Wine Package HAL

Not sure about bars, but we have had wine from wine packages in our room and in the MDR and specialty restaurants. If you open a bottle at dinner and don’t finish it they will store it for you for the next evening. Even if you dine in a different place the next night. I can’t imagine that you would be restricted by where you drink it.

• Like 1

Wine packages can be used in the MDR, specialty dining or in your room.

they say they are not to be consumed in bars but so far, I haven’t heard of that being enforced as long as you bring it with you.

You can order it for the MDR and ask that some bottles of your choice be sent to your room or to another specialty dining venue.

They will store any unfinished wine for you in the MDR or send it to your specialty restaurant - no problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As 4* Mariner we get discounted wine packages. We have purchased wine packages in bars, and taken the remainder of a consumed bottle to the dining room, to finish with dinner… and this at the suggestion of our bar stewart… 

• Like 1

If you are able to get a discount as a 4 or 5 star Mariner, I suggest you wait until you are onboard before ordering it.  On our last cruise on the Westerdam, we ordered the 8-bottle package and were supposed to get a 50% discount.  We ordered before we boarded the ship.  Noticed on my credit card statement that we were charged full price.  Brought it up to the front desk, even showed them our credit card statement and they said they would take care of it.  Didn't happen, so they still owe us about $300.  We decided rather than fight with them, we would just choose another cruise line for our next cruise.  Leaving this weekend for a 33 day cruise on Seabourn.

Ray

14 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

If you are able to get a discount as a 4 or 5 star Mariner, I suggest you wait until you are onboard before ordering it.  On our last cruise on the Westerdam, we ordered the 8-bottle package and were supposed to get a 50% discount.  We ordered before we boarded the ship.  Noticed on my credit card statement that we were charged full price.  Brought it up to the front desk, even showed them our credit card statement and they said they would take care of it.  Didn't happen, so they still owe us about $300.  We decided rather than fight with them, we would just choose another cruise line for our next cruise.  Leaving this weekend for a 33 day cruise on Seabourn.

Ray

So Carnival wins with you booking a higher price cruise 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, REOVA said:

So Carnival wins with you booking a higher price cruise 😉 

That is one way to look at it.  My intention was to warn those who are entitled to a discount on a wine package that if they buy it before boarding they will be charged full price.  They will then have to stand in line at the front desk to have the charge corrected and even then it might not be corrected.  On Seabourn, you don't need a wine package as drinks are included.

Ray

• Like 1

Another reason to wait to purchase onboard is that your waiter or wine steward get credit for the sale, not money but some type of recognition.  

Often a favorite wine may be out of stock or off the list altogether.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Another reason to wait to purchase onboard is that your waiter or wine steward get credit for the sale, not money but some type of recognition.  

Often a favorite wine may be out of stock or off the list altogether.  

Yes. They will appreciate the credit for the sale.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

That is one way to look at it.  My intention was to warn those who are entitled to a discount on a wine package that if they buy it before boarding they will be charged full price.  They will then have to stand in line at the front desk to have the charge corrected and even then it might not be corrected.  On Seabourn, you don't need a wine package as drinks are included.

Ray

I found that getting credit on errors (which is happening more frequently) is to put it in the Navigator app where it's documented. Standing in line at Guest Services or having someone say they will do it is futile, especially if it has to go to a specific department Manager for approval (like beverage) who drag their feet. When all else fails, my credit card company reverses the charge (if within time period). 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

If you have Club Orange on NS - would it be better to wait until dinner in the CO dining room and order from the CO wine steward? Are they really able to tell you what wines are actually in stock?

Yes and yes.