Viking or Emerald much difference?

FLCruZar

Hi

Booking a Christmas market cruise and deciding between the two.  We have sailed Viking before, but not Emerald.  Itinerary and booking price nearly the same - Emerald being slightly less expensive. Would appreciate opinions of those that may have sailed both. 

thanks

We have sailed both - a couple of times.  

Viking often asks for full payment months in advance.  Emerald does not - unless you go with one of their "super early bird" special fares.

Emerald includes gratuities - and airport transfers (even if you book your air on your own, and/or come in a day or two ahead).  Viking does not include gratuities - and only includes airport transfers if you book air through them.  Although, you can book transfers with them if you wish. 

Two of the biggest details that can affect your cruise (IMHO) are the cruise manager - and the kitchen crew --> neither of which you have any control over. 

We have had good experiences with both companies.  I would look closely at the itineraries.  Are the stops the same?  What time of day are you in port? (ie: if you arrive and leave early, will the markets even be open?)  Not sure which river you are looking at, but look at where the boat is docked.  For example, in Budapest, you can walk off the boat and most likely hit a market on your own.  In Vienna and Nuremburg, you will need some type of transport to the city centre.  Do you have one stop like this?  Or are there many?  I would travel with either company again - if the details work out. 

One thing to note, if you book Viking, the hallways on the top 2 cabin decks are off centre.  This is to allow for the space required with a full balcony.  French balcony rooms on Viking are smaller than the lower deck Aquarium class cabins... So look at cabin sizes with both lines. 

If you are doing a Christmas market cruise, do you think you need a balcony (given the fact that it will be cold, and sunset is quite early).   just as an fyi.

Not sure if this helps...

Fran

• Like 2

On 2/17/2024 at 3:17 PM, FLCruZar said:

Hi

Booking a Christmas market cruise and deciding between the two.  We have sailed Viking before, but not Emerald.  Itinerary and booking price nearly the same - Emerald being slightly less expensive. Would appreciate opinions of those that may have sailed both. 

thanks

Have not sailed Emerald...

But, I find it difficult to compare pricing between lines and if price is a decision, then you have to look at many things, but it often comes down to your price per night on the ship, rather than Emerald is X per person and Viking is Y per person for the cabin.

Look at:

• Are the two cruises the same number of nights?
  • Do they dock in the same cities, or is one going to smaller cities and ports? (This can be the case)
  • Viking include wine and beer with lunch and dinner.  Do Emerald?
  • Viking include one excursion in each port - do Emerald?
  • Viking include Wifi - do Emerald?
  • Viking can have free air and / or transfers, or not if you don't book air through Viking

So many things go into price that it is rarely apples to apples.

We have tried to compare Viking to other lines and when you are looking at price there is always a discrepancy that makes it difficult to say that one is more price comparative than the other.

• Like 1

In my experience Emerald includes everything that Viking does and last I knew included gratuities where Viking does not.  My experience on Emerald was that the usually had superior docking locations to Viking and were also less likely to be rafted.  

12 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Viking does include gratuities. Maybe that's only for us UK passengers though.

Yep, from the US terms and conditions "Gratuities on board and on land are not included in your Cruise Fare."

19 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Viking does include gratuities. Maybe that's only for us UK passengers though.

Canada falls under the US Terms as well and gratuities are not included for us.

On 2/21/2024 at 10:51 PM, FLCruZar said:

Thanks for your responses.  We ended up booking Emerald. Decided to try a line that would be new to us.   Now just have to book air, pre and post accommodations.  

With Emerald, airport transfers are included - even if you don't book air with them.  AND - they will provide a transfer even if you go in a few days early.  You have to ask for that, but they will provide a transfer.  

Fran

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franski said:

With Emerald, airport transfers are included - even if you don't book air with them.  AND - they will provide a transfer even if you go in a few days early.  You have to ask for that, but they will provide a transfer.  

Fran

I will definitely try to take advantage of this benefit!

thanks

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:16 PM, franski said:

Viking does not include gratuities

Unfortunately the OP doesn't show their location on their profile as terms and conditions are different depending where you book. T&C on the UK and Australia sites differ from the US site.

