Viking Star

Ibis

We are booked on March 18 Viking Star transatlantic and wondering if there is anyone currently on board who would be so kind as to help us with two questions. First, in the category of mealtime included wines is there a Champagne offered or are the included sparkling wines only Prosecco or California sparkling wine? Second question, would it be possible to snap a photo of the section of the purchase wine list that shows the Champagne and sparkling wine; only that section? We do realize we may take wine aboard and there is no corkage fee. Thanks so much in advance to anyone who may help us.

19 minutes ago, Ibis said:

We are booked on March 18 Viking Star transatlantic and wondering if there is anyone currently on board who would be so kind as to help us with two questions. First, in the category of mealtime included wines is there a Champagne offered or are the included sparkling wines only Prosecco or California sparkling wine? Second question, would it be possible to snap a photo of the section of the purchase wine list that shows the Champagne and sparkling wine; only that section? We do realize we may take wine aboard and there is no corkage fee. Thanks so much in advance to anyone who may help us.

We board the Star in about three hours.  After we get settled, I’ll try to answer your questions. But it might be tomorrow.  This IS Valentine’s Day!

FWIW - on the expedition ships, I had the SSBP and no champagnes were included in that package. They did have a decent Prosecco, but I'm not a connoisseur. I want to say the champagne was in the $15-$18/glass range. No idea of the brand.

44 minutes ago, Ibis said:

is there a Champagne offered or are the included sparkling wines only Prosecco or California sparkling wine?

I think I can say without reservation that there is not usually, if ever, a French champagne included at mealtime.  There isn’t usually any sparkling wine included at mealtime, just a white an a red.  But we always have the SSBP, so I am not an expert, but I will ask. But you never know what you will get.  On a Panama cruise over New Years, we had a French champagne in our mini frig.  

On Star, December/January 2024, there was a French Champagne on SSBP. Can't remember name.  After a few days, wine list was reprinted, omitting it. On new list, no other French Champagne available by glass, only bottles. 

Asked sommelier about it, said they still had it, but limited qty.  Told me just ask for it, I did, and they brought it to table, over subsequent days.

18 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Asked sommelier about it, said they still had it, but limited qty.  Told me just ask for it, I did, and they brought it to table, over subsequent days.

A similar thing happened on our expedition cruise. They ran low on a wine we enjoyed and he reserved it for us. It’s always a good idea to introduce yourself  to the sommelier. They know where the bottles are buried. We also track them down at the end of the cruise and give them a personal tip.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

On the Nov/Dec Hawaii and French Polynesia I asked for sparkling wine at lunch on the first day and received it. The next time I asked they said they would have to go and find it. I never got it. Same with bottled mineral water. They never found it I guess. 
I did get two glasses of decent champagne with my birthday dinner at Manfredi’s.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

But we always have the SSBP, so I am not an expert, but I will ask. But you never know what you will get.  On a Panama cruise over New Years, we had a French champagne in our mini frig.

We are also on the March 18th transatlantic crossing. We have the SSBP so hope there is a champagne by the glass within the package , would love to know if that’s the case.

Thank you

This is a year old: https://www.thepreismans.com/venus_menus.htm

They took photos of menus from everywhere on the ship. There is one champagne listed that seems to be at the price point to be included with SSBP, the Drappier Carte d'Or. But if you are up for a bottle of bubbles, their prices are not outrageous. Taittinger for $65. Wine mark-ups on Viking seem to be much kinder than at a typical restaurant in the US.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ibis said:

The SSBP does always offer Champagne - from Champagne region in France - but it is not included in the daily lunch and dinner wines.  You can get Prosecco in the daily included wines at lunch and dinner.

As well, every ships wine list is not identical as Viking does not source from one country and supply globally.  Often the ship is restocking from the ports that they are docking at and some wines/champagnes may or may not be available. 

I have said in previous posts that Veuve Clicquot used to be offered by the glass inside the SSBP on River but not Ocean.  More recently, Veuve is still offered on River, but not as part of SSBP - you have to pay for it by the glass.

Our experience is that there is only one or two at most "Champagne" options if you are looking for Champagne from the Champagne region of France.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Our experience is that there is only one or two at most "Champagne" options if you are looking for Champagne from the Champagne region of France.

The menus in the link I quoted earlier show more options at the Aquavit Bar, so they might have the most flexibility. Aquavit is shown as having Veuve at $70 and Cristal at $175. The latter seems like a bargain, and the Veuve is barely more than what most stores here charge for it. But I guess that makes sense since we have high import duties on champagne in the USA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gymfreak said:

We are also on the March 18th transatlantic crossing. We have the SSBP so hope there is a champagne by the glass within the package , would love to know if that’s the case.

Thank you

I took this in the explorers lounge last night

IMG_6487.thumb.jpeg.bad752e44eb930d44c62ecd0f20559aa.jpeg

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/14/2024 at 7:18 AM, Ibis said:

would it be possible to snap a photo of the section of the purchase wine list that shows the Champagne and sparkling wine; only that section? We do realize we may take wine aboard and there is no corkage fee. Thanks so much in advance to anyone who may help us.

