canal, once on the Bliss and once on the Jewel, they had snacks and drinks out well before 6 am. They had them in several locations around the ship, including the bow. If you're heading for your spot on the bow as soon as it opens, you'll find drinks and light snacks there - enough to hold you over until you get bored of all the locks looking the same and make a dash for the buffet. If you're on a ship like the Jewel with the Great Outdoors at the aft of the ship, grab some grub there and enjoy the aft view of the locks (after you've enjoyed the thrill of the first lock from the bow!).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an early riser and would be there in the 5 am hour most mornings.. I love my chocolate milk.. dont judge.. Apparently at that time in the AM they must think people want it hot or warm.. I was surprised when I had to ask for COLD choc milk.. Their solution?  Ice cubes... lol..   I know it has nothing to do with answering the OP's question but wanted to share lol.. 

• Haha 4

On 2/12/2024 at 12:11 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

…what’s on the menu? I’m assuming since breakfast doesn’t officially start there until 5:30am, that breakfast items aren’t an option?

The reason I’m asking is for a couple of days I might be getting up super early - I’ll be hungry (of course) - and will want to grab some hearty  eats. And I’m also guessing room service isn’t 24/7. 😁

I am an early riser and I typically like to explore from 3a -5a, maybe I miss the late night menu but in O'Sheehan's, it's typically a large cofee urn? and finger sandwiches (pb&j/some rando sort of meat slathered in mayo) on a tray. The staff is usually deeply involved in cleaning. 

Suggestion:  Do not ingest these items.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smillerholmes said:

I am an early riser and I typically like to explore from 3a -5a, maybe I miss the late night menu but in O'Sheehan's, it's typically a large cofee urn? and finger sandwiches (pb&j/some rando sort of meat slathered in mayo) on a tray. The staff is usually deeply involved in cleaning. 

Suggestion:  Do not ingest these items.

YIKES!!! 😳

I will confess to having been in O'Sheehans a fair few times at that time of the morning.

Always up from the night before, mainly as travelling solo and wanted to talk (well mumble) to home, which is England in the early hours.

They do close the bar for a deep clean, normally will give a few drinks in advance and move to the late night menu.

As you'd imagine I didn't make breakfast and would have a nice lunch 😁

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:23 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Who gets up at 4:30 am on a cruise? Just kidding, I'm sure you have your reasons. They always advertise O'Sheehan's as being open 24 hours a day, so I don't see why they wouldn't be open that early. Maybe just a limited menu at that hour?

What they advertise and what they do is two different things.  Try going at 10:35 am and they are closed from 10:30-11:00 getting ready for lunch. They want even let you in. People are still in there finishing up breakfast. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:20 AM, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I'm an early riser and would be there in the 5 am hour most mornings.. I love my chocolate milk.. dont judge.. Apparently at that time in the AM they must think people want it hot or warm.. I was surprised when I had to ask for COLD choc milk.. Their solution?  Ice cubes... lol..   I know it has nothing to do with answering the OP's question but wanted to share lol.. 

I drink chocolate milk every day too. Does NCL have it on the buffet? Just got off Celebrity- and no cold chocolate milk. They could not make it either- didn’t really understand.  Had hot chocolate every AM.  It was good😀

On 2/13/2024 at 5:18 PM, MyTMo777 said:

When we transited the canal, once on the Bliss and once on the Jewel, they had snacks and drinks out well before 6 am. They had them in several locations around the ship, including the bow. If you're heading for your spot on the bow as soon as it opens, you'll find drinks and light snacks there - enough to hold you over until you get bored of all the locks looking the same and make a dash for the buffet. If you're on a ship like the Jewel with the Great Outdoors at the aft of the ship, grab some grub there and enjoy the aft view of the locks (after you've enjoyed the thrill of the first lock from the bow!).

What time do you recommend getting down to the bow on a Jewel class ship?  Booked on Jade full Panama Canal transit from Panama to Tampa. Thank you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jamin jul said:

I drink chocolate milk every day too. Does NCL have it on the buffet? Just got off Celebrity- and no cold chocolate milk. They could not make it either- didn’t really understand.  Had hot chocolate every AM.  It was good😀

The Encore had chocolate milk last month in the buffet.

39 minutes ago, jamin jul said:

I know the escape had pitchers of cold white and choco milk in the buffet..   Probably cost them as much in milk as I did in booze :D.   Glad you didnt mind the hot milk, but was not what I was expecting nor looking for lol.. 

On 2/12/2024 at 1:27 PM, mking8288 said:

Stock up some extras in the cabin's mini refrigerator, as supplement to what's available in OSH or Local. 

Not uncommon for that 23/7 place to close down for deep overnight cleaning between 4 and 5 AM.  

Not a bad idea to pre-order a 4 AM delivery with a nominal fee/service charge, for the convenience, from room services, many items not easily available otherwise. 

Thank goodness for deep overnight cleaning given all the "bugs" being spread on cruise ship due to close proximity for patrons.

6 hours ago, jamin jul said:

What time do you recommend getting down to the bow on a Jewel class ship?  Booked on Jade full Panama Canal transit from Panama to Tampa. Thank you.

You might want to try and post your question over on this thread…😁

On 2/27/2024 at 10:20 AM, D_And_K_gocruising said:

milk is well over 90% water, ice is just fine..