Bookings on the UK site do include gratuities, air (or train if preferred) travel and transfers. And immediate payment is not required.

On 2/20/2024 at 8:16 PM, franski said:

French balcony rooms on Viking are smaller than the lower deck Aquarium class cabins

The boats are the same no matter where one books 😁but I contend the French balcony and aquarium class cabins have exactly the same floorspace. Viking include the bulkhead width in their room dimensions. The only use that can be made of that space is the window sill in the bulkhead.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pontac said:

The boats are the same no matter where one books 😁but I contend the French balcony and aquarium class cabins have exactly the same floorspace. Viking include the bulkhead width in their room dimensions. The only use that can be made of that space is the window sill in the bulkhead.

The Viking website identifies that the Aquarium class rooms are 150 sq ft - while the French Balcony rooms are 135 sq feet.  You do get a full glass "wall" with the French Balcony, but not sure losing the bulkhead results in more (ie: equal) space.  The extra window size is important for some - but the extra cost isn't worth it for many.

Lots of people don't look at cabin sizes before they book... and if size is important, then it is worth taking some time to look at details like this.

Fran

Edited by franski
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Aquarium class may be 150 sf, but some of that is the bump-out under the windows, which creates horizontal storage space but no floor space (unless you are able to walk across the top of the bump-out!).  I think in a French balcony, the floor space just in front of the balcony window replaces the bump-out.  If the floor plans of the two rooms are drawn to scale, the actual floor space (interior) in both rooms appears to be about the same.

Edited by sharkster77

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

135 is too small for me to consider.  Takes me back to our early inside-room cruises on NCL and Princess.  No more.

😁Not every cruiser can afford to travel in a Royal One-Bedroom Suite like your good self

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pontac said:

😁Not every cruiser can afford to travel in a Royal One-Bedroom Suite like your good self

True, but AMA and Scenic cabins are larger (and their ships have enough seats in the lounge for every passenger, thanks to the lower passenger counts).  The cheapest cabins on AMA are 160-170sf and the majority are 210-235.  These are much more reasonable sizes, and offer the option to do more than "sleep and shower" in the cabin.

• Like 3

I didn’t even think of cabins for this cruise.  Since it will be December, not much scenic cruising time.  We did have a duck view on Viking last year and it was fine.  Last minute booking and it was GTY, I wouldn’t hesitate booking cabin again.  This was also in December and minimal scenic cruising on the Rhine. 

As much as a cabin might be a tight fit and not enough room to really change clothes except in the entrance area - which is the biggest open area - we just don't spend any time in the cabin other than to sleep.  We don't use the balcony, and if there is something to see at 4am or 4pm we go up on deck to see it.

"Duck View" - Like that one.

13 hours ago, FLCruZar said:

I didn’t even think of cabins for this cruise.  Since it will be December, not much scenic cruising time.  We did have a duck view on Viking last year and it was fine.  Last minute booking and it was GTY, I wouldn’t hesitate booking cabin again.  This was also in December and minimal scenic cruising on the Rhine. 

Almost always book Aquarium class...  Only difference was 1) in China - where we booked the last cabin, and 2) in Vietnam, as I wasn't sure if I could manage the heat - and felt having a window to look out of might make things a little less disappointing if I needed to spend extra time on board. 

One cruise we booked lowest category - and we were upgraded to a French balcony.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would (went in early October - so still lots of light...).  I needed to ensure the curtains were closed if I was wandering around the cabin partially dressed.😲 Not an issue with the smaller window...

Fran

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Yup we’re building up quite a selection of names for the basement cabins. Of course ‘in the best possible taste’.

Of course in the best possible taste.  We don't care what you paid for your cabin or where it is on the ship as long as you are a good person.

On 3/1/2024 at 10:01 PM, franski said:

Fran

We're arriving a few days earlier, arranged on our own. Even then does Emerald arrange transportation if I call and ask?

14 hours ago, Kylie said:

How do you find information about your cruise on the Emerald website?   

First select river cruise, the the country or region (e.g. Centra Europe), then from that page select the cruise you're on, the on that page select View Itinerary