Here is what I took in the Explorers Lounge last night. A few by the glass and four by the bottle. 

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I took this in the explorers lounge last night

IMG_6487.thumb.jpeg.bad752e44eb930d44c62ecd0f20559aa.jpeg

The Jacquart is what is in the room mini-frig.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for those most informative posts! SantaFe1, a special thanks for the time and effort to send photos while on board. Looks like for sure there will be no sparkling wine or Champagne offered with meals. Only two Champagnes on the list to purchase and then, of those two, only one; Jacquart is offered by the glass. Am I correct to assume Jacquart by the glass would be available on the package? Also are bottled waters such as Evian or Acqua served on board or must you be on the package to ask for those? Do all categories of rooms receive a bottle of Jacquard in the mini fridge? We are in PV so perhaps that doesn’t qualify for Champagne?? 😞.  Once again, thanks so much to everyone for their helpful replies. Any other information or suggestions will be gladly accepted! And most especially from those currently on board. Thank you again 😊

Thanks for posting the menus, but in 10 Viking cruises we have never seen more than two "Champagne" options.  Sure there are sparkling and prosecco but the OP is looking for Champagne options.  We also find that they can be different based on the region the ship is sailing in.

I guess that Viking does not have much call for Champagne.  

Oh, and on the recent River Cruise that we were on, the Veuve was on the menu but they did not have it on board.  There was only sparkling and prosecco available.  No Champagne.

I would recommend to @Ibis that if Champagne is important to you, to take it onboard.  Buy it duty free on your journey to the ship.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ibis said:

Am I correct to assume Jacquart by the glass would be available on the package? Also are bottled waters such as Evian or Acqua served on board or must you be on the package to ask for those? Do all categories of rooms receive a bottle of Jacquard in the mini fridge? We are in PV so perhaps that doesn’t qualify for Champagne?? 😞.  

Yes, the Jacquart is available by the glass on the SSBP.  we are in PV and it is in the frig.  Once that is gone, you can ask to have wine delivered each day.  As for the bottled water— I asked this morning at the Viking Bar for Perrier or Pellegrino only to be told they didn’t have it.  But I’ve had it on other cruises so it pays to ask.  

• Thanks 3

Thanks again to all for prompt and helpful info:-)  Looking forward to hearing more news about cuisine and everything in general  from those on board. One more question… if we do carry on several bottles, as it now seems we will be doing, can those be checked, properly wrapped and packed of course, or must they be in hand luggage? 

If you are bringing on board with you, it can be in checked luggage or hand luggage.  No requirement to declare or expose it, as it is fully allowed.

If you are bringing from home, it would have to be checked luggage, where if you were bringing from a connection point duty free, then you will likely be hand carrying it.

Either way, no concern.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 9:12 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, the Jacquart is available by the glass on the SSBP.  we are in PV and it is in the frig.  Once that is gone, you can ask to have wine delivered each day.  As for the bottled water— I asked this morning at the Viking Bar for Perrier or Pellegrino only to be told they didn’t have it.  But I’ve had it on other cruises so it pays to ask.  

We were on the same cruise in a PV and we had Prosecco in our fridge not the Jaquart. But we had the SSP so no big deal. 

1 hour ago, KiwiClaire said:

We were on the same cruise in a PV and we had Prosecco in our fridge not the Jaquart. But we had the SSP so no big deal. 

Not trying to "split hairs" here, but the question is whether "Champagne" is available on the SSBP.  We have been on 10 Viking cruises and never seen "Champagne" included on the SSBP.  Prosecco yes, Cava yes, Sparkling yes, but not Champagne.

So is the Jacquart on the menu above inside the SSBP?  It is certainly available to pay for by the glass, but is it in the SSBP?  I thought that $15 per glass was outside the beverage menu pricing ceiling?

I could be wrong...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Not trying to "split hairs" here, but the question is whether "Champagne" is available on the SSBP.  We have been on 10 Viking cruises and never seen "Champagne" included on the SSBP.  Prosecco yes, Cava yes, Sparkling yes, but not Champagne.

So is the Jacquart on the menu above inside the SSBP?  It is certainly available to pay for by the glass, but is it in the SSBP?  I thought that $15 per glass was outside the beverage menu pricing ceiling?

I could be wrong...

That's how I see it. Though I'm not a stickler for champagne. To me, it's more of a French pride thing.

39 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

That's how I see it. Though I'm not a stickler for champagne. To me, it's more of a French pride thing.

Yeah... I am flanked by two people both in the WSET program.  One completed level three and one in the middle of level three.  I have to watch my terminology carefully.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I could be wrong...

I had a glass of Jacquart on the SSBPone night. The package covers drinks up tom$18 now, I believe. I didn’t like it that much.  We also had a bottle in our frig.  We never opened it.  We had wine delivered instead.  On some cruises they have taken the sparkling wine out in order to give us wine.  On this one, they just left the Jacquart, which probably tells you something…