On 3/1/2024 at 1:00 PM, jamin jul said:

We did a full transit on the Jewel in November 2022. We started through the locks later than we did when we were on the Bliss in 2018. It varies because of the tides and which locks you're going through. They will announce what time you will begin your transit, and I would say to head for the bow about an hour before the time they announce if it really matters to you. Access to the bow may or may not be open, but you can probably wait in line. I didn't head for the bow right away on either cruise, but I did find a spot at the railing eventually on both cruises. Keep in mind that you're going through locks for quite a while in the morning and again in the afternoon, and you're not going to want to spend the entire time on the bow. If you watch one lock from start to finish from the bow railing, you're good. Then watch a full one from the aft railing as well!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

Keep in mind that you're going through locks for quite a while in the morning and again in the afternoon, and you're not going to want to spend the entire time on the bow. If you watch one lock from start to finish from the bow railing, you're good. Then watch a full one from the aft railing as well!

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

I find that instead of being on the bow the view is better higher up on the ship

One thing I do plan on doing the first couple of days (which are sea days) on the ship is to walk around a LOT, especially around the Promenade Deck and up on the Sun Deck (Deck 14 forward) to get a feel for the ship. I know when we transit the canal it’s going to be a very long day, so the shelter and shade provided by the Promenade Deck will come in handy. I think one of the most interesting parts of the transit will be when we are in the locks - seeing the mules up close, waiving to the canal lock crew, getting up close and personal with the lock walls, watching the opening and closing of the lock gates, and just taking it all in. I’ve done small boat transits of river navigation locks and found that to be incredibly fascinating, so the Panama Canal will no doubt be amazing! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

One thing I do plan on doing the first couple of days (which are sea days) on the ship is to walk around a LOT, especially around the Promenade Deck and up on the Sun Deck (Deck 14 forward) to get a feel for the ship. I know when we transit the canal it’s going to be a very long day, so the shelter and shade provided by the Promenade Deck will come in handy. I think one of the most interesting parts of the transit will be when we are in the locks - seeing the mules up close, waiving to the canal lock crew, getting up close and personal with the lock walls, watching the opening and closing of the lock gates, and just taking it all in. I’ve done small boat transits of river navigation locks and found that to be incredibly fascinating, so the Panama Canal will no doubt be amazing! 

I take it that you are on a smaller ship going through the old locks (no mules on the new ones).

We were on the Bliss in January, through the new locks - northbound. There was plenty of time for breakfast prior to hitting anything critically scenic, though schedules may vary.

As previously posted on this thread, on the port day for Panama, they opened the buffet super early for the early tour folks (I was on it) where we took a small ferry half way through the canal.

Now THAT was up close and personal to those locks! Great experience.

3 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I take it that you are on a smaller ship going through the old locks (no mules on the new ones).

We were on the Bliss in January, through the new locks - northbound. There was plenty of time for breakfast prior to hitting anything critically scenic, though schedules may vary.

As previously posted on this thread, on the port day for Panama, they opened the buffet super early for the early tour folks (I was on it) where we took a small ferry half way through the canal.

Now THAT was up close and personal to those locks! Great experience.

I’m booked on Norwegian Jade, so 👍 the historic old locks. I’ve been watching cruise ships go through the Panama Canal on the canal live cams for a quite some time (probably going back +15 years), and there was actually a recent transit of the Norwegian Bliss last November when it cleared Bridge of the Americas Northbound by 130am and was well into the Colcoli Locks by 230a. This was all apparently due to tide restrictions. Talk about an early morning rise, otherwise they would have missed half the canal transit. 😳

Our pre-transit port day is Colon, so I’m definitely doing one of the canal tours from there. I’ve read a detailed blog of the small ferry transit and talk about a long day! I’m sure it’s worth it ($200 per person) but some folks have complained that 5 hours on the ferry was more than they could handle. I think a lot of others have opted for the scenic train crossing and IMAX/observation deck tours. 

18 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’m booked on Norwegian Jade, so 👍 the historic old locks. I’ve been watching cruise ships go through the Panama Canal on the canal live cams for a quite some time (probably going back +15 years), and there was actually a recent transit of the Norwegian Bliss last November when it cleared Bridge of the Americas Northbound by 130am and was well into the Colcoli Locks by 230a. This was all apparently due to tide restrictions. Talk about an early morning rise, otherwise they would have missed half the canal transit. 😳

Our pre-transit port day is Colon, so I’m definitely doing one of the canal tours from there. I’ve read a detailed blog of the small ferry transit and talk about a long day! I’m sure it’s worth it ($200 per person) but some folks have complained that 5 hours on the ferry was more than they could handle. I think a lot of others have opted for the scenic train crossing and IMAX/observation deck tours. 

We crossed in the daylight. If she transited at the time of that one you observed, the passengers would have freaked out.

So, on our cruise we ported near Panama City on the Pacific side; no stop in Colon. My decision was to do the ferry of the train (I love trains). Chose the ferry and it delivered what I had hoped for - that up-close view of the old locks. We went through the first two sets of locks. No idea what the one from the Atlantic side does.

As I recall, the whole tour was 7 hours. About $200 full price. A short bus ride to the boat, several hours onboard and about 1 hour bus ride back to the Bliss.

I had no issue with the duration. We were sitting on bridge chairs. I was on the upper of 2 decks. They offered free water & soda throughout the whole trip. There was a buffet (served) lunch - chicken, rice, some veggies, apples; maybe another item or 2. Nothing great, but it filled the empty tummy.

Easy to roam about the decks to grab views & photos. I'd say it was a lot more revealing than simply riding the rail and looking down at the ships passing through.

Not just a long day, but the meet time on the ship was 5:15 AM. Yikes! It was moved up from the original time scheduled by about an hour.

I think there were 5 bus loads (a full ferry's worth). They opened the buffet super early so getting breakfast was not an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

We crossed in the daylight. If she transited at the time of that one you observed, the passengers would have freaked out.

The transit as it was captured on Live Cams, read Posts 44-50…

Edited by dmwnc1959